Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Are amps dying out at small gigs?

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• chor808chor808 Frets: 73
    edited January 2022
    We've all gone direct into the PA now and done away with amps. A couple of monitors for five of us. Endless options which can be more trouble than it's worth but we've settled on a few presets (which probably sounds like our old amps). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3592
    Im wondering if those that live and gig in larger cities find it more practical, gig bag over the shoulder and a holdall with your complete rig means public transport works. For the rest of us a car/van full of toys makes it more enjoyable and practical plus you take and control your own pa.
    I get that digital can sound good in the mix etc. And solid state amplifiers are as good as valve (there are some crap valve amps and some cracking s.s. amps, time has weeded through them and left different impressions.
    Horses for courses, I've played theatre shows in the pit where space and volume are critical (nowadays) so a digital solution is required and your creative input is just to play the dots to accompany the artist. So horses for courses but I'm mainly valve, pedals multiple guitars and small clubs or pubs with volume issues. YMMV.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3982
    I’m playing with a covers band at the moment. I was using a HX Effects with an amp but sold the HX and got a Pod Go as I felt it would be good to also have the DI option, depending on venue.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 838
    edited January 2022
    I play in a 4 piece rock band. We’ve been playing for ever. Bass amp with 4x10 and 1x15 both or one only depending on size of venue (usually pub) vocals all to PA. Drums unmiked- sometimes bass drum if it’s a bigger venue. Guitar (me) valve amp and 4x12. Unmiked.
    set yer amp- same as last gig (give or take) sound check- if there’s a wooden hollow floor or stage turn the bass down a bit - off we go! Not a lot of messing about- drummer takes for ever to set up but he is the oldest bless him. I tried a kemper but could only get a warm sound that I liked through a valve power amp- it kind defeated the object. Did an out door gig with the kemper without the power amp just the kemper powered monitor- it sounded thin and weedy next to me but sounded great out in the crowd as it also went direct to the PA. Go figure! (Kemper has gone twice lol!)
    (we are a bunch of old dinosaurs though so what do we know lol!)