Quick Mutron Phasor build

What's Hot
PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
edited March 2022 in Making & Modding
Managed to get hold of a pcb that will fit in a 1590B box and knocked up a mutron ii phasor clone while
waiting for parts for the next guitar build.  Just some wiring hook up to do to finish it off.  
Looking forward to hearing how it sounds.  Had never come across the mutron until I saw Tom Bukovac’s video featuring one.  

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    edited March 2022
    Wow that's cool. Where did the PCB cone from? What ICs are those?

Edit: nm found this https://www.pedalpcb.com/product/phaseii/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    Ooh that looks fun!
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Almost the same pcb @roberty.  I bought mine through etsy from someone in the US.   ICs are TL072s and a TC1044 for the power supply charge pump.     Soldering up tonight !   
    @Keefy - not as much fun as a Trainwreck build though !  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Nice one @PeteC definitely a lot of circuit squashed in there
    True !    I have the plans for a larger board which i will etch for a second build sometime, but i need to finish a couple of guitars first though.  
    I’m putting this on my project list. I picked up an oversize cast aluminium enclosure from Maplin when they were closing down but never found the right project to put in it. The extra room will allow me to fit in extra stuff eg:
    - switch for 2, 4, or 6 stages,
    - socket for an expression pedal to control rate, and/or
    - second rate knob and foot switch to select between them.

I presume the total cost of purchasing the PCB from America will be well below the import tax and VAT thresholds?

I haven’t built a phaser since 1980!

@Keefy MusikDing in Germany sell PedalPCB stuff but only as kits as far as I can tell. I've used them a few times and have never been stung by import taxes or customs weirdness. You can order the kit without an enclosure if you have your own https://www.musikding.de/Phase-II-kit
    roberty said:
    @Keefy MusikDing in Germany sell PedalPCB stuff but only as kits as far as I can tell. I've used them a few times and have never been stung by import taxes or customs weirdness. You can order the kit without an enclosure if you have your own https://www.musikding.de/Phase-II-kit

Thanks @roberty ;, I think it will depend on how many of the components I already have.
    Here it is wired and ready to rumble….
    https://i.imgur.com/eY6crcp.jpg 

0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    PeteC said:
    Here it is wired and ready to rumble….
    https://i.imgur.com/eY6crcp.jpg 

Nicely done @PeteC !

I'm looking at the schematic and thinking of ways to implement a mix control or a kill-dry switch to get vibe. Hmmm...
    edited March 2022
    I have read comments, over on the Madbean forum i think, about such a mod which suggested it wasnt really worth it tbh 
    PeteC said:
    I have read comments, over on the Madbean forum i think, about such a mod which suggested it wasnt really worth it tbh 
    Thanks, that’s good to know. There are some great vibe sounds on the ThorpyFX Pulse Doppler, but not with the Fender Lost Highway I owned.
    If you fancy a DIY vibe circuit then have a bash at the Harbinger or the ForumVibe - I've built a couple and they are great vibe clones. 
    You'll be able to find the details via google search. 

Like this Mu-tron clone a lot. I only had a DPDT footswitch to hand and need to use a 3PDT to be able to switch the dual LED in, but in the meantime it sounds great anyway.  Lots of frequency sweep and a very good slow phaser, unlike many when used at their slowest rate.  

(I can't stand fast warbly phasers and just about every bloody demo on YT has some buffoon with the rate all the way up when they demo phasers ! ) 
    PeteC said:
    If you fancy a DIY vibe circuit then have a bash at the Harbinger or the ForumVibe - I've built a couple and they are great vibe clones. 
    You'll be able to find the details via google search. 

Like this Mu-tron clone a lot. I only had a DPDT footswitch to hand and need to use a 3PDT to be able to switch the dual LED in, but in the meantime it sounds great anyway.  Lots of frequency sweep and a very good slow phaser, unlike many when used at their slowest rate.  

(I can't stand fast warbly phasers and just about every bloody demo on YT has some buffoon with the rate all the way up when they demo phasers ! ) 
    Not hell-bent on the vibe option, just thought it would be worth looking at.

My pet hate is excessive depth and resonance where you hear more effect than guitar. I use a fast setting on my Pulse Doppler to mimic a rotary speaker.
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    What's the bare wire into the blue sleeve for?
    It’s just there to shield the input signal - probably not needed tbh. 
    Spent more time playing this today.   I think it lives up to the hype easily.  It’s a great phaser and well worth the effort.  Super slow sweep with tons of harmonic content - right through to vicious wobble.   Sounds great on slow sweep with plenty of feedback, but careful balance of the depth control.  Very musical indeed.    
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    I checked out some YouTube videos and it did sound good. I thought the reissue III sounded unpleasantly metallic though. 
    In one of Tom Bukovac’s videos on YT he talks about the MuTron (and the Phase 90 i think) and why he rates it. 

I might have a spare Forumvibe pcb kicking about somewhere if its any use to you - i will take a look.  
    Just ordered the kit from Musikding. I included the enclosure plus a bigger one in case I want to add extra switches, plus their prices are very good!
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom