Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Rock gigging amp

What's Hot
OnparOnpar Frets: 416
After years of using a HRD with pedal board for a function band I have now changed direction and have joined a rock covers band. The HRD was perfect as pedal platform for multiple genres, and it always gave me enough volume and headroom if we were in a larger venue. But now I'm in a rock covers band I'd like to explore a simpler and rockier sound. We cover the likes of guns n roses, Queen, the cult, Free etc.

So what are the best options gigging amp options for this style of music?

I want to ensure it's loud enough for slightly larger venues un mic'd, and something that will get louder when I stomp on a boost pedal rather than just gainier/mushier. So I'm guessing 40 Watts is probably the sweet spot, same as the HRD. I was looking at the Marshall Studio series but at 20 Watts I just don't thinks it's going to be powerful enough and unfortunately the other decent Marshalls are 100watts, which will be too loud. So I guess the is Friedman, like the DS or SB50. But I'm yet to try any. I've always been a Fender amp style person but want something with a rockier tone and to use less pedals. I'd be really interested to know people's thoughts and recommendations for amps. I'd really want a head and cab for a change from combos. I play a Les Paul or Tele with Chopper T. 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If it weren't for your penultimate sentence, I'd say DSL40.  Really flexible, especially if you add the 6-way footswitch.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dariusdarius Frets: 632
    Loads of amps will meet your needs. Depends what your budget and needs are. Are you looking at a head/cab or combo? 
    You’ve mentioned Friedman so I’m guessing your budget is massive. 
    Marshall, EVH, Friedman, Diezel, Engl. Try them all.
    One thing, hitting a boost pedal into the front of a gain amp will always add more gain and not volume. A boost in the effects loop will add volume. So if you want a boost either you need an effects loop or a multichannel / multi volume knob amp. 

• OnparOnpar Frets: 416
    If it weren't for your penultimate sentence, I'd say DSL40.  Really flexible, especially if you add the 6-way footswitch.
    How do they sound? Are they cheap and fizzy compared to the UK made Marshall"s? 
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    tFB Trader
    Late 70s Marshall JMP 50watt head or early 70s Lead and Bass (20 watts). 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • noisepolluternoisepolluter Frets: 798
    edited November 2021
    I got a Marshall SC20H recently and love it. The head only weighs 20lbs and sounds great through a G12H Creamback in a closed back cab. I find it does great classic rock crunch sounds as well as higher gain 80s stuff.

No channel switching though, so you’d need to ride the guitar volume control for clean(er) sounds, and maybe run a boost in the fx loop for solos etc. 

It’s not what you’d call a very versatile amp, but what it does do, it does brilliantly.

Edit: just read the bit about wattage. I had the amp just below halfway on the master in 20W mode round my mate’s soundproof man cave, and that certainly seemed to be loud enough for a pub gig for instance, though I haven’t actually gigged it yet. 
    darius said:
    Loads of amps will meet your needs. Depends what your budget and needs are. Are you looking at a head/cab or combo? 
    You’ve mentioned Friedman so I’m guessing your budget is massive. 
    Marshall, EVH, Friedman, Diezel, Engl. Try them all.
    One thing, hitting a boost pedal into the front of a gain amp will always add more gain and not volume. A boost in the effects loop will add volume. So if you want a boost either you need an effects loop or a multichannel / multi volume knob amp. 

Thank you for making that clear about boosting an amp. I did wonder how this works. I guess the other option is to roll down on the guitar volume for rhythm and the roll it all the way up for lead, although again sometimes doesn't increase volume enough to cut through and just adds more gain rather than volume. 

My budget could stretch for the right amp. I agree with trying the amps before buying but it's difficult to find a shop that has them in stock. Most shops only stock one or two of these so it's tough to compare. 
    I got a Marshall SC20H recently and love it. The head only weighs 20lbs and sounds great through a G12H Creamback in a closed back cab. I find it does great classic rock crunch sounds as well as higher gain 80s stuff.

No channel switching though, so you’d need to ride the guitar volume control for clean(er) sounds, and maybe run a boost in the fx loop for solos etc. 

It’s not what you’d call a very versatile amp, but what it does do, it does brilliantly.
    Yes these look perfect but if only it was a bit more powerful. I've had experience of gigging 20 watt amps in the past and if you are in a larger hall, with lots of people and background noise then there is just not quite enough ooomph. Wish it was an SC30H. 

Have you gigged it yet? 
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Not very exotic but I've always got on best with solid functional amps -- so when I was in a classic rock covers band I loved using a Blackstar HT20 head and a 2x12.
    Does British and American flavours of tone; allowed me to play with pedals nicely; and for "classic rock covers" I couldn't fault it plus I felt it had more utility than many other amps because it sat perfectly in the sweet spot for average-sized pub gigs.

• photekphotek Frets: 1463
    Consider the Jubilee Mini head chap. It’s quite versatile and has the footswitchable lead channel with its own volume control, plenty loud enough with a 2x12 cab particularly an upright one.

SC is great but once it’s up at volume there isn’t really anywhere to go for a lead boost.
  • If you don't mind your "head" sitting on the floor and only weighing 2lbs, a BluGuitar AMP1 will do exactly what you want. Truly. It's what it was made for. Ask Ulli Jon Roth or Jennifer Batten. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10420
    I generally use Marshall for rock covers but in the last few years I've done loads of rock gigs with an HRD and a Soul food pedal. Then a clean boost for solo's. If you leave the Soul food on and just work the gain to suit the song it does a great job. 
    The unpopular big Blackstar pedals like the HT Dual or HT Overdrive  can turn an HRD into a Marshall reasonably convincingly ... although they cost hundreds new you can pick them up for £50 ish

www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Anything vaguely Marshall 18watt-esque. Orange Rocker (I'm selling a 15 head). Maybe a Laney?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    The 20w Marshalls are more than loud enough. I sometimes gig with my Jubilee combo in pubs etc and the master rarely gets above 6. This leaves enough headroom for leads. Through a 2x12 you'll have plenty left. If you still want more wattage I'd get DSL40CR.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    Onpar said:

Yes these look perfect but if only it was a bit more powerful. I've had experience of gigging 20 watt amps in the past and if you are in a larger hall, with lots of people and background noise then there is just not quite enough ooomph. Wish it was an SC30H. 

Have you gigged it yet? 

Grunfeld said:
    Not very exotic but I've always got on best with solid functional amps -- so when I was in a classic rock covers band I loved using a Blackstar HT20 head and a 2x12.
    Does British and American flavours of tone; allowed me to play with pedals nicely; and for "classic rock covers" I couldn't fault it plus I felt it had more utility than many other amps because it sat perfectly in the sweet spot for average-sized pub gigs.

Good suggestion but maybe not loud enough for op's "larger venues? Staying with Blackstar the Stage 60 would do anywhere except perhaps Wembley? Has both FX loop and a DI out to feed a PA if required.

As well as a versatile sound and plenty of it you also need reliability. The most amazing sounding booteek amp is no use if it don't fekkin' work!
    Or, if you are not averse to solid state, one of their ID rockers?

Dave.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17638
    tFB Trader
    The current generation DSL is brilliant and perfect for your needs.

Decent cleans and various flavours of jcm 800ish gain.

Remember the circuit determines how something sounds not the country it's built in.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 943
    I used to use a Marshall JVM 205C ,perfect for what you need,2 master volumes, a great clean channel and a great footswitch that you could set up to give a boost for solos. Still regret letting it go but a bit to much for home use..it’s plenty loud enough.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    The current generation DSL is brilliant and perfect for your needs.

Decent cleans and various flavours of jcm 800ish gain.

Remember the circuit determines how something sounds not the country it's built in.

Oh! So why do peeps bang on about an "imerican" or "British" rock tone? (heh!)

Dave.
  • I've just done the same, used a HRD all the time but needed amp od rather than relying on pedals so bought a new DSL40CR that is ideal
    I've just done the same, used a HRD all the time but needed amp od rather than relying on pedals so bought a new DSL40CR that is ideal
    Thanks. Does it give a good rock tone that cuts through okay? 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    This is the thing I'm confused about. If someone had a marshall style amp with no effects loop, how would they increase volume for a solo boost and cut through?