Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Justin Hawkins Rides Again [YouTube]

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3091
    Reverend said:
    RobDavies said:

mainstream shite.

I’m not sure that Chopped In Half by Obituary is mainstream, but each to their own. 
    They are no Sempiternal Deathreign or Darth Vader Chruch
    I was waiting for that….  =)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Vintage65Vintage65 Frets: 364
    edited November 2022
    He did one on Turnstile before they took off, and now they are the biggest band in the world. It's a good thing he never said they were crap, even though I thought they were crap when I first heard this song  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23763
    edited November 2022
    Vintage65 said:
    He did one on Turnstile before they took off, and now they are the biggest band in the world. It's a good thing he never said they were crap, even though I thought they were crap when I first heard that song  
    Is that true, or are you exaggerating for dramatic purposes?  (If it's the latter that's fine, I wholeheartedly approve of a bit of hyperbole.)  
    I don't even know who they are, although I've seen the name mentioned.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    edited November 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    Is that true, or are you exaggerating for dramatic purposes?  (If it's the latter that's fine, I wholeheartedly approve of a bit of hyperbole.)  
    I don't even know who they are, although I've seen the name mentioned.
    I really didn't like them and it's not my usual kind of thing. However, I stumbled upon this stripped down version of a song and that was my gateway. (The whole Tiny Desk concert is good).

• Madre mia! I'm getting old. Who are Turnstile? I have never heard of them until now.
    edited November 2022
    Madre mia! I'm getting old. Who are Turnstile? I have never heard of them until now.
    Currently the biggest rock band in the world 

Proof:

Quick Bio.

Basically a bunch of no-hopers who got very good at performing live after spending many years playing small gigs. They expanded their sound and released a breakthrough album that appeared in all the 2021 best of lists. Then they brought rock music back onto mainstream US TV with appearances on the Jimmy Kimmel, Seth Meyers & Jimmy Fallon late night shows, before hitting the summer festivals and attracting a diverse legion of new fans. Now they are doing sell-out shows wherever they go, and many people are saying it's the best live gig they have been to.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    I'm loving Justin's channel. Really good analysis of song writing, shows his clear talent and very funny.
  • That Gibson acoustic he plays the intro tune on sounds fantastic. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • @Vintage65 I will check them out. Way too much music out there these days to be able to keep up with...
    edited November 2022
    @Vintage65 I will check them out. Way too much music out there these days to be able to keep up with...
    Their music is interesting from a technical point of view, as they've got some kind of rollercoaster thing going on where the intensity continually rises and falls, which results in a steady stream of dopamine hits, so I can see why people enjoy their live shows so much.
  • Here's the latest one, Schism by Tool.

• jonevejoneve Frets: 1492
    Vintage65 said:
    Here's the latest one, Schism by Tool.

Watched this yesterday. Really good stuff. 
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 12538
    Ya know, I think these guys might be "the biggest band in the world" - they are universally, scarily popular...

OT - Justin Hawkins liked "Yellow" - he did a video on that.  Asking where it all went wrong for Coldplay though is like the old George Best joke...

You are the dreamer, and the dream...
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ya know, I think these guys might be "the biggest band in the world" - they are universally, scarily popular...

OT - Justin Hawkins liked "Yellow" - he did a video on that.  Asking where it all went wrong for Coldplay though is like the old George Best joke...
    The world needs rock music, but it doesn't necessarily need Coldplay  ;)
  • Genuinely don’t understand why he felt the need to have a YouTube channel. Found it quite embarrassing. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23763
    I can't stand the bits where he sings his little theme tune at the beginning and end of the videos.  I have to fast forward through them.
  • 88CuzJ88CuzJ Frets: 44
    The Ian Brown review he did was hilarious. 
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10916
    Genuinely don’t understand why he felt the need to have a YouTube channel. Found it quite embarrassing. 
    He has 300k subs and is making a shit load of money on patreon doing something he enjoys. Why would you not do this?

I stopped listening cos I find the harmonic analysis a bit basic but I do enjoy his perspective, and his insights into vocal delivery and the showbiz side of things
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom