Dave's (the rapper) guitar solo at the Brit Awards 2022 !?!?

What's Hot
CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1558
Why ain't we all talking about this?

He goes full boomer 6:36 minutes in... 
I'm just amazed that a modern day Brit rapper has strapped on a (modern?!) Les Paul and gone full on Jimmy Page in 2022 !?!
Maybe we are all cool after all right folks?  =)

I'm assuming that the youngsters aren't familiar with Ace Frehley's antics with Kiss in the 70s...
hey ..what goes around comes around right?

...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    I wonder if they got Colin Furze to build it.
    It's looks a bit like the one he made.
  • Like the way he plays with his thumb too!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25112
    I was trying to work out if he was really playing or not.  He certainly seems to be playing something, although oddly he plays without a pick, Lil Wayne style (sorry Dave, no offence).  But then at the end of the clip you see there's another guitarist, also with a flamethrower.
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7432
    Philly_Q said:
    I was trying to work out if he was really playing or not.  He certainly seems to be playing something, although oddly he plays without a pick, Lil Wayne style (sorry Dave, no offence).  But then at the end of the clip you see there's another guitarist, also with a flamethrower.
    Yes theres a few quick notes at 6.45 that dont appear to sync with his fingers. The other guitarist also has his back to the audience (so the flamethrowers cross over) so he could be making the actual amplified sounds.
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4268
    edited February 2022
    It’s terrible enough to be played live, what a bloody racket 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10591
    edited February 2022
    He’s obviously a beginner and yes it wasn’t very clean but he’s on the right path and you can’t knock him for it. It’s not like the Lil Wayne thing where he can’t play, isn’t gonna learn and just thinks he can wing it. Dave has written and/or learned a part and he’s giving it his best shot. That deserves respect. 

Near the end you see the other guitarist and he appears to be playing the same thing as Dave. Probably much lower in the mix because I would imagine that the professional, session/touring guitarist would have played that much more cleanly and smoothly. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • wellsyboywellsyboy Frets: 460
    edited February 2022
    bends are flat as fuck
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3362
    tFB Trader
    Well that was awful, I'm not into rap either, especially the new crap I hear, it's got no groove and not musical to my old ears.
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Considering he's playing in front of tons of people, being filmed for TV, just rapped live and is waiting for fire to shoot out the end of his guitar, I think he's done a good job.
  • Yes it's a bit 'make a guitar noise here' but we've all done that haven't we, for a solo? Haven't we? Just me and Dave then...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • carloscarlos Frets: 3692
    That was some of the cheesiest, shittiest guitar playing I've seen in a while. Glad I don't watch TV. Fucking hell. He should have Guthrie Govan backstage and just and Mili Vanilli'd it.
  • ftumchftumch Frets: 697
    It's not my thing at all, I don't know who any of them are. I imagine in keeping with the fire theme they got that one guy up from the audience to have a go cos he's a burns victim? Modern inclusivity and all that, nice. He was just as good at talking and saying words that rhyme and biggin up his mandem as the others too. Respecc.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 74500
    Brilliant. I loved that.

Philly_Q said:
    Yes, I'm pretty sure he's really playing. It's sync'ed with his hand movements, but is 'unrhythmic' enough that it would be extremely difficult for another guitarist to duplicate.

mrkb said:

Yes theres a few quick notes at 6.45 that dont appear to sync with his fingers. The other guitarist also has his back to the audience (so the flamethrowers cross over) so he could be making the actual amplified sounds.
    He plays those with just his thumb dragged across the strings.

What's really interesting is that he's playing in something close to that typical 'African' thumb style, but with an utterly different sound from the usual Strat/Roland JC-120 bright clean sound that most of those players use.

carlos said:
    That was some of the cheesiest, shittiest guitar playing I've seen in a while. Glad I don't watch TV. Fucking hell. He should have Guthrie Govan backstage and just and Mili Vanilli'd it.
    Er... no.

It's better than some of the crap Jimmy Page has played live, anyway...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    “Bends are as flat as fuck”

”Cheesy playing”

you lot really are cocks sometimes!!!!

let’s see you all get up there and do something like that… not much call for mustang sally at the brits tho’ I guess!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 8reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 18329
    tFB Trader
    Good on him.

Will do a huge amount for kids thinking guitars are cool.

He's not EVH, but that took balls.
  • SnagsSnags Frets: 5694
    I prefer the discussion in /guitar where there's a bit less miserable superiority on display. I'd have been happy to have turned that in, in context. I've certainly fucked up more in less trying circumstances.
  • DiscoStuDiscoStu Frets: 5737
    I didn't know he could play piano and guitar so I was kinda impressed. Not enough to listen to his music but kudos to him for getting up there and doing it whilst potentially burning to death.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    ICBM said:

It's better than some of the crap Jimmy Page has played live, anyway...
    Agreed, Page was slopppppppppy.

Dave managed miles better than I would have. If this is how the British rap artists are going to start one upping eachother post Rabea with Stormzy then I'm alllllllllll for it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    sweepy said:
    It’s terrible enough to be played live, what a bloody racket 
    wellsyboy said:
    bends are flat as fuck
    carlos said:
    Looking forward to seeing the links to your YouTube vids or having a listen to your latest releases…

C’mon don’t be shy… 
  • gusman2xgusman2x Frets: 935
    Thought it was ace. He’s a rapper and a producer first and foremost, so to have the balls to play a flame throwing Les Paul as the closer to his performance when it’s not his main instinct I thought was class.