Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Rock gigging amp

What's Hot
1235»

Comments

• OnparOnpar Frets: 416
    An EVH 100 6l6 or a 2203 are the two amps I keep coming back to. I prefer them to their 50 watt counterparts and they don't have to be crazy loud. They both have decent master volumes.
    How are the EVH 5150iii's in the band mix? I read that they can get lost. I play in a band with 2 guitarists so want to ensure I can be heard in the mix. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    welshboyo said:
    Agree with @rockmonster here - I have the 50 watter MKII and have given it as a suggestion - the 100 is a step up again but is overkill IMO for pub/club gigs - the 50 is too loud with eye watering headroom if you need it..

It’s the 1st time I’ve been completely satisfied with an amp - it’s come after countless Mesa MK’s (II through the “flagship” V), Bogner Shiva, Atma, Duende, Friedman PT and Runt, Rivera’s etc etc

It just works, sounds great, easy to control…

Ed got it right!!!
    I'm looking at the 5150iii 6L6.

Can you get more of a classic rock tone out of it? All the demos seem to be seriously high gain chugging.

Does it cut through live okay? 
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    edited January 2022
    I play in a classic rock band and use a 5153 100. 6L6 It’s the one I come back to all the time. There’s only the one guitar and bass in my band and it does a great job. Mids are your friend in a mix - what sounds good at home doesn’t work live. You’ll never have a problem being heard if you set it right. Very versatile amp. The matching 4x12 is killer! I found the 100 to be (more classic rock) than the 50 it’s kinda warmer. It really likes creambacks and greenbacks too!
    Ive been using the new DSL100HR head with a 1960A cab for gigs lately- really enjoying using it- plenty of versatility if you want the Marshall tones. It even had a 50watt setting, can’t go wrong with that-cheap as chips too! (Best with the 6 way foot switch though)
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    Curve ball - Suhr Hombre
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2897
    I play in a classic rock band and use a 5153 100. 6L6 It’s the one I come back to all the time. There’s only the one guitar and bass in my band and it does a great job. Mids are your friend in a mix - what sounds good at home doesn’t work live. You’ll never have a problem being heard if you set it right. Very versatile amp. The matching 4x12 is killer! I found the 100 to be (more classic rock) than the 50 it’s kinda warmer. It really likes creambacks and greenbacks too!
    Ive been using the new DSL100HR head with a 1960A cab for gigs lately- really enjoying using it- plenty of versatility if you want the Marshall tones. It even had a 50watt setting, can’t go wrong with that-cheap as chips too! (Best with the 6 way foot switch though)
    Out of interest how do you feel the DSL100HR high gain compares to the 5153? I've really been GASing for a 5153 since trying the Neural Gojira plugin which I believe is based on one, but the DSL is a lot more affordable!
  • 5153 has a shit-ton more gain but you can boost the DSL to get closer. DSL is great value for money though.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    edited January 2022
    Onpar said:
    welshboyo said:
    Agree with @rockmonster here - I have the 50 watter MKII and have given it as a suggestion - the 100 is a step up again but is overkill IMO for pub/club gigs - the 50 is too loud with eye watering headroom if you need it..

It’s the 1st time I’ve been completely satisfied with an amp - it’s come after countless Mesa MK’s (II through the “flagship” V), Bogner Shiva, Atma, Duende, Friedman PT and Runt, Rivera’s etc etc

It just works, sounds great, easy to control…

Ed got it right!!!
    I'm looking at the 5150iii 6L6.

Can you get more of a classic rock tone out of it? All the demos seem to be seriously high gain chugging.

Does it cut through live okay? 
    It does a lot more than just chug - I play in a primarily Classic Rock covers band and its just fine - I never think there's too much gain going on (I run the gains at anywhere up to 12 o clock and there is plenty) - I spend most of my time on channel 2 and boost (if ever needed) using an 808 or just by using guitar volume.

All of the demos seem to be based towards high-gain chug which is under-selling the amp IMO.

I need to try a 100 if Rockmonster's comments above are anything to go by too..

Seriously impressed with the EVH - it was a bit of gamble buying one without really hearing one in the flesh but its a gamble that's certainly paid off.

Live - if you can't cut through enough with what's on tap from both a volume and EQ perspective then you either need to sack the rest of the band for being too loud or there is something really wrong with the amp!! - I can easily drown out the rest of my 5 piece if I wanted to - actually, last gig before xmas there was an issue with my channel through the PA - we had to end up with me just running backline whilst the rest were through the PA - not an issue at all - had volume to spare.
  • No budget? Get a Mesa Mark V, it can do anything and sounds amazing.
  • rockmonsterrockmonster Frets: 833
    edited January 2022
    No budget? Get a Mesa Mark V, it can do anything and sounds amazing.
    I’ve not had a mark V but my experiences with the mkIV has put me off Boogies- too much twiddling lol!
  • russpmrusspm Frets: 443
    No budget? Get a Mesa Mark V, it can do anything and sounds amazing.
    I’ve not had a mark V but my experiences with the mkIV has put me off Boogies
    Tell us more?
  • No budget? Get a Mesa Mark V, it can do anything and sounds amazing.
    I’ve not had a mark V but my experiences with the mkIV has put me off Boogies- too much twiddling lol!
    Fair play, I get that. My Mark IV was amazing, I loved all the twiddling. I used to run it in Simul-class with 2 EL34s and 2 6L6s. Lovely.
  • Save a fortune and buy an XTS Atomic pedal. Keep your old amp.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
    Save a fortune and buy an XTS Atomic pedal. Keep your old amp.
    Thanks!!

In actual fact I just purchased a Friedman BE OD Deluxe pedal to use with my HRD. Wow!!! This thing is insane!!! Need to test at volume with the band to really see how good it is but so far so good. 
  • spirit7spirit7 Frets: 338
    I have a Mark IV head (got it for £680 - lol) and it sounds immense.  It’s fiddly to set up at first but after 30 mins of tweaking you get the tone you want and set and forget.  Absolutely glorious for metal and classic rock, with lovely cleans - and the R2 channel is criminally underrated with a boost.  
  • Onpar said:
    An EVH 100 6l6 or a 2203 are the two amps I keep coming back to. I prefer them to their 50 watt counterparts and they don't have to be crazy loud. They both have decent master volumes.
    How are the EVH 5150iii's in the band mix? I read that they can get lost. I play in a band with 2 guitarists so want to ensure I can be heard in the mix. 
    They cut perfectly in the mix. All amps can get lost if dialled in with mids low. Push those mids and lower the bass a touch and it’s great. I play in a band with keys, bass and drums. No issues.
  • Onpar said:
    This is the thing I'm confused about. If someone had a marshall style amp with no effects loop, how would they increase volume for a solo boost and cut through? 

Some have 2 master volumes.

Also mid focussed overdrive provided you don't use too much gain.
    Or, as I did with a vintage single channel jcm800, use an under drive. 

Use a gain pedal with a reasonably high amount of gain on the pedal but with the volume dialed way back. 
    Then when you switch it off, you get the full unadulterated volume of the amp, plus whatever pedals you have in front. 

" Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.