SCAMMER WARNING: Due to a spate of recent scam attempts (some successful) recently, if you're doing a deal in the classifieds, ONLY USE PAYPAL GOODS AND SERVICES UNLESS YOU KNOW THAT INDIVIDUAL PERSONALLY. It's really not worth saving a few quid.

Sold: Gretsch Stephen Stern Masterbuilt 6118TCST

What's Hot

Comments

• brucegillbrucegill Frets: 727
    WOW, some beauties here, as always. Dave's a pleasure to deal with too. I'm not into Gretsch, but that Stephen Stern Masterbuilt is lovely. Trying not to look at the 330 too.....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5031
    edited April 2022
    Well, the financial ducks didn't line up in a row, but it hasn't driven me quackers, far from it.

So... the Gretsch is still here and nominally for sale, although the past few days have given me a chance to play it, and it's bloody lovely. We'll see.

Had a couple of offers on the ES-345, thanks. It's just had a new set of D'Addario balanced tension 11's on, and is lovely as well. Aaargh!

Last, but not least, interest in the ES-330, and some very pleasant message exchanges with cash plus trade and another interested party. This has also had the balanced tension D'Addario 11's on, instead of the flatwound 12's. This too, is exceptionally lovely.

The problem is, if they don't sell quickly, I end up playing them, and finding them all, well, lovely. You can see where this is heading!

Call me Dave.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2022
    Three pics as an aide memoire in case anyone  CBA to scroll from the beginning! Not really looking for much in the way of trades, but a Gretsch 6120 of some description might hit the mark, particularly a DSW or 55 Vintage Select.

Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    edited April 2022
    Update: The two Gibsons are on hold - thanks for the messages, offers and interest, although it's they're off-forum sales, which is always a shame.

Gretsch still nominally available,  but being as I haven't got many guitars left now, this one is in danger of having to stay with me. Poor sod.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Two Gibsons both sold, the ES-330 to a forum member in the end, so thanks to admin for letting me post this nonsense as usual.

I'm hanging on to the Gretsch for now, as my guitar stash has dwindled this weekend, and it's a rather nice guitar anyway.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • markjmarkj Frets: 939
    Yes, that's the one.
    Call me Dave.
  • markjmarkj Frets: 939
    If it had been a few weeks later I would have had the guitar from you.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3377
    Inheritance literally arrived in my account the day after it sold. I have never been so disappointed. 
    edited April 2022
    Always the way! I'd had a couple of trade suggestions and a couple of offers that were lower than I got for it - he also had my L-00, ES-135 and J-45 last week. I did have a nice Atkin from him though, so it wasn't all one way. Funnily enough, it was after they'd been sold that they got the most interest!

If you give James a call, he'll sort out a good deal for you, especially if it doesn't involve Reverb fees. He's had quite a few off me, and that was one of four last weekend that I sold to him.  He gives me pretty good prices for them, and sometimes more than I ask on here. He would perhaps be able to hold it for you for a while too. He doesn't operate on a large margin, so with fees taken off, it shouldn't be all that much more expensive than my asking price. He'll also deliver, take p/ex and cards, etc.

I also took my LSL to him to have a fret dress and my 1952 ES-350 for a refret. He has his own range of guitars, and is an authorised Gibson service centre, as well as running guitar building courses. He'll also sell on commission at a percentage that I think is too low, but it seems to work for him.

No affiliation, by the way - I've bought lots from him and sold lots to him. He's just a good chap to do business with and he's a nice bloke as well. It's about a 420 mile round trip for me, but it's worth a day out.

Just give me a shout if you want any more details, or info.
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3377
    Thanks @db1, as is often the way these things … it’s been a few days so my head has been turned by something else. Although I am down that way in a few weeks so might have to give James a shout if it is still available. 
    Yes, of course. It's a beautiful guitar, and I don't think that you'd regret it. I'm sure that the deal would be good as well. 
    Call me Dave.
    I've spent the last week or so with the Gretsch, because it's a wonderful guitar and it's deserved spending time with, but I've reached the conclusion that I struggle with the '59 type spec which doesn't include a master tone control.

So - it will be sold, and that's my last word on the matter, until tomorrow. Or tonight. I don't want to restrict my options too much, do I?

Give me a shout if you're interested, and if you want to suggest anything up as a possible part trade, that's fine, although I don't need anything really. A Gretsch 6120 (55 Vintage Select, DSW, Chet) might work, and I'm partial to a Gibson preferably with P90's, maybe a CS Strat Tele, Fano Alt de Facto, etc.

Don't worry about distance, as I'm happy to travel. I'll give it until next weekend on here, and then perhaps arrange for it to be sold on commission.
    Call me Dave.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 399
    PM’d you Dave
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8228
    Also PM'd.
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    Thanks chaps. Replied.
    Call me Dave.
    Gretsch sold subject to the usual.
    Call me Dave.
    edited May 2022
    OK - back up for sale again. Buyer had a change of mind the night before collection, so it's available. It happens, so not to worry and it's OK.

On the plus side, it's had a set up and brand new set of strings tonight, so if you'd like a superb Custom Shop Gretsch, just drop me a line.

I'm happy to listen to part trades - to repeat above, A Gretsch 6120 (55 Vintage Select, DSW, Chet) might work, and I'm partial to a Gibson preferably with P90's, maybe a CS Strat Tele, Fano Alt de Facto, etc

I'll keep it up for sale for a week, and then pop it down to James at The Guitar Showroom in Sussex for a commission sale, so if you're keen just let me know!

Call me Dave.
  • HattigolHattigol Frets: 8228
    Back for sale? Thought a deal was done with someone on here?
    Will chew it over and come back to you. 
    "Anybody can play. The note is only 20%. The attitude of the motherf*cker who plays it is  80%" - Miles Davis
    edited May 2022
    Yes, not to worry - these things happen and it's genuinely not a problem. It's only guitars after all, nothing important.

Yes, whenever you're ready and you shift whatever you need to, we can have a chat.

Only slight problem is that I've inadvertently set it up so that it's playing better than ever. Being a creature of little willpower, I'm going to have to see it gone so I can't keep it.  

Or keep it. How can I blame anyone for changing their mind when mine hardly works at all?   =)
    Call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom