Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Head or combo?

What's Hot

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72515
    Combos. I prefer the sound of an open-back cab, and to me they're just cooler because they look less 'rock'. I do genuinely find them more portable too - I prefer to carry one thing, no matter how heavy, to two. Wheels and good handles make far more difference than weight, to me.

I don't find the choice of cabs with a head very useful because to me, most amps sound better with only one specific speaker or combination of speakers than with any other, so once you find it there's no point having the option of different ones.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10710
    Head, 2x12 and two 4x12s. And possibly another head.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1262
    Awkward bugger here....

Combo *and* cab :-)

The combo is a Mesa Express 5:25 1x10 which is actually a good deal more one-handed-carry friendly than many heads, the cab is a Marshall 1936 closed back 2x12. 

Whether I take just the combo or the combo and cab, whether I run both the cab and the combo speakers, just the cab, or even occasionally just use the cab as a stand depends on the venue and the gig.

Getting back to the original question I'll take a well designed compact combo (like my Mesa) over a head every time (but keep the closed back 2x12 cab handy as an alternative), a big "wide body" or 2x12 combo is a different matter and the head and cab option starts to look rather more attractive in that case...
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7962
    edited September 2013
    ICBM said:

I don't find the choice of cabs with a head very useful because to me, most amps sound better with only one specific speaker or combination of speakers than with any other, so once you find it there's no point having the option of different ones.

It massively depends on the amp.  I've gone through several heads and a lot of cabs over the past few years.  There are some amps that are mega picky and some that aren't.

My Mesa Roadster head is probably the best sounding and most versatile head I've ever tried.  But it only sounds amazing through Mesa cabs.  Through my other cabs, EVH, Blackstar, Marshall - I don't like it half as much.

I thought my previous S1 104 EL34 Blackstar sounded great through Mesa, Marshall, EVH, Orange and even a Laney cab, but ironically it always annoyed me through its matching cab.  It accentuated its compressed voicing and made it sound boxy for high gain.  I loved what I could get from the first two channels through the matching cab but was never quite there with OD1/OD2 until I started trying other cabs.

I've still got a Laney Ironheart, which I'd say is a solid sounding amp but not in the same league as more expensive high gain heads like the Mesa Recto or a 5150 iii.  However it seems to work well with every decent cab I've tried it with after a bit of tone stack tweaking.

FWIW I'm talking entirely about 4x12 cabs here, with V30s, Greenbacks or T75s.

I prefer a head and 4x12 cab for anything high gain.  Plus, anything smaller doesn't look right on stage with some bands, I'm with @IanSavage on that one.  Also, a combo is just a pain for re-amping or even tracking rock/metal guitars at high volume assuming you're using the inbuilt speakers and not an extension cab.  With a head you can have it in your control room and run a speaker cable to another room where you've got your amp up loud, so you can easily adjust the tone stack and also be able to hear what is coming from the monitor speakers.

I'll take a combo for clean or mid gain though - I feel like the combo enclosure is part of the tone of many of the classics eg AC30 or Twin.
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17652
    tFB Trader
    JayGee said:
    Awkward bugger here....

Combo *and* cab :-)

The combo is a Mesa Express 5:25 1x10 which is actually a good deal more one-handed-carry friendly than many heads, the cab is a Marshall 1936 closed back 2x12. 
    I agree with this. I quite like the idea of a small, but powerful combo (Mesa Mark for example) which can then be stuck on top of a cab for big gigs. Best of both worlds IMO.
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6394
    Combo with options is good. I used to have a 2x12 "stack" with my Mesa Combo & 1x12.  But the combo was stupidly heavy.

So like the Mesa combos - different speaker loads for parallel / series speaker combinations. And an attenuator as standard.

Matamp's earlier combos like their First Lady were a ridiculous size - based on the monster 1x12 cab I think.

Dr Z do a nifty little 2x10 that is awesome, and probably smaller & lighter than the 1x12.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • Once upon a time I'd have said head&cab, but that was because the amplifiers I wanted to gig with were heads. These days the amplifiers I want to gig with are combos. Were I to invest in different gear I think I'd be after a head and a 2x12.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    I don't really have a preference as long as it sounds good. Combos have a certain neat aesthetic that I like. Heavier ones can be a struggle to get up and down flights of stairs, especially flightcased.

Heads and cabs make loading in and out of cars, stairs etc a breeze which is quite refreshing at 2am.

Having gigged with an AC30 combo for a few years I ended up with an AC30 head and matching cab. The (open backed) cab sounds a little bigger than the combo version despite having the same dimensions probably because there's more open space inside and there's less mass dampening the top part of the cab, so it's a bit more resonant. Microphonic preamp tubes have pretty much stopped being an issue too which is nice. The main downside is that I always prefer to use my own speakers for reasons of familiarity, reliably recreating my sounds etc. When I had a combo it was a self contained setup so I didn't have to explain to other bands, soundmen etc that I didn't want to use their backline gear. Now there's a bit more politics involved in getting my own cab up there without annoying people at my gear OCD.
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    Jalapeno said:

Dr Z do a nifty little 2x10 that is awesome, and probably smaller & lighter than the 1x12.
    But......
    Once you've heard the 4x10 you'll not want to go back. OR the Z-Best 2x12.
  • I prefer amp heads, though it's a completely aesthetic choice on my part.

Wish I'd bought the head version of my Laney Cub 12, I'd probably use it much more.

• bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 391
    edited September 2013

I agree with guitarfishbay on this. I have found my bandmasters very usable through different cabs. At rehearsal I usually put it through a greenback loaded Marshall cab which sounds very different to my open back 4x10 Alnico Jensen cab. But both sound good to my ear holes, different but good.
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • +1 for combos. :)
  • jaygtrjaygtr Frets: 218
    Combo, but not fussed overly either way
  • Interesting - I thought there might be more hard line combo owners. Most people seem to think head and cab are the way to go. Which I do personally...
  • ROOGROOG Frets: 557

I bought a combo last time on grounds of cost, and also because they don't make it as a head, but then I don't need a big amp.

The amps on my fantasy, (never likely to happen) wish list are:

A Blues Deluxe,  - combo only,

A Princeton reissue  - again combo only, and

A Mesa MkV, which I could get as a head but it looks so neat as a combo, 

so I guess by default I have to vote Combo.  

• FezFez Frets: 529
    I have been a combo boy for years and years but earlier this year I bought a Blackstar HT20 head and it has proved very useful.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31640
    I'm a bit weird, I use 4x12s, but they have to be open backed. It's the sound I like and I see no point in compromising it for portability just so I can be set up 20 minutes earlier than the drummer, rather than 18.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72515
    p90fool said:
    I'm a bit weird, I use 4x12s, but they have to be open backed. It's the sound I like
    You are Ritchie Blackmore and I claim my £5!

:)

You can see his open-backed 4x12" clearly in the California Jam footage where he goes mental and throws the cab off the stage.

If I remember rightly he took the backs off the top cabs and left them on the bottom ones, but I could be wrong.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• p90foolp90fool Frets: 31640
    Rumbled! ;)
  • Combos for me. I've had head+cab once and it was annoying having an extra thing to carry into gigs.

I can see the appeal of heads if you have several heads and only one or two cabs, but for me I love a nice combo.

All the best amps are combos anyway- AC30, Deluxe Reverb, Princeton, Bassman, Bluesbreaker, Champ, etc
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom