Quick Mutron Phasor build

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Good Luck with it - I think its my fav Phaser.   Definitely a keeper. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KeefyKeefy Frets: 2473
    Looking at the schematic and the PCB it would be quite awkward to break into it to make a 2/4/6 stage selector switch and there’s no guarantee that the options would be worthwhile. I’m still up for making the speed accessible via an expression pedal and/or a fast/slow switch though. Looking at @PeteC’s photos there’s no way I can fit a full-size stereo jack socket or a second foot switch into the smaller enclosure so I’ll go for the larger one, although I will also look into the ‘top-mounted’ jack options . And yes, I spend Christmas Eve thinking about stuff like this.
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10932
    How's the build going @Keefy? I got a cheap breadboard from Amazon to experiment with circuit mods, that could be an option to experiment without committing any solder

I got a SMD Maestro phaser PCB from Guitar Mania with the SMD components pre-soldered. Seems like a good compromise. Nowt wrong with a bit of production efficiency :-)
    roberty said:
    How's the build going @Keefy? I got a cheap breadboard from Amazon to experiment with circuit mods, that could be an option to experiment without committing any solder

I got a SMD Maestro phaser PCB from Guitar Mania with the SMD components pre-soldered. Seems like a good compromise. Nowt wrong with a bit of production efficiency :-)
    Haven’t started yet, I have a breadboard but this circuit is way past what I’d prototype on it!

There are over 200 solder joints to make, just to populate the board - I'm about 3/4 through that part. Also got some lovely paint for the enclosure...
    The PCB is complete and I’ve worked out how everything will fit in the standard size box. If I move the foot switch to one side I can fit in a stereo socket to accommodate an expression pedal that would override the Rate control when it’s plugged in. I’m slightly concerned that the sleeve connection, which goes to the case of the expression pedal, doesn’t go to ground on the phaser pedal but to a resistor that sets the minimum rate. I don’t think it would cause any problems but I’m wondering how much I would use an expression pedal - it would save me some time and effort if I skipped it. I think I’ll give it a quick try tonight anyway.
    All completed and fully working, including the option to control the rate with an expression pedal. This is a lovely smooth-sounding phaser and I'm very glad I built it. I may still shorten the screened cables that carry the control signal to and from expression pedal socket.

Mrs Keefy doesn't like the white knobs though, she reckons they look too 'old school'. Any suggestions for a different colour to complement the rose gold finish?

0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • PeteCPeteC Frets: 500
    Nice - enjoy the cool mutron sounds ! 
    PeteC said:
    Nice - enjoy the cool mutron sounds ! 
    I certainly am - there’s hardly a bad sound to be had from this gadget. I normally don’t like the Feedback up too far on a phaser but this sounds so rich and chewy. There is a bit of clock breakthrough (ticking) when engaged but not if there’s another pedal between guitar and phaser.

Both the trim-pots that govern the brightness range of the LED are still set at their middle positions  - I’ve yet to try tweaking them.