Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

The greatest single note in guitar solo history

What's Hot

Comments

• CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1558
    edited February 2022
    For those outside the demographic of "old people who can't see past classic rock" - any of the first notes in the following... 

Oasis - Slide Away 
    Muse - Plug In Baby 
    U2 - With or Without You
    That is classic rock stickyfiddle. 
    That couldn't be any more classic rock than if it had just staggered thru the door wearing leather trousers with a loose fitting scarf whilst swigging a bottle of jack daniels and flicking peace signs...
    before playing a :Les Paul guitar whilst it shoots fire out of the headstock...
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 9018
    The false harmonic squawk at exactly 1:52 in the video below of Walter Trout - Kill The Monkey gives me goosepimples.  It's just as he's stepping into the guitar solo after the harmonica finishes.  In fact his solo is riddled with them and his guitar sound is so thick and juicy it's almost as though he is wringing the notes out of the neck.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5215
    Hetfields held note (after a banging solo) at the end of Nothing Else Matters, I know it's ebowed but its class none the less.

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

• The beginning of Angus' 2nd solo in Touch to much and the beginning of the final solo in Walk all over you.

Acdc
    If we're talking Angus, I'd like to nominate the A note in the live version of Bad Boy Boogie (from If You Want Blood), which he plays, and then obviously likes it so much that he plays it another couple of hundred times in succession.   :)
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• I've got two contenders:

Paul Kossoff, Free Live - The Hunter: The first bend/vibrato.

Or

Ty Tabor, Kings X - Over My Head: The first bend in the second solo, which occurs at 2:03 in the clip below

It's not a competition.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CaseOfAce said:
    For those outside the demographic of "old people who can't see past classic rock" - any of the first notes in the following... 

Oasis - Slide Away 
    Muse - Plug In Baby 
    U2 - With or Without You
    That is classic rock stickyfiddle. 
    That couldn't be any more classic rock than if it had just staggered thru the door wearing leather trousers with a loose fitting scarf whilst swigging a bottle of jack daniels and flicking peace signs...
    before playing a :Les Paul guitar whilst it shoots fire out of the headstock...
    You know what I mean. Chaps that won't listen to anything that came out after Back in Black, and think vocals are just the bit between guitar solos... 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • The beginning of Angus' 2nd solo in Touch to much and the beginning of the final solo in Walk all over you.

Acdc
    If we're talking Angus, I'd like to nominate the A note in the live version of Bad Boy Boogie (from If You Want Blood), which he plays, and then obviously likes it so much that he plays it another couple of hundred times in succession.   :)
    I a lways felt their live in Paris versions we're the pinnacle.  Bad boy boogie breakdown in that version is glorious. 
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6375
    JezWynd said:
    Ronson peaking on Moonage Daydream.
    Absolutely this! 
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2519
    Parisienne Walkways - THAT held bend.
  • Opening note of the solo on Eric Clapton’s studio version of Holy Mother.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 3001
    edited February 2022
    If a mute with a stuttery delay thing counts, then that bit on the main riff of MOR by Blur is so cool. 

Also if a chord with wah counts then that bit of Bulls On Parade by RATM. 

I think @ICBM wins with that Sabbath one though!
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1738
    edited February 2022
    You know what I mean. Chaps that won't listen to anything that came out after Back in Black, and think vocals are just the bit between guitar solos... 
    Hey - I resemble that remark...

Thusly. Schenker's opening note from Let it Roll - the original studio version.

• The long sustained feedback note at the beginning of Flying In a Blue Dream.

• markvmarkv Frets: 463
    My nomination is the stunning harmonic Neil Young wrings of Old Black at about 2:38 in the Weld version of "Hey Hey, My My". Never fails to send chills down my spine.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • gordijigordiji Frets: 815
    I always used to wait with anticipation for this note at 4.33 precisely ! The whole passage is mesmorising though.

• LPManicLPManic Frets: 1223
    If we are talking about a single note in a solo, then really we should be talking about the single D note in Cinnamon Girl.
  • Some good suggestions but surely bends are not single notes?
  • Yes here I am again with another Soundgarden selection …. Slaves and Bulldozers, Kim Thayil’s frenzied,barely in control wah soaked single note at the start of the solo at 4:16. takes the song to another level of intensity and exhilaration.

https://youtu.be/AEM-1kKcg7g
  • Three pages in and no Cinnamon Girl?  It's the de facto reductive guitar solo of the ages!
    YouTube yak-about regarding all things alt/indie/post-punk/noise/etc >>> HERE
  • Three pages in and no Cinnamon Girl?  It's the de facto reductive guitar solo of the ages!
    Fell down a hole I never expected to: searched for Neil Young on Spotify...doh!

I've never really listened closely to this...was hoping, as it's only one note, that he'd manage to play in-tune for once ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom