Adding a DC Socket to a Pedal

What's Hot
I have an MXR Phase 45 pedal which is battery only operation. It also does not have an indicator light to show when the pedal is switched on meaning that often it is left on to drain the battery and break the signal chain through my pedal board.
So, I was thinking of adding a 2.1mm x 5.5mm socket to the pedal to let me link it into the mains supply from the board. Is this a straightforward task?
I was thinking that by connecting the socket to the existing battery connector contacts on the circuit board of the pedal (and fitting to the case, etc) would do the job? Or is there more to it than that?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom

• Nope! Now wouldn't that be a hell of a lot easier! Thank you for that.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 8077
    edited February 2022
    I did this with my phase 45 and added an led on the side of the case at the same time.

Internal pics

https://imgur.com/a/L6lmDea
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I did this with my phase 45 and added an led on the side of the case at the same time.

Internal pics

Thanks. That looks pretty neat. Do you have a diagram or can you talk through what connections you made? I have ordered the cable mentioned above, but I may still try the fixed option you have here.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30206
    Erskine said:

It also does not have an indicator light to show when the pedal is switched on meaning that often it is left on to drain the battery and break the signal chain through my pedal board.
    It'll be on constantly - the footswitch connects and disconnects the circuit from the signal chain, it doesn't power the circuit on and off.

I second the battery clip adaptor plan. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Erskine said:
    I did this with my phase 45 and added an led on the side of the case at the same time.

Internal pics

Thanks. That looks pretty neat. Do you have a diagram or can you talk through what connections you made? I have ordered the cable mentioned above, but I may still try the fixed option you have here.
    Lots online eg just establish in and outs of board based on the in/out jacks. Dc jacks are a bit more unusual, when inserting a plug it breaks one connection so if you get confused it helps having a multimeter to test continuity and see what connects where from external jack to internal contact.
  • vizviz Frets: 11041
    Erskine said:

Nope! Now wouldn't that be a hell of a lot easier! Thank you for that.
    And you can buy some rigid foam to separate the box from the base by 3mm or so, and some longer screws, so you don’t chop the wire in half. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Erskine said:

Internal pics

Lots online eg just establish in and outs of board based on the in/out jacks. Dc jacks are a bit more unusual, when inserting a plug it breaks one connection so if you get confused it helps having a multimeter to test continuity and see what connects where from external jack to internal contact.

Many thanks for this.
  • Sporky said:
    Erskine said:

It also does not have an indicator light to show when the pedal is switched on meaning that often it is left on to drain the battery and break the signal chain through my pedal board.
    It'll be on constantly - the footswitch connects and disconnects the circuit from the signal chain, it doesn't power the circuit on and off.

I second the battery clip adaptor plan. 

I got one today and connected it up. Sadly, it does not work for some reason. Checked the continuity through it and it seems fine. So, it may be that I need to go down the pedal mod route.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 30206
    Awful patronising question - sorry - did you get 9v and ground the right way around?
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Sporky said:
    Awful patronising question - sorry - did you get 9v and ground the right way around?

Not at all....... I am a complete rooky at this stuff but am happy to learn and try.

It was a 9V adaptor cable and was sold as suitable for pedals. The connectors only 'mate' together one way.
  • ErskineErskine Frets: 6
    Back to this once more...........

Having managed to get a connector but finding that it does not work, I suspect that the polarity on the connector is wrong. I have checked this with a mutlimeter and it appears to be centre pin positive. I am thinking this should be negative on an MXR, but can anyone confirm this?
  • tanihhiavlttanihhiavlt Frets: 659
    Quick scan on ebay shows some MXR are negative centre - 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/265570140576?hash=item3dd536c1a0:g:914AAOSwlgRiB5YA

It could be the adaptor is for a fuzz pedal that has a positive ground? They're often wired the other way around.

• Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    Erskine said:

Having managed to get a connector but finding that it does not work, I suspect that the polarity on the connector is wrong. I have checked this with a mutlimeter and it appears to be centre pin positive. I am thinking this should be negative on an MXR, but can anyone confirm this?
    Yes, the centre pin should be negative. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

It could be the adaptor is for a fuzz pedal that has a positive ground? They're often wired the other way around.

Devil#20 said:
    Erskine said:

Thanks, guys. The adaptor was sold as suitable for all types of pedals, but it certainly does not seem that way.
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 2136
    Erskine said:

Devil#20 said:
    Erskine said:

Thanks, guys. The adaptor was sold as suitable for all types of pedals, but it certainly does not seem that way.
    It is suitable. The polarity is what you make it. You just need to follow the polarity through the circuit. Colours may not necessarily match. That might mean a red wire connecting to white and a white connecting to a red rather than a red to red and a white to white. The polarity will be marked on the board itself. Use a voltmeter to check at the voltage supply end. Push the connector onto the power supply and check which pins are which on the back of the connector first before you solder it in. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

Devil#20 said:
    Erskine said:

Devil#20 said:
    Erskine said:

It is suitable. The polarity is what you make it. You just need to follow the polarity through the circuit. Colours may not necessarily match. That might mean a red wire connecting to white and a white connecting to a red rather than a red to red and a white to white. The polarity will be marked on the board itself. Use a voltmeter to check at the voltage supply end. Push the connector onto the power supply and check which pins are which on the back of the connector first before you solder it in. 
    Sorry, I think we are talking about different things here.

This is a cable adaptor that clips to the battery clip on the pedal and then to the DC plug at the other end. It is not a socket to be fitted to the pedal itself. It is already made up. If that makes sense? I would post a pic but I don't have a hosting option just now.

This type of thing:

• thermionicthermionic Frets: 10019
    Diago seem to have gone bust, but look for the PS06 on amazon - someone has asked the polarity question and a reply says that it is centre positive.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834
    I posted in a thread on lockdown pedal building, with a similar problem, I tried to use an external battery box to supply power, and found that the polarity was reversed. This led me to find out that 2 of my previously built projects had their dc sockets wired incorrectly.
    It is a good thread for anyone interested in building pedals.
  • andy_kandy_k Frets: 834