3PU LP Custom Build

What's Hot
DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
edited February 2022 in Making & Modding
I'm planning a 3 pickup LP. I'd like to have push/pull pots turning the 3 pickups on and off, with the conventional LP toggle acting as a phase switch for the middle pickup.

Does this look about right? TIA x

https://imgur.com/wGK3i1w

https://i.imgur.com/wGK3i1w.jpg

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72411
    It will work, but you'll get a loud hum when all three pickups are turned off because the output will then be open circuit. Luckily, there's an easy way to avoid this - use the other three poles of the pull-switches connected in series from the common hot to ground, so that the output is muted when all three switches are off.

If you can't visualise how to wire it - as it appears in the diagram -

On the neck pickup switch, connect the two middle terminals together. (Where the red wire goes to the other middle terminal.)
    Also on the neck switch, connect the lower right terminal to the middle right terminal on the middle pickup switch.
    On the middle switch, connect the lower right terminal to the middle right terminal on the bridge switch.
    On the bridge switch, connect the lower right terminal to ground.

You'll also need to use shielded cable for the pickups, and a 2-core+shield for the middle pickup wiring, both to the phase switch and from there to the pickup (you probably know that!).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DannyPDannyP Frets: 1681
    edited February 2022
    Thanks so much for taking the time to check that over!

Is this what you meant?

DannyP said:

Is this what you meant?
    Yes, exactly.

You can actually wire those three switches in any order which is convenient physically, as long as they're in series - that was just the easiest way of explaining it on the drawing :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

Fab, thanks so much!
    In the world of wood, there's some strange wavy open grain in whatever it is Chinese kit makers are passing off for mahogany nowadays.

Before I grain fill tomorrow, I've given it a quick pass with 800grit. It now feels better but looks worse.

No matter, it will get a solid finish because it's an LP Custom and I'm not a lunatic.

2reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I'm working on decal designs too. Undecided.

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 639
    Left hand side feather logo would be my choice. It's different enough, but still similar enough at a glance to the Custom diamond. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    DannyP said:

No matter, it will get a solid finish because it's an LP Custom and I'm not a lunatic.
    There’s someone here who had a dark cherry one that looks amazing.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    abw1989 said:
    Left hand side feather logo would be my choice. It's different enough, but still similar enough at a glance to the Custom diamond. 
    Thanks, I think I agree.

With this project, I'm quite influenced by 70s Japanese customs - Burny etc. 
    ICBM said:
    DannyP said:

There’s someone here who had a dark cherry one that looks amazing.
    Yes, that's fair enough. I can imagine it looks great.

I'm not into the ones you see in Guitar Kit groups on Facebook. It seems that, given free rein, most people want trans green or purple-burst!  :o
  • abw1989abw1989 Frets: 639
    I'm personally a fan of tobacco burst on a Custom, here is my '84 Burny:

They are gateway drug mind you... I've since acquired an arctic white Gibson Custom too.
    0reaction image LOL 5reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited February 2022
    Alright, alright, but APART from the dark cherry ones and the tobacco-burst ones.......

what have the Romans ever done for us?
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Tailpiece holes? Where we're going, we don't need tailpiece holes...

OK, plugged, filled, sanded and glued.

I went all George's Marvellous Medicine in the kitchen, assembling astringent yellow stuff to age the binding. I ended up with lemon juice, cider vinegar and turmeric.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16716
    edited February 2022
    that might end up day glow yellow.  I would just spray tinted clear. 

The old ones are still nearly white under the lacquer, you can see it at the high wear areas and fretboard face
    edited February 2022
    Ah sure it'll be grand once I've give it a rub! I quite like yellowy binding like you get on ESPs.

I left some weak ferric chloride on the cheapo shiny Bigsby overnight. I need to wipe off the residue.

DannyP said:
    Ah sure it'll be grand once I've give it a rub! I quite like yellowy binding like you get on ESPs.

ah, mustard yellow then.  Even they seem to be white binding with colour sprayed on.  They again have pure white plastic showing on the fretboard face.. It stands out a lot more than on an old LP

WezV said:
    DannyP said:

ah, mustard yellow then.  Even they seem to be white binding with colour sprayed on.  They again have pure white plastic showing on the fretboard face.. It stands out a lot more than on an old LP

Maybe I should have added a dollop of Colemans to the mix!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • elstoofelstoof Frets: 2498
    French’s Yellow surely
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    elstoof said:
    French’s Yellow surely
    I agree.  much more likely to stain things :D