SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: Gretsch Stephen Stern Masterbuilt 6118TCST

What's Hot
DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
edited July 2022 in Guitars £
Here's a beautiful Stephen Stern Masterbuilt 6118TCST.  The build quality is as you'd expect, it's put together beautifully, but I've also recently bought a 1952 Gibson ES-350, complete with Bigsby, and that does the big old rock and roll, jazz, blues etc that I bought this for. I think P90's must be my holy grail really. Big old Gibson archtops and P90's. Phwooar. 

The same model as this (not the same guitar) was on the forum for considerably less money a few months ago, but that was really low-priced, and it won't appear at that price again! I think this is reasonable at £3,499 but let me know if I'm wrong. I can see one available on Reverb at the moment, and that's for the vague sum of £3972.40, plus a bit for yer shipping. It's still a tidy sum of cash of course, so I'll look at cheaper trades - another Gretsch, perhaps a 6120, might do. Or a hollow/semi hollow Gibson with P90's. I dunno. Gretsch case, and COA are with it, of course. It's a really lovely guitar. Nice subtle relicing and aging. Wish I could say the same for me. FFS.

Next is this lovely ES345 that I bought new from Frailers in Runcorn last summer. It hasn't left my house since, much like my mother in law, who is still in the attic. Probably. It's a bit of a swizz to call it an ES-345, because to me, the Varitone is the thing that makes it a 345, but Gibson obviously disagree, so I have to go along with them. Its a posh ES-335, of course - the question was, 'did I think that it was worth £300 more than the plain 335?'. Well, yes, I did, as this was and is very nice to play, when I tried it against the plainer dot 335's in the store. I'm on the trail of a couple of vintage guitars at the moment, so I'm trying to cut down on the number of guitars that I have. I guess I just prefer P90's in general. I did have one of the last Memphis ES-335's, which was fine, but to me was lacking a little character - this one feels much more alive, with what to me feels like a 64-ish neck. Chunky, but not overly so - very comfortable. It's still has the pickguard protective film on it, the Gibson case and all the accessories. It's a thing of beauty. Drop me a PM if you'd like any more info. I'm asking £2299 for it, with is £600 less than I paid, I think.

Last, but definitely not least, is this '59 reissue 2013 ES-330. That's it - chunky neck, lovely aged finish, 2 P90's and it sounds ace. I recently sold a 2018 ES-330, and it was probably a more 'perfect' guitar - it was slicker, somehow, and was almost pristine. This looks and feels older (it's supposed to), but has got that extra something about it. I took it as a part-trade against a vintage ES-330, and haven't done anything to it apart from to play it. Comes complete with case and COA. There's not too much more to say about this, apart from that it's a handsome devil, plays very well, and sounds ace. At the moment it's got flatwounds on (which it had when I got it) and I really like the flatwound effect. Got a satisfying thunk to it, if you know what I mean. Instant 40's/50's jazz, blues and swing. Other types of musical sounds are available though - you might want to change to roundwounds, but these flats are great to try if you're not familiar with them.

The cry goes up 'Steady on, you old perv old chap, I thought you liked your P90's!' Well, I do - I've seen a 1964 ES-125 that I really like, so that's the sort of plan. If it's gone, I shall withdraw this immediately. Madam. Otherwise, give me £2750 of your hard earned money, and I'll be happy. I think that's a reasonable price - I've seen one (with a Bigsby) at one of our bedroom dealer friends recently for hundreds more, but anyway, hopefully that's fair.

Drop me a PM if you're interested - if you want to come and visit, I'm in a village on the edge of Stafford. It's a village that isn't missing it's idiot, I'm happy to report. I normally like to add a little colour to my ads by suggesting 'alternative' meeting places, but it's got to the stage where I'm getting more invitations to meet in public lavatories, notorious dogging spots and deserted parks without actually mentioning the guitars that I'm advertising.  Still, I enjoy the attention, it has to be said and I've made some lovely new friends. I've got lots more pics of the guitars, but here's a few of each for now.

I don't want to post, and I'd prefer bank transfer, if possible. Happy to meet up and/or deliver as long as you're within civilisation, or North Yorkshire - just drop me a line. As ever, I reserve the right to change my mind on any of these guitars in an instant, like the great big old tart that I am.

Gretsch pics below:

Call me Dave.
0reaction image LOL 3reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    Gibson ES-345/335 pics:

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Gibson ES-330 '59RI pics:

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    In case you're wondering, I've given them all names, they play like butter and I'm thinning the herd. :o
    Call me Dave.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8228
    Lovely guitars, DB.

I see you're looking to trade the Gretsch for 'a hollow/semi hollow Gibson with P90's'.

Just wondering whether you fancy trading it for your own 330?
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Hattigol said:
    Lovely guitars, DB.

I see you're looking to trade the Gretsch for 'a hollow/semi hollow Gibson with P90's'.

Just wondering whether you fancy trading it for your own 330?
    I would, but the seller is vile.

Call me Dave.
    6reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4824
    edited April 2022
    Love the ES330 and the 345 which is very very tempting but, as you say, it needs its varitone.

I bought the aforementioned ES330 from DB1 and it’s a fantastic guitar.  He clearly has very good taste and judgement so any of these is going to be very very good.
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
    Thanks @rlw - hope you're well. The 2018 ES-330 that you had from me is a work of art, and just about perfect - very vibrant colours too, which was apparently a bit of a special for 2018. A really lovely guitar. This 59RI is a bit more to wrestle with - wider neck, chunkier frets, but has something about that makes it quite an atmospheric thing to play and hold.

My obsession with P90's continues really - I've just had a play on the Gretsch, and it's such a beautiful guitar, and feels as tight as a drum. No sloppiness anywhere and a beautiful ebony fretboard. It's a sound that I've never really had from anything else.

But the thing that's knocked just about everything off the top - and this really is an acquired taste - is a big old ES-350, which is a bit beaten up missing its pickguard, it's had the fretboard shaved (I suppose to make it more playable some time in the past), a Bigsby retrofitted in the 1960's,  etc. I imagine that most people wouldn't like it, and it's a right old lump. But the playability and the sound of those 70 year old P90's makes me go all unnecessary.

Honestly? If money (to fund more old things with P90's) wasn't an issue, I'd love to keep these three, because they're all beautiful guitars. As you say, a 345 without a Varitone struggles to be a 345 in my book. Sleight of hand by Gibson there, I reckon. Whoever buys it should be it for being a posh (and I think, quite stunning) ES-335.

Until I see you again @rlw - we'll always have Woolley Edge.   :#
    Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    It was a day to remember….
    And that takes some doing, as these days I can’t even remember to put my trousers on. The store detective at the local Co-Op will confirm this.
    Call me Dave.
  • TheMarlinTheMarlin Frets: 8335
    DB1 said:
    I've only just had this beautiful Stephen Stern Masterbuilt 6118TCST. I've come to a possibly too swift conclusion that it's not going to be a long-term partner, although - having had it for a couple of days - it nearly qualifies. The build quality is as you'd expect, it's put together beautifully, but I've also recently bought a 1952 Gibson ES-350, complete with Bigsby, and that does the big old rock and roll, jazz, blues etc that I bought this for. I think P90's must be my holy grail really. Big old Gibson archtops and P90's. Phwooar. 

The same model as this (not the same guitar) was on the forum for considerably less money a few months ago, but that was really low-priced, and it won't appear at that price again! I think this is reasonable at £3,499 but let me know if I'm wrong. I can see one available on Reverb at the moment, and that's for the vague sum of £3972.40, plus a bit for yer shipping. It's still a tidy sum of cash of course, so I'll look at cheaper trades - another Gretsch, perhaps a 6120, might do. Or a hollow/semi hollow Gibson with P90's. I dunno. Gretsch case, and COA are with it, of course. It's a really lovely guitar. Nice subtle relicing and aging. Wish I could say the same for me. FFS.

Next is this lovely ES345 that I bought new from Frailers in Runcorn last summer. It hasn't left my house since, much like my mother in law, who is still in the attic. Probably. It's a bit of a swizz to call it an ES-345, because to me, the Varitone is the thing that makes it a 345, but Gibson obviously disagree, so I have to go along with them. Its a posh ES-335, of course - the question was, 'did I think that it was worth £300 more than the plain 335?'. Well, yes, I did, as this was and is very nice to play, when I tried it against the plainer dot 335's in the store. I'm on the trail of a couple of vintage guitars at the moment, so I'm trying to cut down on the number of guitars that I have. I guess I just prefer P90's in general. I did have one of the last Memphis ES-335's, which was fine, but to me was lacking a little character - this one feels much more alive, with what to me feels like a 64-ish neck. Chunky, but not overly so - very comfortable. It's still has the pickguard protective film on it, the Gibson case and all the accessories. It's a thing of beauty. Drop me a PM if you'd like any more info. I'm asking £2299 for it, with is £600 less than I paid, I think.

Last, but definitely not least, is this '59 reissue 2013 ES-330. That's it - chunky neck, lovely aged finish, 2 P90's and it sounds ace. I recently sold a 2018 ES-330, and it was probably a more 'perfect' guitar - it was slicker, somehow, and was almost pristine. This looks and feels older (it's supposed to), but has got that extra something about it. I took it as a part-trade against a vintage ES-330, and haven't done anything to it apart from to play it. Comes complete with case and COA. There's not too much more to say about this, apart from that it's a handsome devil, plays very well, and sounds ace. At the moment it's got flatwounds on (which it had when I got it) and I really like the flatwound effect. Got a satisfying thunk to it, if you know what I mean. Instant 40's/50's jazz, blues and swing. Other types of musical sounds are available though - you might want to change to roundwounds, but these flats are great to try if you're not familiar with them.

The cry goes up 'Steady on, you old perv old chap, I thought you liked your P90's!' Well, I do - I've seen a 1964 ES-125 that I really like, so that's the sort of plan. If it's gone, I shall withdraw this immediately. Madam. Otherwise, give me £2750 of your hard earned money, and I'll be happy. I think that's a reasonable price - I've seen one (with a Bigsby) at one of our bedroom dealer friends recently for hundreds more, but anyway, hopefully that's fair.

Drop me a PM if you're interested - if you want to come and visit, I'm in a village on the edge of Stafford. It's a village that isn't missing it's idiot, I'm happy to report. I normally like to add a little colour to my ads by suggesting 'alternative' meeting places, but it's got to the stage where I'm getting more invitations to meet in public lavatories, notorious dogging spots and deserted parks without actually mentioning the guitars that I'm advertising.  Still, I enjoy the attention, it has to be said and I've made some lovely new friends. I've got lots more pics of the guitars, but here's a few of each for now.

I don't want to post, and I'd prefer bank transfer, if possible. Happy to meet up and/or deliver as long as you're within civilisation, or North Yorkshire - just drop me a line. As ever, I reserve the right to change my mind on any of these guitars in an instant, like the great big old tart that I am.

Gretsch pics below:

Is that my old Annie?  Lovely guitar, best Gretsch I’ve ever heard. Miss it. 
    edited April 2022
    I don’t know. It’s not the one that was on the forum last year - I think that’s still with a forum member. Was that your old one?
    Call me Dave.
  • AlexOAlexO Frets: 1117
    No it's a different one... I also miss that one and now I'm thinking do I need Dave's... FFS
  • Im looking around for something I could trade! She is a BEAUTY!
  • merlinmerlin Frets: 6884
    edited April 2022
    Im looking around for something I could trade! She is a BEAUTY!
    WOKE ATTACK!

Until you know the correct gender pronoun for a guitar, it is appropriate to refer to them as "they" or "it". 

=) 
    Im looking around for something I could trade! She is a BEAUTY!

Just wondering how silly it is to have two 330s.....

• Now now Humans, be nice. Im quite happy with the way I refer to the instruments that I am a lifelong obsessive over. While the guitar is indeed an inanimate object I am not and therefore the only feelings that could be hurt here are surely mine? 

It is a lovely guitar though, glad we all agree on that
    edited April 2022
    Thanks chaps. I've done it a bit of a disservice in thinking that it might not do what I want, to be honest. I was comparing it to my old ES350 and it's not got as big a sound, pretty obviously, I guess. However, it's got a sound of its own - the Bigsby sounds fantastic with it - a real shimmer and sparkle. I still fancy a nice 6120. Will the GAS ever subside? Not as long as Mrs DB1 is baking her own bread, I suspect. 
    Call me Dave.

Just wondering how silly it is to have two 330s.....

I've had two ES330s at a time before and it hasn't done me any harm. Oh, wait....  :)
    Call me Dave.
    Gretsch on hold for a few days while buyer gets his financial ducks on a row. 
    Call me Dave.
    A little nudge for these beauties. 
    Call me Dave.