NGD - 40th Birthday Present & The Dream Realised

What's Hot
gubblegubble Frets: 1746
My wife took me to London last week to celebrate turning 40 - something I was dreading and we took a trip down Denmark Street which wasn't as deserted and desolate as I'd been hearing.

A good amount of shops - lots of interesting stock and all the staff were really friendly - had a great time.

I've always wanted a proper Gibson Les Paul - previously had a 2016 Studio Faded from a wonderful chap from this forum which I thought would be my dream - but it sadly wasn't and I just didn't like the guitar - compared to my Vintage V100 it wasn't good. SO i sold it around 4 years ago and continued to dream.

Being utterly ridiculous and superficial the dream Les Paul for me had to either be a Gold Top with P90's or a Cherry Sunburst based on something from 58-60 - and I happened upon this:

2006 Gibson Les Paul Classic - it's in the right colour and the thinner 60's profile neck is stunning. Fell in love with it instantly, my wife was happy for me to spent the money and I bought it. Got it home, gave it a good polish, gigged it Saturday night and can't stop either looking at it or playing it. 

I don't know why but the guitar just fits me perfectly and even unplugged it sounds so musical. Plug it in and in my head i'm sounding like Gary Moore.

Anyway here it is - I utterly love it. I wish i could go back and tell 14 year old me who had the poster of one of these on his wall that it would eventually happen.

0reaction image LOL 45reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WhitecatWhitecat Frets: 5419
    Congrats and HBD/HNGD! That is a fine specimen indeed, I love it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Switch625Switch625 Frets: 583
    Congrats! Which shop did you end up purchasing it from?
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    gubble said:
    , gigged it Saturday night and can't stop either looking at it or playing it. 

I don't know why but the guitar just fits me perfectly and even unplugged it sounds so musical. 

and that ladies and gentlemen,  is precisely what the phrase

QED

is for.

good GAS my friend
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    Switch625 said:
    No Tom Guitars - they were awesome - the guys there understood exactly what I was after - understood that for my silly mind it needed to say Gibson, they also understood my budget and just gave great customer service.

I parked the car nearby - honestly I felt sick walking back with the case having spent that sort of money. 
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    edited January 2022
    For my 40th I think my wife took me to B&Q! Happy Guirthday!
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • beautiful guitar many happy returns
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27478
    gubble said:

I parked the car nearby - honestly I felt sick walking back with the case having spent that sort of money. 
    Know what you  mean - the cost of parking in London is mad!

Nice guitar - and even nicer when its finally the fulfilment of a long-held dream.
    :+1:
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    14reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jeztone2jeztone2 Frets: 2160
    Congratulations. It looks lovely. 
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2393
    edited January 2022
    Congrats, that's gorgeous! Being 10 years your junior, the LP Classic in sunburst is one of the first guitars I can remember staring at for hours on the Gibson website in the very early 00s - I think I had one identical to that as my desktop wallpaper. So while I'm lucky enough to have other Les Pauls, I would still love to have one just like yours one day.

Glad to hear it's living up to expectations - sometimes it's good to meet your heroes after all!
    Tim
  • MagicBusMagicBus Frets: 104
    gubble said:
    Anyway here it is - I utterly love it. I wish i could go back and tell 14 year old me who had the poster of one of these on his wall that it would eventually happen.

I love the story! Enjoy!! 
    Less is more
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11656
    Great guitar and what a great story to boot.  Enjoy it!
  • Happy birthday fella and I am glad you got something you love :)
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • dazzajldazzajl Frets: 5753
    Really glad you found that love of your life in the end. :)
  • Very interesting to read this, as I recently had my hands around an LP Classic, again with my experience of my own LP Studio as a comparison.

I never gig with my Studio - I find it too dark and needs too much faffing to get a workable sound for what I do.
    Played a wedding recently where the groom brought his Classic and wanted to get up and play on a couple of songs, and I had to soundcheck it for him. 

When I picked it up, I couldn't believe it - the (guessing 60's profile) neck was so much thinner than the baseball bat on my Studio it didn't even remotely feel like the same model of guitar. I almost suspected his was a fake at first, it felt so lightweight in comparison, like someone had knocked up a check replica!

But....it played great, balanced well and sounded great. So, there you go. Pretty much the same thing you found with yours, so well done on you NGD!

• That's a lovely guitar. HNGD. I really want one of those - I miss having a plain top (they aren't plain at all but you know what I mean) Les Paul.

• HNGD and Happy Birthday!

It's my 40th in a couple of months. I've always dreamt of getting a really special guitar for the occasion. Alas, I think if my better half was to treat me to a trip to find a new guitar it's more likely to be to the local Cash Converters, not to Denmark Street!  :s
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Lovely guitar and a belated Happy Birthday

Getting on has its benefits....
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    That’s smashing. Honestly chuffed for you, fella!!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• tony99tony99 Frets: 7106
    very nice, my standard has a 60's neck, much more preferable to me too
    Bollocks you don't know Bono !!
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3395
    gubble said:
    Switch625 said:
    No Tom Guitars - they were awesome - the guys there understood exactly what I was after - understood that for my silly mind it needed to say Gibson, they also understood my budget and just gave great customer service.

Sick perhaps, but also excited in the most life affirming way. YOLO etc. Many happy returns!