Thinking about buying a casette tape recorder.

What's Hot
Claude_RuelleClaude_Ruelle Frets: 16
edited March 2022 in Studio & Recording
Hi folks,

So for a while, I've been thinking about buying a cassette tape recorder in order to record demos and ideas at home.

I own modern recording gear but I always thought that going back to this old school way of doing home recordings would be fun creatively. I also really like the idea of not needing a computer and DAW to record.

I was looking into this one, but I honestly have zero knowledge about that type of gear. Does anybody here have experience with it? Are there any good brands/models you could recommend?

Thanks,
Claude
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Both good machines. I've recently gone back to a dawless set up with a Tascam 246 and I don't miss digital at all.
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
  • Did you find some benefits of going dawless? Maybe creatively or in terms of workflow?
  • Yes. I've always believed that limiting your options gives a better result. It forces you to think creativity. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    I'd have thought something like a zoom R8 might be better option - the simplificity of a tape machine but without the trouble of the tape itself.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • That could be a good idea but it's almost too digital for me. I really want to go as analog as possible.
  • martmart Frets: 5205
    Fair enough - whatever inspires your creative juices to flow is worth pursuing.
  • There are always Tascam 244's available at reasonable prices. Easy resale too if it's not for you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • AlbertCAlbertC Frets: 972
    I bought a Tascam 424 earlier this year but it was the mk1 version.
    When it arrived it had an earthing problem -  a nasty hum. Not an uncommon issue, so I found out later. I ended up sending it back to the seller.
    Maybe the MK3 version is better more reliable though.

• SupportactSupportact Frets: 1104
    I use a 4 track for recording sometimes, I haven't used the model you mentioned so can't comment on that. I use a Tascam porta07, which is not the most advanced model, but it's served me very well. 

The weak point on mine is the channel preamps, which understandably are not amazing (unless you are going for that lo-fi kind of sound in which case they're great). If you use an outboard preamp before going into the recorder that will really improve things. Last time I borrowed two 500 series preamps (API clones I think) and it worked very well. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28355
    I loved my old Tascam (424 I think). I wqs definitely at my most creative back then with that thing. I still have it in the loft, although it hasn't seen the light of day for over 20 years now. Fun times!
  • Thanks for all the suggestions. The Tascam 244 looks interesting
  • JfingersJfingers Frets: 410
    I love my Yamaha MT4X. I've had it for years, it's in the home studio that I'm setting up, and has been brilliant for my needs.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9780

The weak point on mine is the channel preamps, which understandably are not amazing (unless you are going for that lo-fi kind of sound in which case they're great). If you use an outboard preamp before going into the recorder that will really improve things. Last time I borrowed two 500 series preamps (API clones I think) and it worked very well. 
    At the time we only had crappy microphones as well. Mostly we used a cheap Tandy dynamic but later discovered the Realistic PZM, which was a gamechanger. The lack of phantom power didn’t matter at the time as condenser mikes cost thousands then. I’m sure a £150 condenser and a little desktop pream would give great results. 

I still have my 424 Mk 11 but don’t really use it due to lack of cassettes. Tascam have manufactured some recently butthey were only available in the US when I checked. I recently remastered a load of tracks recorded in the 90s - the simpler tracks sounded really good but the ones which had a lot of bounced tracks were tricky. Drum machine track mixed too low on the bounce usually - some eq and compression helped it cut through the guitars but you can only do so much once you’ve committed 3 parts to one track.
  • TheBigDipperTheBigDipper Frets: 4883
    There's nothing wrong with being limited to a four-track and reducing option paralysis. I'm not so sure that cassettes are really the medium to store them on, though. 

It's weird - I've got GarageBand on an iPad and Logic on a Mac, but the pressure to produce something really good because the software can do anything is somehow limiting and intimidating. I do much of my recording these days in mono on an iPhone. 
  • Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all the replies! So I'm seriously considering the Tascam 424. I've seen some interesting listings on eBay. There are also some cheaper models that don't look too bad and might be a good option to get started and see if I like the process.

What sort of cassette am I supposed to use. Is it regular cassette tapes? Or is there a specific type dedicated to 4-track recording?

• A Tascam 238 is a great option if you want to record 8 tracks to cassette.
  • Hi guys,

Thanks so much for all the replies! So I'm seriously considering the Tascam 424. I've seen some interesting listings on eBay. There are also some cheaper models that don't look too bad and might be a good option to get started and see if I like the process.

What sort of cassette am I supposed to use. Is it regular cassette tapes? Or is there a specific type dedicated to 4-track recording?

Plenty of 244's on Gumtree and you want a type ii cassette. Plenty of used and wiped clean cassettes available that are perfectly good. Expect to pay around £4/5 each, less if you buy bulk.
  • Thanks, I'll look into this.
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9780
    edited March 2022
    You’ll need Type II cassettes, known also as chrome (rather than ferric or metal types). Ideally 60 minute lengrhs, as C90s tend to use slightly thinner tape (although I can’t confirm this, it was accepted widom at the time). A mechanism that runs at double speed will give better sound quality, although that will only give you 15 minutes with a C60! I used TDK SA60s when I could. 
  • MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3726
    You'll also need a degassuser to clean the head as well as isopropyl alcohol.  C60 cassettes (type ii) are recommended as has been said but they became harder to find back in the day.  If you find a machine it really needs to be checked over by someone who knows what they're doing or you could end up with something that just mangles tapes.

I cut my teeth on 4 track tape (Tascam 246 Portastudio) before moving up to Sansui 6 track cassette and then onto 1/4" Reel to Reel.  What I miss most about tape is.....................................................

Absolutely fuck all.