Soundbrenner? Or other Metronome Advice

What's Hot
I have terrible trouble following a metronome, so I'm looking for help, tips and advice. 
My timing isn't bad but it's not as good as I would like obviously, I waver a little. If I have a metronome running I lose the click/beat/tap (i've tried loads) pretty quickly, it fades to the back and I stop following it, I do follow the visual part but (and its a big but) thats not much use if I ever end up in a band/jam. I've just recieved a Soundbrenner Pulse and that seems like a better idea but I'm not sure its actually powerful enough, although I've only tried it on my wrist and upper arm so far(only had it on the 24th) 
 Anybody got anything to batter my subconscious into submission and play the game ?

ta
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• If it's for practice, you might find a drum track / machine easier to follow and more realistic. 

I often play along to a loop using Steven Slate Drums. 

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8731
    Is the problem that you’re not putting enough focus on the metronome? Instead try playing along with a record. 

One of the great things about playing with other musicians is that it develops your ability to hear and identify what’s going on. You pick out elements, maybe the kick, maybe the high hat, and synchronise your playing with them.

If playing to a record helps then try something like GarageBand to provide drums and bass.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • What are you practicing to the metronome? If it's whole songs, then drum patterns would be better, but ultimately if you want to improve your time, the metronome is your friend. 

Start at a moderate pace (70-80bpm is good) and play scales, initially 8th notes (two notes for every one click), but also try quarter notes and 16th notes.
  • I find Lumbeat really good on YouTube. Many different videos and as someone with similar issues I like the count onscreen. 

• spev11spev11 Frets: 333
    Cheers all, to answer a few questions all in one go, I'm ok actually playing scales as its following the metronome in a regimented fashion (quarter notes, eighths etc). If I'm running through strumming patterns or chord progressions (or both) I lose the metro completely unless I just do a 4/4 1 strum per beat (which isn't really helping me). I'm better with a backing track to be fair (a little erratic but mostly in time). I did have a drum/looper (mooer one) but I just couldn't keep with it.
      Perhaps I need to go back to basics as far as the metronome goes and lock in simple strumming with it and slowly expand from there. It's my own fault for glossing over the metronome training early on. Maybe just knuckle down and concentrate.
  • You might benefit from counting the subdivisions in a bar and also tapping your feet as you play. If you haven’t done this before, try it in 4/4 time initially and subsequently move to other time signatures. I’ve watched drumming tutorials to try and improve my timing. 
  • spev11 said:
      Perhaps I need to go back to basics as far as the metronome goes and lock in simple strumming with it and slowly expand from there. It's my own fault for glossing over the metronome training early on. Maybe just knuckle down and concentrate.
    This is a good shout, going back to basics is always a good idea.

Also, something that really helped my time is to run scales and arpeggios with a click on half speed, so it's just on beat 1 and 3, (or beat 2&4 is good for practicing swing). That way you're having to use your internal clock more, and relying on the metronome less. You can also play your scales in different patterns, so maybe let the click play beat one, then you play the next 3 8ths notes, then rest for the click on beat 3 and so on, anything to break the pattern up and gently challenge yourself. Build stuff like this into your 10 min warm up everyday and you should see results!
    CarpeDiem said:
    You might benefit from counting the subdivisions in a bar and also tapping your feet as you play. If you haven’t done this before, try it in 4/4 time initially and subsequently move to other time signatures. I’ve watched drumming tutorials to try and improve my timing. 
    I do tap my foot but I forget to do that after a while, I think its an age thing  =) . My wife has always laughed at for tapping my foot to lead lines in songs not the underlying rythym :s  , Its why I dance like i'm having kniptions. 
      I'll give it a go.
    spev11 said:
    This is a good shout, going back to basics is always a good idea.

Also, something that really helped my time is to run scales and arpeggios with a click on half speed, so it's just on beat 1 and 3, (or beat 2&4 is good for practicing swing). That way you're having to use your internal clock more, and relying on the metronome less. You can also play your scales in different patterns, so maybe let the click play beat one, then you play the next 3 8ths notes, then rest for the click on beat 3 and so on, anything to break the pattern up and gently challenge yourself. Build stuff like this into your 10 min warm up everyday and you should see results!
    I'll give it a go, I've just found a metronome app that has a training mode that silences  a random beat ( or more I think) so i'll try that as well.

• That training mode sounds great! 
  • Buy a looper, such as Boss RC5. Drum loops included.
    If anyone is interested in the Metronome with trainer its this one https://www.justinguitar.com/products/time-trainer-metronome
    i've only tried the Android version, but it can be set to randomly drop beats,speed up and to have step increases. I'm going to try it out and see how it goes. So far the soundbrenner hasn't set my metronome world alight
  • WhistlerWhistler Frets: 322
    spev11 said:
    I dance like i'm having kniptions.
    Dancing (when no one is watching) is good practice to keeping tied in with a beat. Try disco (120-128bpm) and country (150-180bpm). Then try dancing with your guitar, playing any chord - with the volume off because this is about rhythm, timing, not pitch - only on the first beat of each bar and then, later, try only beats 2 and 4. This is about getting you in time with the beat and then your guitar playing will follow you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    i'll give it a go but i'll wait til Mrs Spev is out of the house, don't want her getting ideas after 30 years of avoiding dancing that I'm suddenly rhythmically capable  :#
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • spev11 said:
    CarpeDiem said:
    You might benefit from counting the subdivisions in a bar and also tapping your feet as you play. If you haven’t done this before, try it in 4/4 time initially and subsequently move to other time signatures. I’ve watched drumming tutorials to try and improve my timing. 
    I do tap my foot but I forget to do that after a while, I think its an age thing  =) . My wife has always laughed at for tapping my foot to lead lines in songs not the underlying rythym :s  , Its why I dance like i'm having kniptions. 
      I'll give it a go.
    Whistler said:
    spev11 said:
    Dancing (when no one is watching) is good practice to keeping tied in with a beat. Try disco (120-128bpm) and country (150-180bpm). Then try dancing with your guitar, playing any chord - with the volume off because this is about rhythm, timing, not pitch - only on the first beat of each bar and then, later, try only beats 2 and 4. This is about getting you in time with the beat and then your guitar playing will follow you.
    Absolutely: no witnesses!

As is hinted at in the quoted posts, once you start the metronome, spend a bar or four 'getting into it', mentally and physically, *without playing your guitar*.

I like the old approach of setting the metronome at half the tempo you want and visualising the clicks as snare beats on the 2 & 4...arguably a more musical usage and might make it less monotonous for you(?)
    spev11 said:
    CarpeDiem said:
      I'll give it a go.
    Whistler said:
    spev11 said:
    Absolutely: no witnesses!

As is hinted at in the quoted posts, once you start the metronome, spend a bar or four 'getting into it', mentally and physically, *without playing your guitar*.

I like the old approach of setting the metronome at half the tempo you want and visualising the clicks as snare beats on the 2 & 4...arguably a more musical usage and might make it less monotonous for you(?)
    doing it that way may get me into playing along with drum beats. Loads for me to work on here, cheers for the advice everyone
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2980
    Trio+
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • I still don't think I'm great at this but the thing that got me making the most progress was when I started recording myself playing along to a click or drum track. Using a DAW or just a phone app. I think the fact that you know it's being recorded and being able to listen back really focusses the attention. Also getting a looper pedal is great for improving the timing.
    blobb said:
    Trio+
    Funnily enough I looked at the Trio+ but honestly thought it was more than I needed. I had a Mooer Mini Rhythm Looper but the single foot switch drove me bonkers. I want one that has a button for each function (or at least a start button and a stop button).
     I have been knuckling down and It's got a bit better, scales in time with a metronome up to around 120/130ish and i'm fine. Where it all falls apart is rhythm chord progressions. Even simple stuff like D D U U D and I'm racing ahead. I subjected MrsSpev11 to one of the acoustic songs I've been learning and she said it was not bad (time wise, she rarely comments on quality so as not to offend  =)  )  as soon as I put the metronome on it all goes to crap.
     More practice, less dicking about I think, just repetition until it sinks in.
     I will get a looper though for no other reason than its a simple way to hear back what I just ruined.
  • vizviz Frets: 10708
    Came here to say "tap your foot" but it's already been said. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.