In this thread, we play both types of music...

What's Hot

Comments

• Re: the Country & Western question...

I think Country is more deeply rooted in American folk music and tends to be the Johnny Cash/Willie Nelson train of thought.

Western relates to Western Swing and has roots in jazz. That's more stuff Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys.

I assume Country & Western refers to a blend of both but I could be miles off as that's a complete guess! Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4916
    Either way, that was some really good playing!

• TheOtherDennisTheOtherDennis Frets: 2011
    edited January 2022
    Excellent playing from both of you, really well done. C&W isn't usually my style, but that was a really cheerful piece that put a proper smile on my face,

Interested in why you changed your t-shirt inbetween your parts ;-)
    If you must have sex with a frog, wear a condom. If you want the frog to have fun, rib it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11686
    edited January 2022
    Re: the Country & Western question...

I think Country is more deeply rooted in American folk music and tends to be the Johnny Cash/Willie Nelson train of thought.

Western relates to Western Swing and has roots in jazz. That's more stuff Bob Wills & His Texas Playboys.

I assume Country & Western refers to a blend of both but I could be miles off as that's a complete guess! Somebody correct me if I'm wrong!
    Use the phrase 'Country & Western' in Nashville and they either won't know what you mean, or they'll get a bit annoyed.  Just sayin' :-)
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    Offset said:

Use the phrase 'Country & Western' in Nashville and they either won't know what you mean, or they'll get a bit annoyed.  Just sayin' :-)
    MrsTheWeary used to live in Arkansas where they just called country music: music. 

Anyway, great playing all (or y'all).
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited January 2022
    Excellent playing from both of you, really well done. C&W isn't usually my style, but that was a really cheerful piece that put a proper smile on my face,

Interested in why you changed your t-shirt inbetween your parts ;-)
    Thank you very much! Very kind!

Eagle eyed of you too! Response below!
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Pabcrane said:
    I've wondered, since a small child: what is the difference between Country 

Not Willie Nelson in Country though .......
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • I did write a long response to that question and it decided to remove all my text when I posted it!

Long story short: recorded solo 1, sent to @koss59, went to gig, spilled beer on shirt, recorded solo 2
  • I should be taking lessons from both of you - well done. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlw said:
    Pabcrane said:

What's Willie then?! Uh oh - I feel I might have put me foot in my mouth now!
  • telehack said:
    I should be taking lessons from both of you - well done. 
    You're too kind! @koss59 does lessons. He's better than me on all instruments!
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2989
    edited January 2022
    Offset said:

Yusss, I never heard anyone say it when I was there! As @EricTheWeary says they just call it music!
  • RockerRocker Frets: 4982
    Lovely playing guys.  Not many guitar music pieces tempt me to listen to the end but this did.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

rlw said:
    Pabcrane said:

What's Willie then?! Uh oh - I feel I might have put me foot in my mouth now!
    It’s a good question.  Look at the songs he’s written and they cross so many genres.  There’s not a lot of straight Johnny Cash or Hank Williams style but there is a lot of very good songwriting performed in a more sophisticated way while clearly showing it’s roots.
    What I’m getting at is that it inhabits a space between Appalachia and Brooklyn. Maybelle Carter and Frank Sinatra.
  • Basically if it comes from Nashville these days it’s hip hop with an American accent and called Country. Anywhere else if it sounds like Country music it’s no longer country it’s Americana. 
    That’s why I call my show The Country show, like Rock, there are a lot of different sub divisions and same with Country. Such as Red Dirt, Country Swing. 
    That music just played, (which I love by the way and will play it on my show next Tuesday if that’s ok?) is more Bakersfield country, like the Buck Owens, Merle Haggard and Dwight Yoakam influences. 
    Great playing. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4724
    Yeehah!  I loves me a bit of C&W - lovely playing, & that pedal steel is particularly wonderful! aok
    Sheriff emoji isolated on white background cowboy emoticon 3d rendering
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • Basically if it comes from Nashville these days it’s hip hop with an American accent and called Country. Anywhere else if it sounds like Country music it’s no longer country it’s Americana. 
    That’s why I call my show The Country show, like Rock, there are a lot of different sub divisions and same with Country. Such as Red Dirt, Country Swing. 
    That music just played, (which I love by the way and will play it on my show next Tuesday if that’s ok?) is more Bakersfield country, like the Buck Owens, Merle Haggard and Dwight Yoakam influences. 
    Great playing. 
    Wow! Thank you! Ping me a message with an email address and I'll send you the audio if you like? I would agree with what you said about genres. They're all just 'sounds' to me and this is the Bakersfield sound. One of my favourite modern albums is the one Vince Gill and Paul Franklin made a few years ago which was all that sort of stuff!
    Basically if it comes from Nashville these days it’s hip hop with an American accent and called Country. Anywhere else if it sounds like Country music it’s no longer country it’s Americana. 
    Great playing. 

Remind me where to find your show please.
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 847
    Basically if it comes from Nashville these days it’s hip hop with an American accent and called Country. Anywhere else if it sounds like Country music it’s no longer country it’s Americana. 
    Great playing. 
    There are some good new guys coming out of Nashville, you just have to search through the crap.
    Have you heard Charley Crocketts new album, Music City USA?
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/
  • Yeah, give us a link @koneguitarist I would love to have a listen!