Can Anyone Explain The Controversy Over Rob Chapman?

What's Hot

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Bigsby said:
    If only this forum had a search function....

Going from memory, which may be unreliable, I'm pretty sure it turned out that Chappers couldn't actually play guitar at all, he now runs a Chippie in Malta and is/was involved with one of the girls from Wham! 
    Quality!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • slugeliseslugelise Frets: 113
    Rift city guitars, there's an old thread on here. They were exclusive importers for Chapman into the USA. They went bust, not exclusively due to Chapman but did post a response to Rob's recollection of his dealings with them.

Old news now, the rift city blog on the matter seems to have vanished into the mists of time.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12461
    I heard that when he reaches the vinegar stroke he shouts "GRRRRRREATINGS" and does a salute. Whether it's true or not I don't know.
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    11reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8858
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13578
    edited April 2022
    Sassafras said:
    Didn't he sell guitars with pickups that needed upgrading?
    no mann that was Thom.

just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NickNick Frets: 98
    edited April 2022
    Nick said:

That "idiot kid" you refer to was one of Rob's earliest and biggest fans. He was active on the Rob Chapman Forum and buying Chapman Guitars around the same time - if not before - the likes of you and I. I'm talking original ML-1 days. Did you not realise? I assume not, due to the lovely nickname you betrothed upon him.
    On top of that, the fact that he did a bunch of similar hit-piece videos on other YouTubers (and then switched to guitar content) would strongly suggest that it was a self-serving strategy to give his channel a boost before trying to become known as a YouTube guitarist, rather than some sort of public service. That's not the mark of a decent, trustworthy person - to me at least.
    I can understand that to some degree. But, after all has been said and done, I know which one I would agree to lend twenty quid on the promise it be paid back.

(Answer: it’s the Axl Rose lookalike, not the grown man who refers to himself as the primate king lol )
  • duotoneduotone Frets: 1025
    edited May 2022
    slugelise said:
    Rift city guitars, there's an old thread on here. They were exclusive importers for Chapman into the USA. They went bust, not exclusively due to Chapman but did post a response to Rob's recollection of his dealings with them.

Old news now, the rift city blog on the matter seems to have vanished into the mists of time.
    https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/171113/riff-city-now-chimes-in-on-the-rob-chapman-video/p1

• prowlaprowla Frets: 5011
    I'd really like a Chapman stick, rather than Chappers schtick.

(Andertons are selling Chapman guitars, though - https://www.andertons.co.uk/brands/chapman-guitars .)
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4266
    Well he clearly hasn’t fallen out with Lee Anderton:

https://youtu.be/c5Z0JbdcP2c

(And I’ve got to say, some of those guitars look great)
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• Well he clearly hasn’t fallen out with Lee Anderton:

https://youtu.be/c5Z0JbdcP2c

(And I’ve got to say, some of those guitars look great)
    What is it about Chappers that makes me want to eat a 3 course cheese meal and still call for a cheeseburger on my way home to cheeseville in my cheesemachine? 
    'Vot eva happened to the Transylvanian Tvist?'
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 12548
    I think some of the guitars look really nice too, especially the Tele-shaped jobbies.  But that video is excruciating, self-indulgent twaddle and the new marketing goon looked embarrassed to be there.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27125
    Nick said:
    Nick said:

That "idiot kid" you refer to was one of Rob's earliest and biggest fans. He was active on the Rob Chapman Forum and buying Chapman Guitars around the same time - if not before - the likes of you and I. I'm talking original ML-1 days. Did you not realise? I assume not, due to the lovely nickname you betrothed upon him.
    On top of that, the fact that he did a bunch of similar hit-piece videos on other YouTubers (and then switched to guitar content) would strongly suggest that it was a self-serving strategy to give his channel a boost before trying to become known as a YouTube guitarist, rather than some sort of public service. That's not the mark of a decent, trustworthy person - to me at least.
    I can understand that to some degree. But, after all has been said and done, I know which one I would agree to lend twenty quid on the promise it be paid back.

(Answer: it’s the Axl Rose lookalike, not the grown man who refers to himself as the primate king lol )
    I'm equal-opportunities about it. I wouldn't want to be associated with either of them ;)
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • poopotpoopot Frets: 9100
    Jetfire said:
    poopot said:
    He is a member here… just not under his real name obvs…
    Is this actually true?
    Yep… and he’s quite a prolific poster as well!!!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Roland said:
    That should have read if only the forum had a search function which actually worked. 
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27125
    edited May 2022
    Roland said:
    That should have read if only the forum had a search function which actually worked. 
    It actually does
    <space for hire>
  • guitarjack66guitarjack66 Frets: 2001
    poopot said:
    Jetfire said:
    poopot said:
    He is a member here… just not under his real name obvs…
    Is this actually true?
    Yep… and he’s quite a prolific poster as well!!!!
    Greetings! I've learned from my mistakes,you will be glad to know.

PS I only have two mansions now,and three ferraris. I sent the Lamborghini back as it was just a tad too ostentatious.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • KilgoreKilgore Frets: 8601
    There is the possibility that Rob Chapman doesn't actually exist and is simply the product of forum mass hysteria. 
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8574
    His fall from the dizzy heights was a near dictionary definition of Hubris IMO. Don’t blame some spotty kid swinging in a chair on an unwatched YouTube channel.

I don’t watch any of his current content but seems he’s found peace in Malta and and reduction in exposure / popularity. 
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30322
    I collaborated on the Chapman guitars and I'm still waiting for the £2 million I think I was promised. 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom