Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Any albums that you were late to catch on to?

What's Hot

Comments

• The Idiot - by Iggy.

I have the first two Stooges albums, and probably heard The Idiot a few times over the years, but I never actually listened to it - properly - until recently. Can’t believe I never gave it any appreciation before - what an LP !!!

Neither had I ever heard Rory Gallagher until last year. Wow !!!!
    Oh yes another great choice and Lust for life. The latter being in my list of favorite albums

Instagram is Rocknrollismyescape -

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CookiemonsterCookiemonster Frets: 894
    edited November 2021
    Weirdly, I heard of Neutral Milk Hotel the other day for the first time, because they're the favourite band of a character in Parks & Recreation (which I've also got to very late).

Back on topic though, and I'd say Blast Tyrant by Clutch. I'd heard a few of their songs and didn't mind them but hadn't had my socks blown off... then one day I thought I'd give them another go and put BT on. What an album! Just one monstrous groove from beginning to end, not a single duff track.
    I got into clutch through spacegrass but BT is probably the best album. Psychic Warfare is immense though. 

FOR SALE - Catalinbread Echorec, Sonic Blue classic player strat and a Digitech bad monkey

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • For the Radiohead fans, or anyone that likes Wilco around YHF but wished it was a little less experimental (sacralidge I know)
    Try this album by Grizzly Bear.

https://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/17037-shields/

• Some of the Electric Light Orchestra albums in the 80's. I was an 80's child but missed a lot of them! The Balance of Power one was a great album.
  • chris78chris78 Frets: 10237
    I’ve always despised Fleetwood Mac. Last year, my band mate told me about Peter Green. I’m embarrassed about my lack of knowledge, but fuck me, what a player, what a voice, what touch.
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24584
    Moved to Music subforum
  • HootsmonHootsmon Frets: 16315
    edited November 2021
    I wasn't late tae catch on to it but YOU were........Fish out of Water by Chris Squire

If you like Yes........

I love the descending flute line at the start of this

tae be or not tae be
  • Weirdly, I heard of Neutral Milk Hotel the other day for the first time, because they're the favourite band of a character in Parks & Recreation (which I've also got to very late).

Back on topic though, and I'd say Blast Tyrant by Clutch. I'd heard a few of their songs and didn't mind them but hadn't had my socks blown off... then one day I thought I'd give them another go and put BT on. What an album! Just one monstrous groove from beginning to end, not a single duff track.
    I got into clutch through spacegrass but BT is probably the best album. Psychic Warfare is immense though. 

Agreed, and so is Earth Rocker.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Quite a lot I guess, but these stick out.

The bends by Radiohead passed me by, I don't like OK computer at all, so it was a long time until I checked anything else. I'm still not a fan, but I love the Bends.

Metallica's Pre black album work. I mean I was late to the black album, but it took me a long time to look at their previous releases.

Nirvana - I was in secondary school when Nevermind was released, I was into GnR and I just didn't get it. I hated the way it became an instant trend and suddenly grunge kids were everywhere. I gave no thought to grunge until a mate leant me an Alice in Chains album at the end of the 90's I then picked up Nevermind on a whim and, yeah, it's great.

Fleetwood Mac - Not the Peter Green Era, which a guitar teacher got me into, but the Dreams / Tusk era. I just had them down as a very out of date pop band. Didn't hear dreams in full until 3 or 4 years ago when I watched a documentary, then I got Tusk. Very different but love both.
  • When The Black album came out by Metallica I ended up selling it after buying it as I thought it wasn’t a patch on kill em all, or ride the lightning etc , about 22 years later I Really liked it ,about 30 years later it’s one of my faves 
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4419
    edited November 2021

Nirvana - I was in secondary school when Nevermind was released, I was into GnR and I just didn't get it. I hated the way it became an instant trend and suddenly grunge kids were everywhere. I gave no thought to grunge until a mate leant me an Alice in Chains album at the end of the 90's I then picked up Nevermind on a whim and, yeah, it's great.

This has just reminded me of another one: Pearl Jam, Ten. I'm so late to it I've still never heard it. I liked the singles when they came out, but I just remember out of nowhere it seemed like everyone loved them and there were Pearl Jam t-shirts everywhere I looked. Being a shithead 18 year-old, it put me right off them, and even though I've liked pretty much every song I've heard of theirs since, I've just never got into them. I really should remedy that, I feel quite embarrassed about what a hipster I'm being about them even as I'm typing this confounded 
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4499
    Steely Dan - Can't Buy a Thrill

I knew most of the songs on it, but had no idea they were by Steely Dan. Or from this album.

Great fucking album!

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

• RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1080
    Donald Fagan- The Nightly. A charity shop buy, and something that caught my eye after I'd bought a Steely Dan Best Of last year. 

For anyone who knows the album, I love the title track. I f I started my own radio station it would be modelled on the description of the mythical station in that track- "jazz and conversation...". Nice. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • SlopeSoarerSlopeSoarer Frets: 876
    edited November 2021
    ICBM said:
    Neutral Milk Hotel - In The Aeroplane Over The Sea

I found it last week in a charity shop and bought it because the cover - which doesn't even show the band's name or the title until you open out the booklet - looked interesting. I suspect that like me, many of you won't have even heard of it or the band... but it turns out that it is actually an important and influential album.

I also suspect that many of you won't like it. Classic rock it most definitely isn't . I'm not *certain* I do yet, but I think so. Which probably makes me a hipster, but I don't really know (or care).

Neutral Milk Hotel are a band I know the name of but that was really as far as it went for me. Just listened to the In The Aeroplane Over The Sea and really enjoyed it. It reminds me of (or should that be the other way around looking at time scales) Clap Your Hands Say Yeah (not quite as quirky).

Good stuff!

And I can probably play some of it:-)
  • StuckfastStuckfast Frets: 2451
    I've been getting quite into Steeleye Span... I had always written off most of their output as being cheesy pop-folk but it really isn't. There's some great stuff on nearly all of their albums.

Also, Supertramp. Much weirder and much more interesting than you expect!
  • proggyproggy Frets: 5835
    Moved to Music subforum

Who's that by?

For me it was The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking by Roger Waters. I got around to buying it around the early 2000s, and it was released in 1984. What a great album it is too. Not as good as Radio K.A.O.S though.
  • The Bends. Band on the run. Up the bracket, if that's a classic. I think it is.

Wings were before my time but the other two I was only vaguely aware of when they came out. Don't know why I didn't pick up on them til relatively recently. Love them both
    Up the Bracket is the best british debut since Definitely Maybe.  a Masterpiece. Just a shame the 2nd and 3rd records were shockers. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25113
    I saw this thread yesterday and nothing obvious sprang to mind.  I can't think of anything I wilfully ignored for years but now love.

My musical taste starts, pretty much, with '70s rock and there are bands and artists I "quite like" but I've never heard all their albums - e.g. UFO, Thin Lizzy, Queen, Pink Floyd.  Generally though, if I like a band I will buy everything they've done.

Reading @Stuckfast's post I'm quite intrigued to go and listen to those Supertramp and Steeleye Span albums.
  • So many things - since learning to play the ukulele 5 years ago, and the guitar 2 years ago, I've listened to lots of albums. Many of them were released before I was born, but I never knew of them while I was growing up. I got into Pearl Jam, Metallica, GnR, Terrorvision, Nirvana and then Foo Fighters, when I was in my teens, but I then got into dance music.

One notable album I've discovered since picking up a guitar is Fire & Water by Free - I knew Alright Now, but there are some belters on there - Fire & Water and Mr Big are particular favourites.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74503
    proggy said:

For me it was The Pros And Cons Of Hitch Hiking by Roger Waters. I got around to buying it around the early 2000s, and it was released in 1984. What a great album it is too. Not as good as Radio K.A.O.S though.
    I’m a big Waters fan but I’ve never been able to really get into Radio K.A.O.S. I like Pros & Cons but it’s not remotely as good as Amused To Death or even Is This The Life.

Also… not exactly recent now, but I only listened to Wishbone Ash for the the first time about ten years ago, despite every second-hand record shop having a copy of Argus when I was a kid. I think it’s their best album now, and I have no idea why it didn’t interest me then - it’s a great cover too, it’s not that which put me off.

Also, everything by Steve Vai. I spent about thirty years secure in the knowledge that I didn’t like ‘that type of music’, without ever really listening to him - until I found The Infinite Steve Vai compilation in a charity shop and decided to have an open mind and give it a try. I liked about a third or more of it immediately, and most of the rest has grown on me - I now have most of his albums. But to be honest, I still don’t really like ‘that type of music’… it’s just that he’s far less typical of it than I thought.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein