NGD: Gibson Sheryl Crow C&W Supreme

What's Hot
CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
edited April 2022 in Acoustics

I accompany and sing with a pop/soul/R&B choir, as well as a few smaller vocal groups, and have been on a journey to find the perfect acoustic for strummed rhythm work. In the last three years I've been through a bunch of dreads; a D28, D18, Hummingbird and a Maton. Oh, and an Atkin D37. None felt quite right for the job and I was starting to wonder if I was being too exacting or whether my lofty ideals of the perfect strummer would ever be met. 

I've had my eye on the Sheryl Crow signature Gibsons for a while and was close to buying a Southern Jumbo years ago, only for the seller to get cold feet at the last minute. I almost ordered the Country & Western but life had other plans for my finances at the time. 

Last week I spotted one on the GuitarGuitar website and knew I had to try it. I put down a deposit and two days later it was at my local branch. Had a feeling I'd be bringing it home and sure enough, it was love at first strum. I've honestly never bonded with any guitar so quickly. Warm and rich, yet clear and dry. Just the right amount of bass thump and the most beautiful, sweet mids that I find hard to describe with words. Responsive to the lightest touch, yet resplendent with an aggressive attack. Beautiful overtones in all the right places giving single notes a piano-like quality that I wouldn't expect from a mahogany dread. I actually felt a bit emotional knowing I've found 'the one'. 

The bone saddle isn't compensated but doesn't need to be... the intonation is perfect! Another guy trying out guitars in the acoustic room at GG commented on how he'd never heard a Gibson so in tune with itself and that I should take it home.

You could look at this guitar and be forgiven for thinking that it's essentially a Hummingbird with simpler aesthetics, but it is miles apart from any Hummingbird I've played. Looks aside, the main differences are a thinner pickguard, 1930's 'advanced' bracing pattern, torrefied top and hide glue construction... and what a difference they make! 

The rounded neck profile fills the hand nicely and compliments the 1.73" nut width perfectly. I thought I didn't much like 24.75" scale guitars but this one has changed my mind on that. The action came a little higher than I'd choose and yet I played it for hours on end yesterday and felt no discomfort. I'll leave it where it is. 

The icing on the cake is the pickup it comes with - the Trance Amulet M-VT. I had one in my D28 and deeply regretted not removing it before selling the guitar. Zero noise, great headroom, faithful to the guitar's character with just enough grit to cut through live with no need for any external preamp or processing. They're quite expensive to import from the US so I'm over the moon that the guitar came with one factory-fitted. 

Now it's just a case of plucking up the courage to drill for a strap button on the neck's heel grimace 

The missus is a huge SC fan and got a bit giddy when I showed her the hand-signed label. We watched a few concert videos together and I have to say, it's made a fan of me too. Not only does the woman have exemplary taste in guitars, she's an absolute songwriting and vocal powerhouse and a fine role model. It's worth watching some concerts just to see the calibre of musicians she surrounds herself with and the amount of fine guitars they get through on each set. Viva la Crow! 
0reaction image LOL 9reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TheMadMickTheMadMick Frets: 240
    If it sounds as good as it looks, you must be onto a winner. I'm not keen on the the US bling so that sits nicely with me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • MellishMellish Frets: 945
    edited April 2022
    Very nice guitar mate .

That stand - it's not a Hercules, is it? The trigger at the back always fell off the ones I bought. A fix was suggested by @ICBM and that got it sorted.

Back to your guitar, hope it's with you for many years. Enjoy mate.

But drilling to take a strap button? Hmm :) 
  • CryptidCryptid Frets: 406
    If it sounds as good as it looks, you must be onto a winner. I'm not keen on the the US bling so that sits nicely with me.
    Me neither, but I was prepared to put aside my distaste for over-decoration if a guitar sounded right. Fortunately, this one ticks all the boxes. 

Mellish said:
    Very nice guitar mate .

That stand - it's not a Hercules, is it? The trigger at the back always fell off the ones I bought. A fix was suggested by @ICBM and that got it sorted.

Back to your guitar, hope it's with you for many years. Enjoy mate.

But drilling to take a strap button? Hmm :) 

Thanks mate. I'll never sell it. In fact, the missus has insisted I update my will so that, in the event of my untimely demise, it's left to her ...on the understanding that she's not allowed to murder me for it :lol: 

It is a Hercules stand but I've never had any troubles with it. I really do need to fit a strap button as most of my playing is done standing. I really don't get along with a loop round the headstock - I find them uncomfortable and don't like the idea of the pressure being exerted there. 

I'd normally put one on the treble side of the neck heel but on this guitar I think I'll go for the centre. 

• rze99rze99 Frets: 2283
    agggh you just made me want one. But my Guild is good enough for me.

Came here to say how right you are about SC and her band. Top stuff all round... and she always comes across as wise and wonderful as a human being when I see here talking.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Cryptid said:
    It is a Hercules stand but I've never had any troubles with it...
    You could manufacture your own but, as we all know, it's hard to make a stand ;)
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    Cryptid said:
    It is a Hercules stand but I've never had any troubles with it...
    You could manufacture your own but, as we all know, it's hard to make a stand ;)
    Very funny. You should go into stand-up ;p
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Cryptid very shrewd caveat in your will mate :) 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Strap button done, phew! Nice of Gibson to include a strap button and truss rod tool with the guitar. 

I've done this procedure on other acoustics but felt really nervous about this one. I go for the treble side on Martin style heels but this seemed the most pleasing place on the Crow...

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72325
    Cryptid said:
    Strap button done, phew! Nice of Gibson to include a strap button and truss rod tool with the guitar. 

I've done this procedure on other acoustics but felt really nervous about this one. I go for the treble side on Martin style heels but this seemed the most pleasing place on the Crow...
    I always think they're best there on a guitar with a smoothly rounded heel like this. The reason for putting them on the treble side is because most Martin-style heels are ridged so the button can't go on the centreline.

Very nice guitar :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Yes, you've made a good job of that. Well done mate :) 
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    Fabulous :) enjoy
  • Nice guitar, and even nicer to read how well you have bonded with it and how much it has, clearly, inspired you.

I started a Sheryl Crow thread on here maybe a month or so ago, having myself also very recently become a convert to her music. 

• ElectricXIIElectricXII Frets: 1130
    Cryptid said:

What a beautiful guitar! I'm happy for you that you've finally found one you really love. I've been hesitating about putting a strap button on my J-35, and I was going to put it on the treble side of the heel. Now you've got me thinking about putting it where you have. How far from the heel cap is the centre of the button?
  • SoupmanSoupman Frets: 229
    Nice guitar. It's great when you pick up an instrument and know straight away that it's the one for you. You can spend months trying similar ones, then you hit that first chord on THE one.... satisfaction guaranteed. Congratulations!
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26991
    Very good gas. I’ve often thought I’d love something like this or a Southern Jumbo but never played one. I must rectify that at some point
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    Like the one I recently found. One strum and you know it's the one.

Yes, my Gibson Dove Original is blingy but I didn't get it fo that, I got it for its tone. 

Like Cryptid with his Sheryl Crow, this is the guitar I'll spend the rest of my life with :) 
  • GomersGomers Frets: 17
    Many congratulations on your new guitar, it looks absolutely fabulous.  I really like hearing that a special connection has been made between player and guitar, it just makes the two elements work together more harmoniously.

Now get some F-One oil on that bridge and FB !
    2008 Martin 000-15
     2004 Yamaha LL-500
    1995 Yamaha LA-8
    Cheers for the kind words :)  As you can tell, I'm totally besotted with it and can't wait for rehearsal next week. One thing I didn't mention is just how loud and sonorous it is when strummed with a pick. Cannon-like but real sweet with it. The overtones when a chord decays reminds me of a piano and puts an inane grin on my face every time. 

I find myself going for a different pick than I normally would for strumming - the humble 0.88mm Dunlop Tortex just sounds so right and matches the tone from my fingers when hybrid picking. 

This is actually my first brand-new Gibson. I've no problem with secondhand guitars of course, but it feels right that I own my keeper from new. The leather Gibson keyring pick holder is a nice touch too :)  

Now you've got me thinking about putting it where you have. How far from the heel cap is the centre of the button?
    I would mate, I don't think it'd look right anywhere else on a Gibson heel. I placed it by eye, but the centre of the screw ended up 23mm from the heel cap. Watching a SC concert, I noticed she places her strap button at the back on the heel cap itself, but I don't like them there as the guitar tends to fall forward. 

Mellish said:
    Yes, my Gibson Dove Original is blingy but I didn't get it fo that, I got it for its tone. 
    You know how impressed I was with that Anni Dove at GG and could see myself owning one, one day. It's a great example of a guitar I used to find gaudy, until I played one... and now they seem gorgeous :)
    Very good gas. I’ve often thought I’d love something like this or a Southern Jumbo but never played one. I must rectify that at some point
    You must ;) The SC Southern Jumbos are very hard to come by as Gibson only made them for a short while. Ian Meadows on YouTube demos a plethora of lovely acoustics on his channel but the SC SJ is his #1 guitar. I'd snap one up in a shot if I had the chance. 

Gomers said:
    Many congratulations on your new guitar, it looks absolutely fabulous.  I really like hearing that a special connection has been made between player and guitar, it just makes the two elements work together more harmoniously.

Now get some F-One oil on that bridge and FB !
    Thanks mate. I've never tried F-One oil, is it true it smells a bit fishy? I'd like to treat the rosewood with something when it's time for a string change. Might have to take the saddle down a smidgen too after all. 
    There's something else about a Gibson acoustic : the smell. 

Any Gibson acoustic owner (whet J45, Hummingbird, Dove or J200 or lower priced models for all I know) knows that smell. What causes it? The glue used? It fills a room.its a smell I find very pleasant "