Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Head or combo?

What's Hot
124»

Comments

• close2uclose2u Frets: 997
    edited September 2013
    p90fool said:
    close2u said:

If you want to travel light ... you could do Zoom G3X direct in to pa using XLR.

No amp involved at all.

That is an option I am hoping to explore pretty soon.

:)

That's what I've been doing for a year or so with great success, give me a shout if you want any tips etc.

Yes - that's definitely a conversation worth having.

I've just ordered myself an XLR cable and plan to practice through a pa v soon.

Cover songs ... so lloking for / needing a range of tones ... maybe built around one 'core / default / go to' setting

can we continue in the Zoom G3 thread?

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/1350/zoom-g3/p1

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Im looking for a combo as I want a pick up and go solution - ie amp in one hand and guitar in the other.

Heads can be mixed with different cabs/speakers more easily so are more versatile - and of course are a smaller and lighter box to carry (though you need two box's of course).

Both have merit and Ive always preferred heads - BUT as time moves on a combo is just more practical.

• 2x12 combos are usually very heavy, where as a cab a separate head are not as back breaking. Yes it requires two trips to the car but less chance of doing yourself some damage
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72514
    2x12 combos are usually very heavy, where as a cab a separate head are not as back breaking. Yes it requires two trips to the car but less chance of doing yourself some damage
    I would actually say from my own experience, that if the amp is heavy *enough*, it reduces the risk - because you're not tempted to try to lift it with one hand by leaning away from it, which is the best way to hurt yourself. A Fender Twin is bad for this because it's just light enough to lift and only has a top handle, so unless you pick it up bodily you'll always be doing that. I would never try to carry my Trem-o-verb like that - it's always a proper two-handed lift using the end handles, or it stays on its wheels, or you get someone else to help! The top handles on them are to steer with, not to lift :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader

There are plenty of combos that are more than heavy enough to hurt you, but only have a top handle....crazy. Mind you some heads are also too heavy for a safe one handed lift.

Even having side handles doesn't alleviate the risk of an injury if something is heavy.

Warming up for 10 minutes or so will minimise the risk of an injury, but who's got time for that? Even a fit person, using correct lifting techniques can get a back injury quite easily...the human back isn't designed for it! Add a bit of machismo into the equation and well....:)

edited September 2013
    martinw said:

There are plenty of combos that are more than heavy enough to hurt you, but only have a top handle....crazy. Mind you some heads are also too heavy for a safe one handed lift.

Even having side handles doesn't alleviate the risk of an injury if something is heavy.

Warming up for 10 minutes or so will minimise the risk of an injury, but who's got time for that? Even a fit person, using correct lifting techniques can get a back injury quite easily...the human back isn't designed for it! Add a bit of machismo into the equation and well....:)

Yes, you do have to be careful. "Lift with the legs, not the back!" I do have a slightly bad back - which makes me stop and think about it every time I lift something heavy. I still prefer moving my Trem-o-verbs to many much lighter amps.

The worst offenders by far are the ones which are heavy and tall, but only have a top handle - I can't think of anything which beats a Peavey Combo 300 bass amp for the 'most likely to injure' prize.

Even an AC30 isn't great... the end handles are in the wrong place - on top - which makes you lift your arms up too far.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• Handsome_ChrisHandsome_Chris Frets: 4779
    edited September 2013

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8495
    The trick with carrying open back ac30 style 2x12 combos is to hug it with the front pressed against your chest, and your hands gripping the side panels so your fingers are pointing into the open back/speaker compartment. If that makes sense...
  • martinwmartinw Frets: 2149
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    The worst offenders by far are the ones which are heavy and tall, but only have a top handle - I can't think of anything which beats a Peavey Combo 300 bass amp for the 'most likely to injure' prize.

The Bluesbreaker is like that....not mega heavy, but tall and awkward to lift into a car.

The one I get most problems with is the Ampeg SVT head...probably because I get a lot of them in! It's just so heavy, that no matter how well prepared you are, it's a massive strain on your frame and things pop! Clearly a 2 man lift, but working on my own, it's awkward.

edited September 2013
    Cirrus said:
    The trick with carrying open back ac30 style 2x12 combos is to hug it with the front pressed against your chest, and your hands gripping the side panels so your fingers are pointing into the open back/speaker compartment. If that makes sense...
    Until you fall downstairs with one like that because you can't see where you're going and miss a step...

I did. I smashed the knuckles of my left hand against a wall at the bottom in the attempt not to drop the amp, too. Luckily I was not on the way to my own gig with it, it was someone else's amp which I was carrying. I've never owned an AC30 and I think this may be part of the reason!

martinw said:

The one I get most problems with is the Ampeg SVT head...probably because I get a lot of them in! It's just so heavy, that no matter how well prepared you are, it's a massive strain on your frame and things pop! Clearly a 2 man lift, but working on my own, it's awkward.

It's funny how the pattern of work is so "individual"! I rarely see SVTs. Maybe Scottish bassists just don't like them?

When I do get one and have to get it onto the bench I squat down with my knees either side, hands under the bottom near the back corners and stand up - it's really the only way I can find that doesn't feel like it's going to hurt. They weigh as much as an entire Fender Twin...

• Axe_meister said:   ...Yes it requires two trips to the car but less chance of doing yourself some damage
    ICBM said:   I would actually say from my own experience, that if the amp is heavy *enough*, it reduces the risk - because you're not tempted to try to lift it with one hand by leaning away from it, which is the best way to hurt yourself.   ...it's always a proper two-handed lift using the end handles, or it stays on its wheels, or you get someone else to help! The top handles on them are to steer with, not to lift :).
    martinw said:    There are plenty of combos that are more than heavy enough to hurt you, but only have a top handle....crazy. Mind you some heads are also too heavy for a safe one handed lift.  Even having side handles doesn't alleviate the risk of an injury if something is heavy.

ICBM said: Yes, you do have to be careful. "Lift with the legs, not the back!" I do have a slightly bad back - which makes me stop and think about it every time I lift something heavy. I still prefer moving my Trem-o-verbs to many much lighter amps.
    +1 +1 +1  -  I cannot overstate how much I agree with the above.
    BIG wisdoms to @ICBM, @martinw, @Axe_meister, @Cirrus and all.

READ them, and then read them again, then again.  You never know what injury is like until you do it.  If you do it badly then you have to live with it.  I had never thought that much about this stuff, just lift, move, hurry, and get on with it ... until.

Just like I was never going to be 40, injury just wasn't going to happen.

I've wrecked my back, severely dislocated my right shoulder - breaking the bone in the joint too, and ripped the tendons in both fore arms doing (big) PA work.  Mostly healed now, and 40 is also a distant memory.  But if I had only listened, and taken a little more time over things.  That's a lot of pain and a lot of years recovering avoided - and so simpley too.  Ahh, the benefits of hindsight.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I genuinely think anyone who moves a lot of gear fairly regularly owes ito themselves to be keeping fit, or at least strong, by doing weightlifting.  Compound lifts, especially deadlifts and squats.

Most manual labourers I know also do powerlifting to keep themselves in shape for their day job.  It doesn't matter if you're moving 50kgs of building supplies or 50kgs of musical gear, a heavy weight is a heavy weight and you should respect it and take it seriously.  Technique and strength help a lot towards injury prevention.
  • Lexie1Lexie1 Frets: 135
    Hayden, did the 50 watt combo ever really see the light of day? I think Simon was having one,or was that something he ordered as a specific one off?

Cheers
    Rob
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2360
    ICBM said:
    I would actually say from my own experience, that if the amp is heavy *enough*, it reduces the risk
    That's true. I'm such a wuss I just can't lift it at all in that case. :))

martinw said:

There are plenty of combos that are more than heavy enough to hurt you, but only have a top handle....crazy.

Yeah my Genz Benz Black Pearl (2x12) only has the one handle. I think it's 32kg or something crazy like that. I could barely get the thing in and out of the box and into my guitar room, let alone think about carrying it anywhere :))