*UPDATE* NVOAD 1969/70 Fender Super Reverb 4X10

What's Hot
13»

Comments

• jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    57Deluxe said:
    All the Supers are extremely sensitive to a poor or low grade valve in the tremolo position which can give all sorts of noise in the open circuit. Try swapping that first.
    ??

Do you mean the tremolo oscillator?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jpfamps said:
    57Deluxe said:
    All the Supers are extremely sensitive to a poor or low grade valve in the tremolo position which can give all sorts of noise in the open circuit. Try swapping that first.
    ??

I have always found with any old fenders get a good preamp valve, but for most of the other preamp valves phase inverter, reverb etc a working valve was fine.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    jpfamps said:
    57Deluxe said:
    ??

no - I mean the valve...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    jpfamps said:
    57Deluxe said:
    ??

no - I mean the valve...
    The tremolo oscillator is a valve.
  • TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1849
    edited September 2014
    Update

So it's been at my tech for a week or so and he phoned me for a brief update yesterday

The transformers work but are rusty and nasty on the outside, valves all seem ok but they haven't been individually tested yet

It's been partially recapped a very long time ago but with the wrong value (400 instead of 500??) so he's suggested that he recaps it properly with something age appropriate. There was something else and I can't remember !!

Plate and screen grid resistors too

The drivers are old and tired but functional but he is of the train of thought to take them out and stick some Jensen reissues in until such time as I wish to sell it. He said he wouldn't normally recommend that but because of the age and if I were to gig it regularly one could give up

So all in about £130-160 to get it up to speed bar any hidden surprises
  • @travisthedog sounds reasonable to me. still awaiting some clips of this.. missed out on a RI on the bay last week
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 74497
    It's been partially recapped a very long time ago but with the wrong value (400 instead of 500??) so he's suggested that he recaps it properly with something age appropriate.
    I *strongly* suggest that he does not re-cap it with something age-appropriate! Old electrolytics should never be used - not even NOS ones, since they degrade in storage. New ones are the only sensible choice unless you want to risk it blowing up, which defeats the whole point.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ICBM said:
    It's been partially recapped a very long time ago but with the wrong value (400 instead of 500??) so he's suggested that he recaps it properly with something age appropriate.
    I *strongly* suggest that he does not re-cap it with something age-appropriate! Old electrolytics should never be used - not even NOS ones, since they degrade in storage. New ones are the only sensible choice unless you want to risk it blowing up, which defeats the whole point.

I agree, get new modern caps from TAD or other suppliers, it's not a difficult job, but definitely worth doing, also the resistors above power valves (forgot name) which often deteriorate due to heat, I have always gone upto a 1/2 or 1 w here.
    Too often people buy vintage amps without realising how much work they can be, but get a good one and the rewards can be great as well. 
    I agree, get new modern caps from TAD or other suppliers, it's not a difficult job, but definitely worth doing, also the resistors above power valves (forgot name) which often deteriorate due to heat, I have always gone upto a 1/2 or 1 w here.
    I always replace the typical 2W carbon screen resistors with 3W or 5W (if there's room) wirewounds - they tolerate overloading if a valve shorts much better, usually long enough for the fuse to blow even if there is no HT fuse. Actually fitting an HT fuse is a very good idea too. You can use the ground switch hole if you want it accessible but not to drill a new hole.

Grid stopper resistors don't need to be increased in power rating - 1/2W is plenty - but carbon film or metal film are better since they don't suffer from heat cracking like the original carbon-comps do, which can leave the valve with no bias.

I do think there are places in the amp where using the original-type components matters for tone reasons (plate resistors are one), but by and large it's better to use more robust modern ones. It doesn't affect the tone but it does improve reliability.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @icbm

He means new caps -just good ones mate

I wouldn't want old shit in there!
  • jpfampsjpfamps Frets: 2755
    I personally wouldn't change the speakers unless they were damaged.

They are good quality units, and I've seen plenty of Supers of this vintage and earlier with the drivers still going strong.

However, if you do change them, I would avoid the Jensen RIs, as, in my opinion, they don't sound very good.
    jpfamps said:
    I personally wouldn't change the speakers unless they were damaged.

They are good quality units, and I've seen plenty of Supers of this vintage and earlier with the drivers still going strong.
    Nor me. They're made to be used. It doesn't do any good to "preserve" the originals if you're not getting the benefit of them. The amp is already not in collector condition anyway, so if at some point one of them does blow, cross that bridge when you come to it.

• Yeah - fair points all
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7406
    ...did you tell us how much you paid for it in the deal???
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
  • Beautiful amp - the sound Matt Schofield gets out of his '64 Super on his first album 'The Trio Live' is just beyond words.

Best of luck with it!
    Seemed like a good idea.....