Marillion - An Hour Before its Dark

What's Hot
thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2960
Released a couple of weeks ago I've been listening to little else since.  Full of great melodies, fantastic guitar solos and some heart rending lyrics. Its also grabbed some great reviews from the media.

Anyone else here given it a listen?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• yeah, bought tickets for the next tour..

some decent stuff on there, all growers as usual.. 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I've had a difficult relationship with Marillion.

The Fish era was the musical love affair of my life. The Hogarth era just hasn't been that good for me. I own 8 albums from the second 'period', and none of them move me. The only track post-Fish that I think is brilliant is Easter.

I really wanted to still love the band, but the musical style changed and it just wasn't what rocked me any more. I thought I was done with them but then there was tons of hype over F.E.A.R. being brilliant, so I bought it. It was yet another 'OK' album that didn't excite me. So yeah, lots of hype around the new one but I think I will resist buying. I'm a massive prog fan and there are bands that I find a lot more interesting and inspiring - Pendragon, Lifesigns and Big Big Train to name three.

I'm sure it's a good album, and I always wish the band success, but they don't play music that moves me. I'd be way more interested in another Steve Rothery solo album, the last one was superb.

And for the record, I didn't find Fish's solo career interesting either! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Released a couple of weeks ago I've been listening to little else since.  Full of great melodies, fantastic guitar solos and some heart rending lyrics. Its also grabbed some great reviews from the media.

Anyone else here given it a listen?

I was just thinking of posting something like this.

I wasn't sure at first but now I have to listen to it every day...takes a while to open up...fantastic album again!
  • FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Not yet. I bought "With Friends from The Orchestra" on vinyl recently and was surprised how on top form and create that album is.

They really are fabulous musically, albeit sometimes a little too earnest lyrically. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4177
    edited March 2022
    axisus said:

The Fish era was the musical love affair of my life. The Hogarth era just hasn't been that good for me. I own 8 albums from the second 'period', and none of them move me. The only track post-Fish that I think is brilliant is Easter.

I really wanted to still love the band, but the musical style changed and it just wasn't what rocked me any more. I thought I was done with them but then there was tons of hype over F.E.A.R. being brilliant, so I bought it. It was yet another 'OK' album that didn't excite me. So yeah, lots of hype around the new one but I think I will resist buying. I'm a massive prog fan and there are bands that I find a lot more interesting and inspiring - Pendragon, Lifesigns and Big Big Train to name three.

I'm sure it's a good album, and I always wish the band success, but they don't play music that moves me. I'd be way more interested in another Steve Rothery solo album, the last one was superb.

I was the other way around. Never particularly liked the Fish era. But Brave is one of my all time favourite albums. 

I'd love a new Rothery album, Ghosts of Pripyat is amazing. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Signed vinyl, baby!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2960
    Signed vinyl, baby!

I went for the deluxe CD/ DVD signed edition.   Good choice

UK weekend and tickets for Brighton in September for me

• KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19543
    Signed vinyl, baby!

Cool, but does being square & without a spindle hole not cause issues with your deck  B)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalkettledigitalkettle Frets: 3377
    edited March 2022
    Cool, but does being square & without a spindle hole not cause issues with your deck  B

I'm glad I figured it out and removed the record before putting it in the frame
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23844
    I'd love a new Rothery album, Ghosts of Pripyat is amazing. 
    I didn't realise that was about Chernobyl.  It felt a bit weird reading about it just now.
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 444
    I received it this week but haven't given it a spin yet. Mark Kelly's Marathon album last year was a pleasant surprise, it really is very good indeed, lyrically and musically. 

Enjoyed FEAR and years ago Afraid of Sunlight rekindled my interest in the band.

I enjoyed Ghosts of Pripyat very much.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • JohnCordyJohnCordy Frets: 651
    My wife is on that album in the choir!
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    JohnCordy said:
    That is very cool.  

• JohnCordy said:
    That is very cool.  
    Yeah...the choir and various BV moments really add something!

• UK weekend and tickets for Brighton in September for me
    Just got tickets for Sheffield ;)

Tonight! Anyone seeing/seen them on this tour?
  • PjonPjon Frets: 314
    axisus said:

This is me, as well.

I've tried and tried to enjoy post-Fish Marillion but really struggle. I think it was last year, one of the prog magazines had a best-ever-prog list and both Marillions popped up everywhere on it, so I listened to those newer tracks but found it all a bit boring and samey. I listened to the last album in full, but didn't enjoy. I think there is a lack of energy and not the same lyrical playfulness that Fish could add.

I haven't seen them live since Fish left, but have seen him a few times when he's played locally. (I'd probably watch Marillion if they were very local, tbh.) I normally bump into exactly the same people at every Fish gig and the crowd dwindles every time. I always feel a bit sad - this is a band that played to 10s of thousands but now their most influential ex-member struggles to get a hundred people into an old church hall. But, having said previously that Fish could bring a lyrical playfulness, I thought that Weltschmerz was almost unlistenable in its gloominess!

Anyway, this waffling feels a little like therapy - must put Fugazi on when I get home. :D 

Tonight! Anyone seeing/seen them on this tour?
    Saw them at blackburn, very enjoyable. 
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

• I’m in Brighton now.  Gig tomorrow.   

You have to remember that Fish left over 30 years ago.  It’s not the same band. They have evolved

Fish isn’t fish anymore and he will readily admit that. 

I like hogarths take on the world, Steve Rothery still plays with a past that few can match and the whole band still make music that is relevant and new. If it’s not for you fair play.  Go watch macca or jagger or Gilmore knocking out the same stuff year after year.