so...what's your OD of choice?

What's Hot

Comments

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12727
    I gig the Okko Diablo every week - its brilliant, plus it doesn't have to sound like Gregor Hilden...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    edited August 2014

Depends.

A "Go anywhere, with any amp" lead boost, Boss SD-1.

A grittier, lead boost into a Marshall a Bad Monkey (doesn't work well with all amps IMO)

A stand alone alternative to a dirty amp (into a clean amp), Marshall Mk1 Gunvor, or Blackstar HT-Dual cover most things (for me)

For a low-gain Hendrix-y type sounds a Zvex Distortron (again into a clean amp) does that well.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Paul Cochrane Tim for me. It does seem better at higher volumes though.

At the other end of the scale, an old Arion SOD1 replaced my Bad Monkey and sounds way better than it should for the money.
  • meltedbuzzboxmeltedbuzzbox Frets: 10340
    Nobels ODR-1 over here. 

Costs sod all, can take a beating and is totally transparent. Does light or full on drive and you can always hear your guitars natural sound underneath it at all times. 
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • allicioallicio Frets: 221
    VL effects od-1 vintage, made a daft mistake selling it so have reordered one from Vincent in Paris. Finest od ive ever played!
  • meltedbuzzbox;324293" said:
    Nobels ODR-1 over here. 

Costs sod all, can take a beating and is totally transparent. Does light or full on drive and you can always hear your guitars natural sound underneath it at all times. 
    This seems a bit of a sleeper pedal...
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73238
    As of now, possibly the Mesa Flux Drive, but I haven't had it long so I'm not totally sure. Otherwise, the RAT II, set low like an overdrive.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7222
    edited August 2014
    Boss SD-1 would do for me.

Lost my original one to a heavy foot stomp in the early '90s. Still think they are great for what they do and pretty reliable for the money as well.
    Guitar Bomb & Nembrini Audio Summer Giveaway 
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6629
    edited August 2014
    I use a Danelectro Coolcat Transparent OD.

My reason for owning it is that it was free with a Guitarist subscription many moons ago (I was using a crappy multi FX unit at the time).

It's a keeper as it sounds great and is solidly built. Really excellent pedal. Does exactly what I need it to do, with a slight crunch on the amp and then the OD to tip it further over the edge. Sweet.

Also own their regular Drive and Fuzz pedals, and ditto the Transparent OD, although in my current band those levels of dirt don't get used so much. The Transparent OD is my core "dirty" sound, used through most of my set.

• xSkarloeyxSkarloey Frets: 2962
    I'm currently still in the honeymoon period with my new Marshall DSL 5, so that's got all the drive I want right there without pedals. But otherwise it's the Bad Monkey. The bass tone control is useful because it helps compensate for the boxiness of my old Orange amp if I don't want that sound.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17948
    edited August 2014 tFB Trader
    I've tried a boat load of stuff and much of it is good so I'll only mention the truly exceptional.
    I should add I've never tried a Timmy or a Klon though I have tried lots of boutique stuff like the Boiling Point, Zen Drive, Prince of Tone, Xotic SL and AC, etc.

My main issue with ODs is standard TS types make Fender amps with a lot of bass on the clean sound like they are being played down a phone line so I either like pedals that have a bass control or just have a more solid bass response. 

My number one all time OD is the Liquid Sunshine MKII. It's just magical. Perfect frequency balance, likes every amp and every guitar, works into clean and dirty, stacks with everything and also makes pedals that don't work well with an amp (like a Fuzz into a bright Fender) work well when stacked into the LS. It doesn't have very much gain, but what it does it does really well.

The other OD I really like and currently use is the MXR Badass OD. I think it's very close to a Way Huge Green Rhino (both Tripps designs with the 100Hz control) It's essentially a TS/SD type, but with more gain, more level, a very well voiced bass control and a second mode that adds some chunky low mids. There are probably any number of other pedals I could do the same with (Prince of Tone and Fulldrive II spring to mind), but this is my current favorite and it isn't stupidly priced.
    You don't seem to hear much about them, but I think it's way better than for example a Zen Drive. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Need. To. Try. The MXR @monquixote mentioned, being as I love the Distortion3, and my Flange/chorus and phasers of choice are all MXR.......

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• FazerFazer Frets: 472
    i rotate these around.
    the elements is an op-amp swiss army knife with so many option and flexibility
    the others all have jfet juiciness
    the barbershop does the best open clean/dirty sound and always has this magical way of opening up other drives when placed after them
    the f*ck has a great cutting sound and 2 unique broken sounds, triggered with either a threshold control or momentary footswitch
    and the manifold is just great and natural sounding with tons of gain and 3 eq options

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17948
    tFB Trader
    mike_l said:
    Need. To. Try. The MXR @monquixote mentioned, being as I love the Distortion3, and my Flange/chorus and phasers of choice are all MXR.......
    I'll make sure I bring it if we end up having a gearfest.
    Coolio. Let me know if there's anything of mine you want to try. I know MattG wants to try an EVH wah, so that's coming....

• HalikusHalikus Frets: 59
    Always a toss up between my Boo OD and my T-Rex MAB.  Generally only use either to tighten a gain channel, I use the MAB when I want a bit more gain but not much change in the core tone and the Boo when I want to tighten the lows and hump the mids a bit.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Kingslayer
  • Well, it was a Menatone Wreckt, but after lending it to a friend for a long time it's come back to me sounding a bit like a wet fart (sorry, it's the best way I could think to describe it).

I picked up a cheap Wampler Paisley that I'm quite liking at the minute too, but haven't really had time to spend getting to know it. I was using a Wampler Plextortion for a while, but I'm still not sure where I stand on that - it seems a bit dependent on the amp (and I'm tending towards solid state most of the time).

You don't seem to see much Menatone stuff mentioned really - I really rate it. I would certainly get another Wreckt, but I keep meaning to get it looked at first ... of course I haven't yet and it's been 12 months.

• d8md8m Frets: 2434
    If I had to choose one I would probably go for coke..........

:))

jokes, Im loving the bad monkey!

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 322
    edited August 2014
    Fredric effects zombie Klone into a crunchy amp does it for me and just clean it up with the guitar volume
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom