Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Punters knocking PA speakers over

What's Hot
FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
We had this happen on Friday AND Saturday night at different gigs - and I've also had it happen to me at various other gigs. One speaker dented one of the drummer's toms, and the next night, I managed to catch the speaker on my leg while doing a solo (which was quite impressive, I admit).

Has anyone else encountered this? How can you stop it happening?

We tend to play small-ish venues where space is at a premium; we have the speakers in front of myself and the bassist (so no mic feedback), and the legs spread as wide as possible, but we still get idiots knocking them over.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• You have to do what you can with positioning the legs to keep them from being a trip hazard.  Maybe also some ratchet straps to tie the top of the tripods to something solid nearby if you can. 
  • Get some public liability insurance? 

I remember someone very drunk crashing into one of ours and a burly chap in the audience catching it. But generally just trying to put them out the way and using wedge monitors as a barrier ( unplugged or just empty boxes if you don’t use them as monitors). 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2400
    Cheers - I've got PLI, not sure about the rest of the band though. Will raise it with them.
  • Get some hazard tape on the floor?  Put floor lights in front of it? Anything to act as a physical blockage.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Get some hazard tape on the floor?  Put floor lights in front of it? Anything to act as a physical blockage.
    Yep, tried all that! Works most of the time, but not these last two instances.

Guess it doesn't help when the venue asks you to setup right by the front door so a speaker is pretty much in the main thoroughfare....
  • Use a sub and a pole, instead of a tripod?  Big  and heavy, though.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • FarleyUK said:
    We had this happen on Friday AND Saturday night at different gigs - and I've also had it happen to me at various other gigs. One speaker dented one of the drummer's toms, and the next night, I managed to catch the speaker on my leg while doing a solo (which was quite impressive, I admit).

We tend to play small-ish venues where space is at a premium; we have the speakers in front of myself and the bassist (so no mic feedback), and the legs spread as wide as possible, but we still get idiots knocking them over.
    Always good for the bassist and the guitarist to have the legs spread as wide as possible at all times, well done.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    FarleyUK said:

Always good for the bassist and the guitarist to have the legs spread as wide as possible at all times, well done.
    Funnily enough, I had to do that at Saturday's gig; I'm 6ft 5, and the venue's ceiling was 5ft 8.....

I adopted the 'Quo Pose' all night.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6807
    FarleyUK said:

Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • FarleyUK said:

Rossi and Parfitt used to call that "the attack position"!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • maltingsaudiomaltingsaudio Frets: 3127
    edited December 2021
    Use a sub and a pole, instead of a tripod?  Big  and heavy, though.
    Best option^ Also put some hi vis tape or white gaffa tape on the legs so they are more obvious than black. If it comes to a claim, you need to prove you’ve taken all reasonable precautions. It’s also worth doing a quick general  risk assessment sheet highlighting tripping hazards and the procedures you’ve put in place to minimise the risk and send it to the venue as belt and braces. You can do this yourself doesn’t have to be fancy and at least it shows your insurers and the venue  you are aware and have tried.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • Seriously though I've had this and it's a nightmare. I've found just putting up something to designate the 'stage' area as separate helps. It's tricky because ideally you put something there as a barrier but also don't want to create more trip hazards. 
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72330
    Use a sub and a pole, instead of a tripod?  Big  and heavy, though.
    This. Subs always improve the sound anyway. If you're only using one, obviously put it on the side where it's most likely to be helpful. If you're using subs you can often use smaller and lighter tops which are less top-heavy as well.

Even then, I don't think it's impossible that someone heavy crashing into one could tip it over.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3654
    I find that playing to half empty venues where nobody gets up to dance greatly reduces the risk.
    10reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24272
    Have you thought about playing jazz?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6807
    Musicwolf said:
    I find that playing to half empty venues where nobody gets up to dance greatly reduces the risk.
    Or try playing original music..
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    Drunken punters, too many incidents to count. We’ve had a woman “trapped” between a bass bin and a wall, a guy fall over the monitors onto the stage area and was so drunk he couldn’t get up, multiple microphones into the teeth, beer into the mixing desk, lead microphone taken mid song as the punter thought he could sing it better, stage invasions involving multiple drunken women, the list is endless. Beyond a barbed wire fence, it’s hard to anticipate every incident.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stage invasions involving multiple drunken women

You were lucky !!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JMP220478JMP220478 Frets: 421
    edited December 2021
    and that's just audience participation ...

lead singer/animated frontman in band Ive recently joined, broke both arms at their last gig before first lockdown - stage antic that went wrong n fell off a 1m high stage onto his face breaking forearms in process - carried on like a trooper - adrenalin n a little too much gin apparently .. finished set n then off to A&E ...

0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1332
    Musicwolf said:
    So you've been to see us then?!
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...