NGD - 40th Birthday Present & The Dream Realised

What's Hot

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Looks great, love a plain top. I am also dreading 40. Don't worry about the price, the way things are going it will be worth more soon. Congrats
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • blueskunkblueskunk Frets: 2877
    Happy Birthday man, what a lovely looking guitar, proper quality !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • DrBobDrBob Frets: 3006
    Not sure what warrants the bigger congratulations, the guitar or actually managing to get parked in the west end, although I imagine they were a similar cost !
    Happy Birthday and what a beauty that LP is 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TINMAN82TINMAN82 Frets: 1846
    Great story and lovely LP. I turn 40 this year too….I wish my wife was this understanding!
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    I can't recall what Mrs M got me for my 40th but I know it wasn't a guitar. That's a beauty - and a belated Happy Birthday! :) 
  • Great story and a great ending... I liked the postcard to 14 year old self bit best :-)
    It looks a total keeper! Many Happy Returns!
  • icu81b4icu81b4 Frets: 368
    Nice story, and nice axe. Happy 40th 
  • SargeSarge Frets: 2401
    I love a happy ending!

congratz! 
  • SchmoSchmo Frets: 170
    Nice story, cracking guitar too - enjoy !
  • gubble said:
    My wife took me to London last week to celebrate turning 40 - something I was dreading and we took a trip down Denmark Street which wasn't as deserted and desolate as I'd been hearing.

A good amount of shops - lots of interesting stock and all the staff were really friendly - had a great time.

I've always wanted a proper Gibson Les Paul - previously had a 2016 Studio Faded from a wonderful chap from this forum which I thought would be my dream - but it sadly wasn't and I just didn't like the guitar - compared to my Vintage V100 it wasn't good. SO i sold it around 4 years ago and continued to dream.

Being utterly ridiculous and superficial the dream Les Paul for me had to either be a Gold Top with P90's or a Cherry Sunburst based on something from 58-60 - and I happened upon this:

2006 Gibson Les Paul Classic - it's in the right colour and the thinner 60's profile neck is stunning. Fell in love with it instantly, my wife was happy for me to spent the money and I bought it. Got it home, gave it a good polish, gigged it Saturday night and can't stop either looking at it or playing it. 

I don't know why but the guitar just fits me perfectly and even unplugged it sounds so musical. Plug it in and in my head i'm sounding like Gary Moore.

Anyway here it is - I utterly love it. I wish i could go back and tell 14 year old me who had the poster of one of these on his wall that it would eventually happen.

Ooooooh I really like these , a most excellent choice . I absolutely love a plain top  , SLASH has just bought an 87 standard that looks just like this .  I like both the Cherry sunburst and honey burst  which look  just like the 87’s he owns 
  • Congrats and happy birthday! Looks cracking, that. 
  • slackerslacker Frets: 2238
    edited January 2022
    I've had a similar story. I had a studio in 97. I didn't bond with it and got rid. 04 I bought a classic. I still have it although I did have lollars installed in it in 13 because when I went to trade it for a better lp I couldn't find one.
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 5035
    edited January 2022
    Good story, enjoy the guitar.
    I got a pair of Kickers boots for my 40th s (it was a long time ago). 
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RedlesterRedlester Frets: 1072
    A lovely story. 

Don't worry about how much you spent on it. In terms of the amount of satisfaction it'll give you- and how long I suspect you will own it and play it- I think this is already well on its way to paying for itself. 
  • CHRISB50CHRISB50 Frets: 4309
    Happy 40th. Lovely guitar.

Can tell you're in love as you made it a little pillow : )

I can't help about the shape I'm in, I can't sing I ain't pretty and my legs are thin

But don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • gubblegubble Frets: 1746
    So a few weeks back I picked up my Gibson Les Paul - and I'm still completely amazed that I own it !

Being an utter tart I've installed pickup covers and replaced the truss rod cover with a blank one. 

It now is utter perfection for me.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1410
    edited February 2022
    That's a fine looking plaintop. I much prefer them and the pickup covers are a great upgrade.
    Being a man of a certain age (Over 40) there is something about LPs. Although they will never be home for me, nothing quite has that "proper guitar" heft and a small part of me felt like some little milestone had been reached when I got my humble 50s tribute. Will probably never spend the cash on a full fat model but a nice one still makes me smile.
    Congratulations.
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 4788
    Flipping lovely that, as a fellow plain top HCSB owner I tips me hat!

My head said brake, but my heart cried never.

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6059
    That's a beauty and it polished up a treat. Plain tops look so classy, congrats on a great score.
  • darthed1981darthed1981 Frets: 11754

NGD - 40th Birthday Present & The Dream Realised

Harley Benton, surely.....?

Seriously though, happy NGD :)

You are the dreamer, and the dream...