Removing Cigarette Odor From A Guitar

What's Hot

Comments

• OffsetOffset Frets: 11684
    @chillidoggy may be able to offer some advice on how to mask the smell of fag smoke.  However, be careful what you wish for... sometimes the cure is worse than the ailment.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stonevibestonevibe Frets: 7143
    Rub cat piss on it  ;)

Win a Cort G250 SE Guitar in our Guitar Bomb Free UK Giveaway 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I have a 70s Fender Musicmaster that stank. T-cut and polish, as suggested above, worked for me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Before the T-cut I did put red cedar chips in the hard case, which seemed to slowly help, but I got impatient!
  • mark123mark123 Frets: 1325
    Revitalised this thread, picked up a vintage lemon drop locally but smells of cigarette smoke,not bad but you can smell it , do i use naptha/ lighter fluid to clean then t-cut then as much fresh air as possible ? Or the other way round ? t- cut then naptha ? I'm going with naptha first as that's the cleaner then t-cut second as that's the polish ?  
    Or in 2023 is there a new/ better method ?
  • theatreanchortheatreanchor Frets: 1436
    Use a British odour. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18754
    mark123 said:
    Revitalised this thread, picked up a vintage lemon drop locally but smells of cigarette smoke,not bad but you can smell it , do i use naptha/ lighter fluid to clean then t-cut then as much fresh air as possible ? Or the other way round ? t- cut then naptha ? I'm going with naptha first as that's the cleaner then t-cut second as that's the polish ?  
    Start with a solvent clean first. I reckon you should be able to use naptha, ethanol, white vinegar or almost any household solvent you like on the Lemon Drop as it is polyurethane or polyester, not a nitro finish.
    Plus, the beauty of the Vintage 'relicing' means that nothing could make them look much worse... they do sound bloody good though  ;)
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    At least if you had bought an old Jazz Archtop it would be more likely to smell of pipe-smoke , cardigan and mothballs
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Use a British odour. 
    i have no idea what you mean ,but would like a pint of whatever you are drinking.
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    mark123 said:
    Start with a solvent clean first. I reckon you should be able to use naptha, ethanol, white vinegar or almost any household solvent you like on the Lemon Drop as it is polyurethane or polyester, not a nitro finish.
    Plus, the beauty of the Vintage 'relicing' means that nothing could make them look much worse... they do sound bloody good though  ;)
    ha ! 100% agree ,i've had a few Lemon drops  and some are o.k ish but otherscare horrific  depends what year you buy.
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18754
    Do you know what weight yours is? They do tend to be like some 70's Gibson LP's in weighing as much as neutron stars.
    Do you know what weight yours is? They do tend to be like some 70's Gibson LP's in weighing as much as neutron stars.
    No it's one of the lightest i've owned and i've had 8 , i think it is a first year issue 2006 ,seems a better colour ,relic ,put together etc,
    mark123 said:
    Use a British odour. 
    i have no idea what you mean ,but would like a pint of whatever you are drinking.
    Northern Monk Eternal Juice. 
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7222
    mark123 said:
    Use a British odour. 
    He is referring to the AmericaniZed spelling of odour, i.e. odor, as it appears in the thread title because he is a member of the UK spelling police.
    1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    stonevibe said:
    Rub cat piss on it  ;)
    how do you get rid of cat piss smell?
    BillDL said:
    mark123 said:
    Use a British odour. 
    He is referring to the AmericaniZed spelling of odour, i.e. odor, as it appears in the thread title because he is a member of the UK spelling police.
    ahh right....but i didn't start the original thread.....
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7222
    He wasn't posting in direct response to you.  He obviously just happened upon the rejuvinated thread and thought he would post something entertaining or informative, but didn't.
    BillDL said:
    He wasn't posting in direct response to you.  He obviously just happened upon the rejuvinated thread and thought he would post something entertaining or informative, but didn't.
    Apologies to the humor police. 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11684
    mark123 said:
    stonevibe said:
    Rub cat piss on it  ;)
    how do you get rid of cat piss smell?
    Smear it with fox shit.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rhinofeetrhinofeet Frets: 102
    I had a stinking Peavey backstage and bombed it with all kinds of air fresheners and soap and baking soda etc. Didn't work. Eventually I covered it in hand sanitizer gel and left it in the sun, smell was gone in an hour. Not sure how this will affect you let guitars finish though