Band T Shirt poseurs

What's Hot
jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12505
Once upon a time I was in Eccles and saw a young student type in a Mothers of Invention Freak Out T Shirt, I got excited thinking wow a fellow freak so I attempted to engage the kid in conversation about Zappa, he didn't have a clue what or who I was talking about, bloody poseurs eh?
"OUR TOSSPOT"
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24204
    As mentioned in another recent thread, aged approx 17 I had a Grateful Dead T-shirt just because I liked the picture... 

To be honest, I think it's pretty cool that anybody has a Mothers of Invention T-shirt.  But that's hypocritical of me because I'm quite contemptuous of Kardashian/Jenner types going around in Slayer or Ramones shirts.  I can't really explain myself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9920
    Philly_Q said:
     I'm quite contemptuous of Kardashian/Jenner types going around in Slayer or Ramones shirts
    The Ramones probably sold more tee shirts than they ever sold tickets or albums.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 7reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29408
    If he didn't know they were a band he can't be a poser, surely? He must just have liked the shirt. 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Remind me to reread my Che Guevara
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    He just liked the shirt. So what?

I bet the OP wears Harley Davidson shirts but can’t name any of his songs.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

24reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25050
    edited March 2022
    Philly_Q said:
    As mentioned in another recent thread, aged approx 17 I had a Grateful Dead T-shirt just because I liked the picture... 

To be honest, I think it's pretty cool that anybody has a Mothers of Invention T-shirt.  But that's hypocritical of me because I'm quite contemptuous of Kardashian/Jenner types going around in Slayer or Ramones shirts.  I can't really explain myself.

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12505
    And I'm always saying how great Harley Benton are when I've never had one of their pies.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    16reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 7131
    I’ve got a Fat Face T-shirt and I don’t like fat faces, am I a hypocrite as well?
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SporkySporky Frets: 29408
    I have herringbone trousers, and I'm not any sort of fish! 
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BellycasterBellycaster Frets: 5883
    And I'm always saying how great Harley Benton are when I've never had one of their pies.
    Nah, they make Motorbikes, silly.
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2897
    I was on holiday in Spain, quite a quiet part and this chap came up and started speaking to me in a foreign language which is presumed was Spanish or a dialect of it.

Turned out that he was a geordie and it was my “fashionable” Grandad-shirt-collared Newcastle United football shirt I had on that had attracted him to me, even though I’m from down south.  
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13581
    no comment

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434
    edited March 2022
    I think it’s fine to speak to someone who has a band t shirt that you like. You’re just trying to connect with someone over something you (may) both love. 

The issue becomes when people gatekeep that band, like someone once asked me if I could name 3 songs from the band of the t shirt I was wearing. I looked at him and rattled off the entire listing of the album and told him to get lost. 

It is a bit annoying that awesome bands get trivialised and demeaned into a £5 t shirt that people wear and you know they wouldn’t even like the band if they heard them, but ultimately they’re just wearing a t shirt and if they don’t know them I’d say oh no worries just don’t see many fans about, and leave it at that. 

Last year I cycled past someone with a Dead Kennedys t shirt and I shouted ‘HOLIDAY IN CAMBODIA YEAAAA’ at him and he looked absolutely delighted. I think I made his day. And someone once said ‘cool band’ at my Sonic Youth t shirt and that made my day, so I do think that someone acknowledging your t shirt is a really cool thing to do in general. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141
    I ordered a Semisonic t-shirt last week. I do know their songs but I would've considered buying it even if I didn't because it's a great shirt.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16550
    I was at Tesco petrol station in Skipton and a man in a white van asked me if I had a Fender. My brain went WTF then realised I had a Fender t shirt on. He explained that he's a Gibson guy and runs a jam night in Skipton. So I was that poseur although I do own a Fender and hello to someone on here if you run that jam night; my apologies that I was a bit confused at the time! 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeleMasterTeleMaster Frets: 10434
    I ordered a Semisonic t-shirt last week. I do know their songs but I would've considered buying it even if I didn't because it's a great shirt.

Don’t listen to their songs. You might send it back. :lol: 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 28141

Don’t listen to their songs. You might send it back. :lol: 
    Haha :)

I knew someone would say something. Feeling Strangely Fine is a 90s college rock classic and I won't have a word said against it :P 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1374
    I have a couple of T shirts with some of Charles Darwin’s writings on them, and one with a dinosaur. I’m sad that I haven’t seen, or had either speak to me.  ;)
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 24204
    Last year I cycled past someone with a Dead Kennedys t shirt and I shouted ‘HOLIDAY IN CAMBODIA YEAAAA’ at him and he looked absolutely delighted. I think I made his day. And someone once said ‘cool band’ at my Sonic Youth t shirt and that made my day, so I do think that someone acknowledging your t shirt is a really cool thing to do in general. 
    Last year a homeless guy said my UFO-era Michael Schenker T-shirt was cool and I was oddly pleased.  Didn't give him any money though...
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KittyfriskKittyfrisk Frets: 19797
    sev112 said:
    I was on holiday in Spain, quite a quiet part and this chap came up and started speaking to me in a foreign language which is presumed was Spanish or a dialect of it.

Turned out that he was a geordie and it was my “fashionable” Grandad-shirt-collared Newcastle United football shirt I had on that had attracted him to me, even though I’m from down south.  
    Cultural appropriation too? Shameless  ;)