Royal Blood

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
How fucking good are they?

Love it - best new band I've picked up on in ages. Just watching them at reading - sooooo much noise for two blokes and only bass
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    Aye, they've nailed the 2-piece thing way better than White Stripes and the like.
    Rifftastic!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17919
    tFB Trader
    Superb, best band I've heard in years. 
  • How many effects must he use to fill the sound like that!!

And @monquixote, I'm sure at reading he was using 2 supersonics!!!
    tFB Trader
    Hypersonic!

• From 32 seconds - defo supersonics
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bigfuzzbigfuzz Frets: 45
    two supersonics, when the lad switches to the starcaster bass.. filth. actually made me consider picking up a bass and a muff..
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5606
    I haz bass.
    I haz Muff.
    I haz two Whammys.

Hmmm.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4076
    I read he uses POGs
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    2 x POG2s.. 
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24893
    Here is his pedal board

2 Pogs, 2 Boss Harmonizers, Zvex Distortron, Strymon Flint, Boss EQ, Boss LS-2 Line Selector, Boss tuner, Palmer Triage.

Effectively (see what I did there!) He can shift the octave from where he is playing (so up or down) and then use the Harmonizers to add the other chord elements individually. So Play an E (signal into the bass amp), but the octave up signal goes into the harmonizers to add a 5th or Octave (or both) to create the chord and then run that into the guitar amps.

The signal path isn't difficult or even original, but it is the first time I've seen it in a duo to get rid of guitars. Usually the approach is used when a 3 piece don't want to get a keyboard player! :D

I quite like the tunes I've heard so far, but I'd like to hear more- I have a suspicion it might limit every tune to sounding very similar.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

tFB Trader
    I think that's a Mastotron rather than a Distortron. 

I've seen quite a few people who's sound I really like using them so I think an investment might be in order.
    you might be right there!

And that would make a lot more sense on a bass!

Yup - deffo a Mast. Too many knobs for a Distortron.

I love Zvex pedals, but the landscape layout means I can't have them on my board without binning loads of others.

tFB Trader
    Same here. 

It's a bloody stupid layout.
  • OctahedronOctahedron Frets: 400
    Whaaaaaa?! 

I thought Royal Blood were a 3 piece! Damn. And that's all just bass?! Swear on my life it was guitar. Yeesh well I better get back to getting me hearing checked out then. Only young as well. Fudge. 

I do like Royal Blood. Gotta say they're pretty good. Album just came out here on Friday. Think I need to stick it on the buying list. I've got the Out of the Black EP which I enjoyed! :) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73116
    Must admit that having heard so much about this band, I was quite disappointed in their set at Glastonbury. There's only so much you can do with two instruments, and like all the other two-instrument/fuzz/POG/etc bands they seem to do the same thing over and over. Deap Vally are the same, great for the first couple of songs but then it gets very samey. (But better looking ;).) Even the White Stripes really ran out of musical ideas quite quickly and were only kept going by the strength of some of the songs… and then called it quits about at the right time.

There was a band in Edinburgh at least three or four years ago who were doing the drums-and-bass-only thing too, so Royal Blood didn't exactly strike me as that original from that point of view either. http://thefireandi.com/band/

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299

Still.
  • imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    I thought Deap Vally were very samey after the first 30s of watching. Happened to turn on their Glastonbury set last year and quickly went from 'that's good, it'll sound great when it kicks off' to 'it's not going to kick off, is it?' Have liked Royal Blood so far, but have only heard a couple of tracks.
  • Excellent band,first time I've seen them yesterday on BBC3.