Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any albums that you were late to catch on to?

What's Hot
SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 876
edited November 2021 in Music
I don't know if anyone else listens to BBC 6 Music but Steve Lamacq does an album club on Wednesdays, basically using his words, "Revisiting classic albums in full, plus in-depth interview with the artists who made them."

Anyway today it was AC DC with their album Back in Black. I've just realised I'm probably the only 62 year old who has never heard this album in full. In fact really I missed AC DC going from prog rock straight to punk/new wave. Anyway what a great album and can't believe I have never heard it in full before.

Any albums that you were late to catch on to?
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• BloodEagleBloodEagle Frets: 5320
    edited November 2021
    The Clash - London Calling. Always reminded me of aging punks going on about The Clash when I was a disinterested teenager listening to Black Flag, but it turns out it is indeed a cracking album.

and

Hawkwind - Warrior on the Edge of Time - I'd always considered this kind of stuff laughable hippy nonsense until during lockdown last year when I decided to push myself out of my comfort zone (musically speaking). Great album, the hippy mumbo jumbo stuff is brilliant
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25574
    Aretha Franklin's "Young gifted and black"

I only got it last year.

Amazing album. Her voice is sublime.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • The Bends. Band on the run. Up the bracket, if that's a classic. I think it is.

Wings were before my time but the other two I was only vaguely aware of when they came out. Don't know why I didn't pick up on them til relatively recently. Love them both
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 894
    edited November 2021
    I don't know if this classes or not. But I have never been a Radiohead fan. Just before lockdown I saw In Rainbows the basement sessions on YouTube

I now think that album is one of the best I've ever heard 

I really like this thread and will definitely try out each album that gets mentioned.

If anyone hasn't listen to Love - Forever Changes. That's one of my favorite classic albums

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • horsehorse Frets: 1648
    Aretha Franklin's "Young gifted and black"

I only got it last year.

Amazing album. Her voice is sublime.
    I love that one too - the whole thing just sounds so good to my ears
  • For me, it was OK computer.

I heard it as a young muse fan, but it didn't really click. I found it a bit weird. 

It's absolutely one of my favourites now, and the special edition has some awesome tracks with some fun guitar pieces. 
  • For me, it was OK computer.

I heard it as a young muse fan, but it didn't really click. I found it a bit weird. 

It's absolutely one of my favourites now, and the special edition has some awesome tracks with some fun guitar pieces. 
    Man of War is possibly one of the best songs they have done. 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Define "classic".

For me, I've recently bought and listened through Temple of Low Men and loved it.

And seeing as I was only 7 when it released, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. I'll consider that a classic by now.
    Just so people are aware. I have no idea what any of these words mean.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

I found it last week in a charity shop and bought it because the cover - which doesn't even show the band's name or the title until you open out the booklet - looked interesting. I suspect that like me, many of you won't have even heard of it or the band... but it turns out that it is actually an important and influential album.

I also suspect that many of you won't like it. Classic rock it most definitely isn't :). I'm not *certain* I do yet, but I think so. Which probably makes me a hipster, but I don't really know (or care).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • Define "classic".

For me, I've recently bought and listened through Temple of Low Men and loved it.

And seeing as I was only 7 when it released, Whatever People Say I Am, That's What I'm Not. I'll consider that a classic by now.
    Yeah, I may change the title a little as really the classic bit is irrelevant / unneeded in the title as does recent. I wrote the post thinking about the album I'd heard and perhaps how I was thinking about it.

My last line sums it up better.... Any albums that you were late to catch on to?
    ICBM said:

I found it last week in a charity shop and bought it because the cover - which doesn't even show the band's name or the title until you open out the booklet - looked interesting. I suspect that like me, many of you won't have even heard of it or the band... but it turns out that it is actually an important and influential album.

I also suspect that many of you won't like it. Classic rock it most definitely isn't :). I'm not *certain* I do yet, but I think so. Which probably makes me a hipster, but I don't really know (or care).

Never really lived up to the hype to my mind, but I should give it another listen now. It's pretty distinctive and expressive.
  • Changed the thread title from: Classic Albums You Have Only Recently Caught On To!? 

To: Any albums that you were late to catch on to?

Just seems more relevant:-)
  • ICBM said:

Great album! Some amazing songwriting and I like the lo fi production. Also "Neutral Milk Hotel" is such a great nonsensical name, almost like one of those phrases linguists make up to make points about stuff (like "colourless green ideas sleep furiously"). 
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    I remember Neutral Milk Hotel being mentioned in connection with REM for some reason, back in the 80s. Sounded like something I’d be into.

I rescued my girlfriend’s vinyl collection from her attic… I must confess to enjoying the occasional spin of Dark Side Of The Moon.
  • WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5636
    Kraftwerk’s entire back catalogue. It was an acquired taste over a long time, despite early efforts - and now I love love love it, and realise how important it is/was to everything that came after it. 
  • Weirdly, I heard of Neutral Milk Hotel the other day for the first time, because they're the favourite band of a character in Parks & Recreation (which I've also got to very late).

Back on topic though, and I'd say Blast Tyrant by Clutch. I'd heard a few of their songs and didn't mind them but hadn't had my socks blown off... then one day I thought I'd give them another go and put BT on. What an album! Just one monstrous groove from beginning to end, not a single duff track.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    I'm always finding stuff from 20, 30 years ago that I didn't listen to or dismissed. 
  • The Idiot - by Iggy.

I have the first two Stooges albums, and probably heard The Idiot a few times over the years, but I never actually listened to it - properly - until recently. Can’t believe I never gave it any appreciation before - what an LP !!!

Neither had I ever heard Rory Gallagher until last year. Wow !!!!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Hot Rats fits the bill for me. More mainstream sounding than I expected - quite accessible really
  • ICBM said:

It's a fantastic album. I really like those Elephant 6 bands.
    Apples in Stereo have a song called strawberry fire that sounds like how Oasis wanted to