*UPDATE* NVOAD 1969/70 Fender Super Reverb 4X10

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
edited September 2014 in Amps
Well I did it

I've pulled off a deal that essentially means this amp owes me very little indeed! But it needs to be that way as I feel it's gonna cost me loads to get it nice and safe and gigworthy.

Now it's home I've pulled the back off and waded through 43 years of cobwebs and detritus to try and give it a once over. The valves seem to be a right mix of mullards, Phillips, unbranded and even one that's been written on by hand.

I can imagine it's had a recap- nothing looks like it's ever been touched in here but here are a few quick photos to whet the appetite before I head round to the cap tray and try to avoid killing myself

The other thing is the reverb/vibrato footswitch - it's missing and the jacks on the back look odd - not the usual jack plug size - anyone got any ideas on that?

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/jonny73/Mobile Uploads/6CDB0548-29B4-4DD2-B9E4-6A581C41CF4A_zpslnkh6lpx.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/jonny73/Mobile Uploads/28A91854-AD04-449D-8775-AEE34F733A24_zpscriyihzn.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/jonny73/Mobile Uploads/22EFD739-78A9-41C2-BE3D-4B595CE00A99_zps0pbwbqbx.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/jonny73/Mobile Uploads/94CEA95B-0A86-4381-90A5-39FB93B91484_zpsqitjuhsp.jpg

http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/jonny73/Mobile Uploads/0728790F-5D0D-4F75-84E8-1BF8F35C31AC_zpssouitpny.jpg

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Looks cool.  For the reverb/vibrato pedal, does it use the older style plugs like hi-fi interconnects (I've got loads lying around and cannot remember what they are called!)?  I've seen them for sale on the 'bay.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    edited August 2014
    Richardj said:
    Looks cool.  For the reverb/vibrato pedal, does it use the older style plugs like hi-fi interconnects (I've got loads lying around and cannot remember what they are called!)?  I've seen them for sale on the 'bay.
    phono connectors- and yes.

If you buy a modern fender ali/plastic footswtich and go to maplin and get a stereo jack to phono lead connector (£5 or so) it'll do the job neatly

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• ESchapESchap Frets: 1428

If you mean the reverb "jacks"   RCA's are normal for SF Fenders.    Some nice old valves there.   If the Mullard GZ34 is in good shape its worth about £75.  The CV8463 is really unusual.  It's a special gold "lead" version of the CV4024 which is the military version of the ECC81 or 12AT7 i.e. the Phase inverter ...   B-)

Lovely old amp, really envious!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    Nice Sylvania and RCA 12AX7s…

You probably want to start by cleaning everything you can see with a hoover and a soft brush - take the front grille off as well and make sure you clean the fronts of the speaker cones, the build-up of dust on them really deadens the tone.

The broken ground switch is not an issue, in Export model amps it's just used as a terminal point for the power cable, the centre terminal should be unconnected. More important is what's inside the chassis and in the cap tray. Don't worry about killing yourself - like all Fenders larger than the Deluxe Reverb, you discharge the caps simply by turning the power off with the standby still on (as in 'play').

I think Fender sell the correct footswitch with phono plugs on it still.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• gubblegubble Frets: 1826

Whoa that needs a NSFW warning.

Hope you get to use it in anger at some point soon

I'm very jealous

• GassageGassage Frets: 31591
    Re correct footswitch- when I had my SF Twin I used the modern version on account of LED's- but kept the old one to keep amp as a complete amp.

Worth considering.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1680
    ICBM said:
    You probably want to start by cleaning everything you can see with a hoover and a soft brush - take the front grille off as well and make sure you clean the fronts of the speaker cones, the build-up of dust on them really deadens the tone.

That amp has the blackface style baffle, no removable grill. To get at the cones the speakers will need to be removed.

It's a very cool amp. Congrats.

Rob.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    bastard...that is all
    :P

very envious mate, in fact, your ramblings about this amp re-kindled my interest in something old/Fender
  • RichardjRichardj Frets: 1538
    Gassage said:
    Richardj said:
    phono connectors- and yes.

If you buy a modern fender ali/plastic footswtich and go to maplin and get a stereo jack to phono lead connector (£5 or so) it'll do the job neatly
    Durrrr. Yes, phono plugs, that's what I meant, obviously. Less wine at lunchtime! I have found gentle baby wipes and a dry cloth to polish with afterwards really good for a deep clean without harsh chemicals (probably be shot down for that!). Waiting for a report on how epic it sounds and whether it can destroy small buildings etc.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3847
    Let's see the front! 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ossyrocks said:

That amp has the blackface style baffle, no removable grill. To get at the cones the speakers will need to be removed.
    You're right. Bugger!

It still needs doing though, so you have no option but to try to undo the nuts and hope the rust is not stronger than the particle board...

Put a drop of WD40 or penetrating oil on each one and leave it to soak in a bit before you try to turn the nuts. Don't overdo it and wet the baffle though.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That sounds scary

Cranked it up to about 3 in my garage - wow. SO MUCH BASS!! And what a smell! The smell of slowly warming cobwebs!

Just bunged a "tubescreamer" in front of it and it's amazing

Won't really be able to give a full appraisal until tomorrow's gigs. Where, because my supersonic is still being fixed, the SR will be my only amp

Eeeeeek!
  • Phwoar.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1836
    ffs, run a circuit breaker if you are gigging it fresh...just in case.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • welshboyo;336218" said:
    ffs, run a circuit breaker if you are gigging it fresh...just in case.....
    Always use them bud - 'speshally with this bad boy

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 2774
    I think that looks fantastic!    How does it sound?        I think you might want some wheels or  trolley to go with it though ;-)  :)
  • It's not as heavy as it looks mate - no heaver than an AC30 really.

It sounds magical!
    [Strictly in my opinion] You're unwise to gig a just-acquired old amp, even with a circuit breaker, until it's been properly inspected inside and bench tested. There is a lot that could be wrong which could have expensive and originality-destroying consequences if you don't notice quick enough to shut it off, and even if it appears to be working OK now and sounding good. [/Opinion]

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • bandmaster188bandmaster188 Frets: 401
    edited August 2014
    The Swamp City Shakers