RIP Meatloaf!

What's Hot

Comments

• JayceeJaycee Frets: 308
    I bought BOOH in one of the London markets whilst on a day trip there in the late 70's, it didn't have the lyrics in the sleeve so I asked my mates girlfriend if she could write them out for me, I think it took her a week.

Bat out of Hell is overblown, pompous, and utterly ridiculous.  All reasons why I'll be cranking it later.

RIP, Meat Loaf. 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Very sad news, indeed. BOOH is a great album, and as already said, before, most of us can sing along with every song on it. I like that he didn’t seem to take himself too seriously, too.. he came across as a pretty cool guy. Great name, too!
    RIP Meat! :'(
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RIP, king

I'm just a Maserati in a world of Kias.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14272
    tFB Trader
    I was 17 and in the 6th form at school when Bat out of Hell was first released - It was one of those albums that you knew where you where when it came out - Everybody played it - The 6th form common room was just full of it all the time - As a young aspiring guitar player I was always enthralled by the guitar playing of Todd on BOOH

So in some ways a part of my later teenage years has just disappeared today - So I'm going to do what many others will do today and that is play it again - RIP and thanks for the memories 
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    edited January 2022
    I was a big fan as a kid and never really lost that. I can remember buying an album (can't remember which one, it had something like "feel like jumping the gun"?) and listening to it while playing scalextric with my friend.

RIP Mr loaf.

EDIT album was "bad attitude".
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24304
    I was lucky enough to see him live.

It was an amazing show. 

If anyone hasn't seen it - the Classic Albums episode on BOOH is well worth watching.
  • And I think somebody somewhere must be tolling a bell...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24304
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 559
    Many fond memories, great voice & Bat Out of Hell was such a fantastic Album  . . . RIP Meatloaf, 
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22904
    I must admit I half-thought he'd already died a while ago, but sad news.

Bat Out of Hell was one of the first half-dozen albums I bought as a teenager.  I did ultimately sell it to help fund some other purchase (money was tight in those days!) but I still think it's a great album - and I hardly need to own it to remember it, I'd played it that many times.  I don't think he ever came close to matching it (Todd Rundgren's contribution is not to be underestimated).

I do have to say, the only time I've fallen asleep at a gig it was Meat Loaf at Wembley Arena.   He was long past his best but to be fair to him, I partly blame that awful soulless venue.

RIP.
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14272
    tFB Trader
    An abiding memory I have of Meat Loaf has nothing to do with music - There was a special 'It's a knockout' charity event arranged by Fergie (yes Andy's ex) with various celebrities - Think it was at Alton Towers in the late 80's - Think it was Gary Lineker who was dressed in one of the silly costumes, so as to slow him down - But he had to be chased down by Meat Loaf, who was not in costume - Bottom line is he never had a chance and never did catch him
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8713
    Threads merged
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7258
    Philly_Q said:
    I must admit I half-thought he'd already died a while ago, but sad news.
    I think that when Jim Steinman died last year I felt as though it was the end of an era.  Great songwriting, great musicianship, but most of all I think Meatloaf was one of only a handful of people who could have delivered Steinman's great songs to us with such huge theatrical flair and power, yet he just seemed like an ordinary humble guy in interviews.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Bat out of Hell is a unique record, bombastic, flamboyant, and as mentioned elsewhere, utterly ridiculous.  One of the great rock albums and certainly can't imagine any other voice delivering it. 

RIP
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • MrTeeMrTee Frets: 510
    You know that scene in 'Almost Famous' where the kid is looking at the covers of his sister's albums, and it's as if his life is just beginning and his eyes are opened? That was me looking at the cover of my dad's 'Bat out of hell' record when I was about 10
    RIP
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72382
    MrTee said:
    You know that scene in 'Almost Famous' where the kid is looking at the covers of his sister's albums, and it's as if his life is just beginning and his eyes are opened? That was me looking at the cover of my dad's 'Bat out of hell' record when I was about 10
    Like the album, the cover is also overblown, ridiculous, and one of the greatest ever… along with a handful of others it defines what a rock album should look like :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • CoolCatCoolCat Frets: 158
    edited January 2022
    Sad news indeed. Your work is done MEAT - RIP.

Meatloaf was a 'larger than life' character.. In musical terms he set the bar for others to follow.

His BOOH album was a benchmark. One of the all time top charters and sellers.
    'Life is very short, and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend' - Lennon & McCartney (We can work it out).
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22904
    I never realised until today that the big man played, but there are loads of pictures of him with some nice guitars:

Meat Loaf  Equipboard
    Meat Loaf - discography line-up biography interviews photos
    986 Meat Loaf Singer Photos and Premium High Res Pictures - Getty Images
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I managed to see Meat perform live a couple of times and it was incredibly theatrical and fantastically over the top.  Great gigs that will stay long in my memory.  Sad day.

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2291
    Rest in peace. 

In all honesty I loathed that pompous rock operatic stuff. But he was full on talent and performer.