'Tired' LP Studio refin - Finished

What's Hot

Comments

• eSullyeSully Frets: 981
    You've done an absolutely amazing job with that, really stunning. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    Painted-on binding looks cheap and nasty no matter how well it’s done, don’t even think about it. ‘Faux’ binding is the best of the lot, better than plastic unless you’re going for an accurate vintage look.

I would still have preferred a goldtop, personally! But you’ve done such a great job of the burst that it’s forgiveable :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DeadmanDeadman Frets: 4159
    If I don’t love it when it’s reassembled, the gold will be coming out, that’s a certainty  ;)

Cheers for the ongoing positivity gents, the lacquer is on and the thing is hanging until it’s good and ready for polishing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28442
    Deadman said:
    If I don’t love it when it’s reassembled, I'll be selling this stunning looking guitar, it at a ridiculously cheap price to @TTony ;
    I know what you meant to say.
    ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Finally got it all polished up and put back together. The only change I intend to make is a subtle one (inspired by Stickyfiddle); an amber switch tip which is on its way to me.

The board cleaned up nicely. I used plain old green mineral oil to condition it, because I have gallons of the stuff. I also micromeshed the frets.

Did I enjoy doing it? Yes, I think I did. I’m going to play it, hope to enjoy it and hope to bond with it, but we’ll see how it goes…

0reaction image LOL 19reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 5051
    That's a superb piece of work.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • S56035S56035 Frets: 1442
    That is so gorgeous. Well done.
  • euaneuan Frets: 1942
    When a genuinely glassy appears you can tell. Great work.
  • Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3129
    Top class.  Utterly splendid.
  • AK99AK99 Frets: 1738
    That binding edge treatment looks perfect. Gorgeous guitar Deadman.

(And the amber switch-tip call is 100% too :) )
    Thank you gents, very kind words. It’s my birthday on Monday and I have a new positive grid spark to plug it into courtesy of my darling wife so looking forward to that. Cheers and Happy Good Friday to you all.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74475
    That looks absolutely brilliant, and I’m not even a fan of sunburst Les Pauls normally. It’s the black plastics which make it - don’t be tempted by cream, the black makes it look much more modern and not trying to be just another “burst” replica. An amber switch tip is probably forgiveable ;).

Nil points for top-wrapping the tailpiece though :(.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GoFishGoFish Frets: 1780
    Happy Birthday to you, that is some beautiful work on the guitar!
    Ten years too late and still getting it wrong
    edited April 2022
    ICBM said:
    That looks absolutely brilliant, and I’m not even a fan of sunburst Les Pauls normally. It’s the black plastics which make it - don’t be tempted by cream, the black makes it look much more modern and not trying to be just another “burst” replica. An amber switch tip is probably forgiveable .

Nil points for top-wrapping the tailpiece though .

lol I’ve not owned many guitars with a tailpiece and had to Google how to string it as I’d forgotten. I just went with the first pic I saw, honestly! Sounds really great unplugged mind so it’ll do for now.

Edit: I was always gonna stick with what I had so the black plastics were never a consideration. I think they give this burst a bit of...attitude? If that’s the right word. They’re very firmly staying. Amber switch tip is on now too but I’m on the fence with it right now. Massive decision to make as to whether it stays or not :lol:

GoFish said:
    Happy Birthday to you, that is some beautiful work on the guitar!
    Thanks man.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 28442
    Wow.

Just, Wow.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • normula1normula1 Frets: 662
    Have a wow from me too, what a fabulous looking guitar.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    10/10.

And the added bonus of an unbound neck.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• AK99AK99 Frets: 1738
    Deadman said:

Edit: I was always gonna stick with what I had so the black plastics were never a consideration. I think they give this burst a bit of...attitude? If that’s the right word. They’re very firmly staying. Amber switch tip is on now too but I’m on the fence with it right now. Massive decision to make as to whether it stays or not :lol:

On closer look, the black switch tip does work with the other plastics on the front. If one were being pernickety you'd probably want a 'lighter tone of amber' that would go with the burst shades and the binding.

(^Feel like that sentence should have finished with a 'daahling..  )
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3826
    Decent!