Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Rock gigging amp

What's Hot

Comments

• I've used my trusty 80's JCM 800 for years now and cannot fault it. I fully understand why they're seen as the GOAT to many.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 863
    I'm with @Danny1969 ; - what you currently have is a great solution.

I've always played rock, currently have a selection of heads and cabs, but still choose pedals into a fender. Pedals these days are great, and personally I find a clean boost after drive for solos much more predictable than a boost in the fx loop. Playing into a clean amp also avoids the 'sweet spot' frustration. You simply make it louder or quieter as required with virtually the same sound.

If you want a new amp I'd seriously consider another HRD and a micropitch between them for the full VH spread. That will get your rock on!
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1816
    EVH 5150 - hands down the best rock tone I’ve had for years and that includes a Mesa MKV, Friedman and Bogners.

The 50w is plenty loud enough, channel 3 has a comical amount of gain but it can be turned down as well.

If you can get the MK2 version you get a better volume balance across the 3 channels.
  • AC30 and a proco rat
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyo said:
    EVH 5150 - hands down the best rock tone I’ve had for years and that includes a Mesa MKV, Friedman and Bogners.

The 50w is plenty loud enough, channel 3 has a comical amount of gain but it can be turned down as well.

If you can get the MK2 version you get a better volume balance across the 3 channels.
    A rare beast indeed. Wish I'd snapped up a few back in the day!
  • OnparOnpar Frets: 416
    Thanks for all the responses. 

Interesting to hear some folk believe my HRD is actually the best solution. It could well be but I really want a head and cab, I've never had one. 

I'm now in a position to mic an amp for live gigs so I would just need the stage volume and for rehearsals. This has meant I could get a smaller amp and have reduced the choice down to two heads... 

PRS MT15
    Or
    Friedman PT20

It would be good to hear from any current or previous users to get your opinions. 

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4725
    Onpar said:
    This is the thing I'm confused about. If someone had a marshall style amp with no effects loop, how would they increase volume for a solo boost and cut through? 
    An EQ pedal or a boost pedal like a BBE Boosta Grand.
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Onpar said:

It would be good to hear from any current or previous users to get your opinions. 
    As you know i have the MT15. Its technically rated at 15 watts but it is far louder than that suggests. The 6L6 tubes kick out massive volume, easily enough to gig with even un-mic'ed i would say. the output tubes also make it sound massive through a 1x12 cab and there is an outrageous amount of bass on tap if you need it.

Its heavy for a lunchbox amp due to the amount of components stuffed into it but it is still much lighter than a proper head. It is also slightly larger than a standard lunchbox, it is the same depth as a full head but obviously shorter and not as wide.

The clean channel is ultra clean at least with the guitars i use. there is not much in the way of edge-of-breakup in that channel, you might find different if you use high output humbuckers or something though.

The gain channel is very saturated. You can get some crunch up to about 9 o clock on the dial but anything after that is just different flavours of high gain, i messed around with replacing the preamp tubes to give me more sweep on the gain knob which worked but resulted in a slightly softer sound than the ax7's. 

The front end is silent but if you want to use the effects loop it is noisy from the factory so i recommend replacing the stock ax7 with an at7 in the loop recovery socket, so factor that into your budget if you want to use it.

It is definitely very useful to have independent 3 band EQ for each channel, i can't think of another lunchbox head that has that off the top of my head.

And finally, the blue and red LED's look cool as hell on a dark stage, and that's the main thing of course. 
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited December 2021
    Out of the 2 amps you mentioned, for the versatility I would go with the PT20.

I haven't owned an MT15 but from what I hear it has the type of gain channel that isn't that responsive to the guitar, in that it won't clean up as well. Also the clean channel sounds too clean to me.

The PT20 can go from cleanish (plenty clean for me) to full on heavy crunch just from varying the guitar volume. It's very responsive to the guitar. Hit it with a Tube screamer to take it over the top. For me it also sounds best with a greenback style speaker.

• Has anyone pointed out the obvious with a VH4 yet? 
    ဈǝᴉʇsɐoʇǝsǝǝɥɔဪቌ
  • Recently I found th e Mesa Mk5:25 is perfect for clean to dirty sounds. Great fx loop and direct out with speaker sim...
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    Danny1969 said:
    JMP220478 said:
    Remember to factor in guitar speaker preference and associated sensitivity as it has its part in the actual volume experience .

Ie EVH Greenback 96 db vs V30 100db -  same amp into both speakers will result in a markedly louder experience with the V30 ( I hesitate to say twice as loud but look up a 3db change in audio terms ) 

Im using a boogie 25W head and through a V30 1x12 rectifier cab and have gigged it unmic’d in average bars n pubs n never any complaints about not being heard :-) 

Might have had a few about what they’ve heard  

Yep, I gig'ed a Blackstar HT5 for about 5 years in a Thin Lizzy tribute and a generic classic rock covers band. I had it going into a 1 x 12 cab fitted with a Celestion Lead 75 speaker which was so sensitive the amp was plenty loud enough. I though years of driving it hard would result in failure and started carrying a spare but never needed it 

If you want a head/cab setup look for a second hand A100. Kill anywhere and virtually bombproof. No FX loop but you can kludge pedals using the 4 inputs.  The Series One 200  is even more ourageous but you will not want to carry it far! Can be used as bass amp in extremis.

• StevepageStevepage Frets: 3053
    AC30 and some pedals? Maybe even a closed back 2x12 for a bigger/in your face tone to go with it?
    I have a cab on order now so it's just a case of making a final decision on on a head. Its likely to be a Silver Jubilee mini, sc20, Prs MT15, or a Friedman. Really want something I can clean up using the guitar volume control so think the Silver Jubilee might be the best option. 
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2901
    The Jubilee cleans up pretty nicely. I use mine as a single channel amp on the lead channel, set it to the highest gain level I want and adjust from there. Boost it with an SD1 for metal. The SC20H is great too and probably cleans up better but I don't find it as versatile due to the EQ, and it feels more like a small amp to me as you can't quite dial in the same amount of low end and weight.

I haven't compared the other 2 on your list to compare but th MT15 is really high gain so I'd be surprised if it cleans up as well. And it has a clean channel for a reason.
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1636
    IIRC the OP was after an amp for "covers"? If so I would think an AC30 is ALWAYS going to sound like and AC30?
    OK for Brian May and early Beatles. Not a lot else?

But then, the punters will probably never guess!

Dave.
  • Recently I found th e Mesa Mk5:25 is perfect for clean to dirty sounds. Great fx loop and direct out with speaker sim...
    This.
    incredibly portable, punchy and loud. Cab Clone simulator for direct out to desk if needed, footswitchable EQ boost.

https://youtu.be/i0p-ks5xlnY
    Recently I found th e Mesa Mk5:25 is perfect for clean to dirty sounds. Great fx loop and direct out with speaker sim...
    This.
    incredibly portable, punchy and loud. Cab Clone simulator for direct out to desk if needed, footswitchable EQ boost.

I have very little knowledge on the mesa product range. But it does sound pretty good!!

Is this different the Express 5:25?

Does the cab cline mean I can plug directly into a PA via xlr and leave the cab at home for some gigs? 
  • Onpar said:
    Recently I found th e Mesa Mk5:25 is perfect for clean to dirty sounds. Great fx loop and direct out with speaker sim...
    This.

I have very little knowledge on the mesa product range. But it does sound pretty good!!

Is this different the Express 5:25?

Does the cab cline mean I can plug directly into a PA via xlr and leave the cab at home for some gigs? 
    Yes to both.

Difference with the Express: the express has 2 modes per channel, the Mark V has 3 modes per channel, therefore greater versatility and more varieties of gain on tap on the overdrive channel. Also not sure if the express lets you run the channels independently on different wattages, the Mark V let’s you do that so useful for retaining clean headroom on that channel but getting earlier compression on the overdrive channel.

The cab clone has a speaker off switch to enable you to run direct into a desk or recording device without needing a cab. That means you can also EQ it from your desk as well if required.

If you’re anywhere near Gloucestershire you’re welcome to try mine.
  • I've had a lot of great amps. The one constant has been an early Fender 5153 with bias mod. Just a bit cleaner and less fuzzy. Cuts just right and always sounds very full. I have a nice YJM that is fantastic. Nails all the classic rock sounds.

Couple of Friedman's - Dirty Shirley was nice but not that great in the mix. That's long gone  Currently a BE50 Deluxe that I haven't had a chance to take out, but sounds very promising.

My recent club sort of rig has been a pair of Cornford Roadhouse 30 combos that I run either in stereo or W/D. They're oversized and sound nearer to a 2x12 apiece, portable, good loops and sound great.  They only cost me £400 each. Having 2 also gives you a backup option. I prefer them to the old Hellcat I had years ago.

Like you, I prefer a loop for modulation and volume boost purposes. My old 2204... Wish I'd sent it to Dan Gower for a loop before selling it.
    Boogie Stiletto is nice live.
    Also have a Fryette Power Station... A simple, classic Marshall circuit with that will be amazing and gives you a clean, post loop. 

I've had a lot more, but these were probably my favourites