Help! Gig in 90 mins and amp not working!

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Right, two RFT valves arrived and all working!

One thing I noticed over the last few weeks is that the amp seemed to be sounding fizzy - should I have read that as a sign of impending failure?

Also is there a proper way to dispose of old valves?
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72485

One thing I noticed over the last few weeks is that the amp seemed to be sounding fizzy - should I have read that as a sign of impending failure?
    Possibly. A filament (what's failed if the valve isn't lighting up on one side) usually just goes from working to not working, but it's not impossible it could have failed progressively.

In theory you're supposed to put them in the electrical scrap container at your local recycling centre. In practice, I suspect most people just bin them.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 18859
    edited January 2022
    Right, two RFT valves arrived and all working!

Do what some other people do... sell them on eBay as untested 
    Kidding!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom