Can Anyone Explain The Controversy Over Rob Chapman?

What's Hot

Comments

• hollywoodroxhollywoodrox Frets: 4310
    Parts of this thread read like a Red Top Newspaper 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • DavusPGDavusPG Frets: 452
    Love him or loathe him, Chappers has obviously done something right given that people are still watching his videos and, as demonstrated on here, still talking about him!

I was never a fan of him or his playing, so chose to watch other gear demos instead. As one of the earlier guitar content creators on YouTube though, we probably have him in part to thank for many of the great ones we have today? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • foskfosk Frets: 157
    I can’t really watch anything with him in, he’s so annoying.  I think putting his surname on the guitar brand owned by him and Lee Anderton is a mistake.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • jonnyburgojonnyburgo Frets: 12460
    I misspelt the name of a weird guitar in gogglywoogly and got a picture of Chapman's Dick. 
    "OUR TOSSPOT"
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3825
    That's what they all say.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • skullfunkerryskullfunkerry Frets: 4264
    Offset said:
    I think some of the guitars look really nice too, especially the Tele-shaped jobbies.  But that video is excruciating, self-indulgent twaddle and the new marketing goon looked embarrassed to be there.
    I didn't think it was that bad, it made me chuckle in places.
    Too much gain... is just about enough \m/

I'm probably the only member of this forum mentioned by name in Whiskey in the Jar ;)

• OffsetOffset Frets: 12524
    Offset said:
    I think some of the guitars look really nice too, especially the Tele-shaped jobbies.  But that video is excruciating, self-indulgent twaddle and the new marketing goon looked embarrassed to be there.
    I chuckled too, but for all the wrong reasons!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23713
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    It's extremely cringey but the Lee Anderton "bloopers" at the end did make me laugh.
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7808
    NelsonP said:
    Dear God, where does it stop.  Somebody trying to do a précis of the allegations and invites comments with "what do you think?" questions.  Among the subscriber comments somebody muses over whether moving to Malta was for shady financial and tax reasons and someone else chimes in (maybe the "article" author) with "hmmm, I wondered that myself".  For God's sake, does nobody Google or look up Wikipedia before publicly musing about potentially libellous inferences?  His wife is Maltese !!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 27093
    BillDL said:
    NelsonP said:
    Dear God, where does it stop.  Somebody trying to do a précis of the allegations and invites comments with "what do you think?" questions.  Among the subscriber comments somebody muses over whether moving to Malta was for shady financial and tax reasons and someone else chimes in (maybe the "article" author) with "hmmm, I wondered that myself".  For God's sake, does nobody Google or look up Wikipedia before publicly musing about potentially libellous inferences?  His wife is Maltese !!
    Yeah, but...at the time, the news was all about beating up rich people for using (legal) tax avoidance schemes, so he presumably thought he'd get a bit of that in there too.
    <space for hire>
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31157
    It's no use cutting if you're knife isn't sharp.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BoromedicBoromedic Frets: 5011
    He doesn't appear to have lost many subscribers at all, and his video views have been at a similar level. So it may appear he's gone but he's still doing okay it seems, I've not done a deep dive into the stats however. The reply video he did was really misjudged though.

I'd love to know what really happened (the real story not the internet fantasy) with the British standard series which was a massive mistake. He seems happy enough though and he's been through a lot lately with his family. I wish him nothing but the best really. 

The yard is nothing but a fence, the sun just hurts my eyes...

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BidleyBidley Frets: 2954
    Philly_Q said:
    Offset said:
    Offset said:
    It's extremely cringey but the Lee Anderton "bloopers" at the end did make me laugh.

I'm pretty sure that video was entirely humorous and meant to be cheesy and cringy...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • m_cm_c Frets: 1252
    His video views did take a hit.

I've never really liked his style of music or playing, but his educational videos were always good. He has the ability to explain what appear to be pretty complex topics, in a simple to understand way.
    I also liked his videos with Lee, as they were just two mates passionate about guitars.

However the whole reply video was very misjudged, and I don't doubt he's probably upset a few people getting where he has with his videos, bands, and guitars.
  • NelsonPNelsonP Frets: 3430
    I misspelt the name of a weird guitar in gogglywoogly and got a picture of Chapman's Dick. 
    You are Neil Parish and I claim my £5
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • StrangefanStrangefan Frets: 5844
    Roland said:
    That should have read if only the forum had a search function which actually worked. 
    It actually does
    Dayum, I'm def glad to be proved wrong on this!
  • thumpingrugthumpingrug Frets: 2958
    So here we are again, a bunch of guitar nuts, having a go at someone who has made a bit of a life for themselves doing the thing we enjoy.  Why?   Just leave the bloke alone.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 9reaction image Wisdom
  • BlaendulaisBlaendulais Frets: 3329
    So here we are again, a bunch of guitar nuts, having a go at someone who has made a bit of a life for themselves doing the thing we enjoy.  Why?   Just leave the bloke alone.  
    Because Chapman broke rule 1 of the forum.....bigtime
  • johnhejohnhe Frets: 192
    edited May 2022
    I think that the way Rob dealt with the issue (the young guy targeting him in “expose” videos) should be put into book form and published as a great example of how not to respond to criticism in public.

before I watched Rob’s response videos, I was pretty neutral. I didn’t like his playing much (although he’s technically impressive) and I found his persona quite off-putting. But I found him fairly amusing all the same and watched a fair number of his Andertons videos. Since I watched his response videos online, I think I can honestly say that I have not watched one single Rob Chapman video since. The whole thing was just so dreadfully Ill-conceived and unpleasant. Simple silence would have been so much more effective. 

That’s all only my opinion of course. If someone was targeting me online, I’d probably be equally incapable of restraining myself from responding. But Robs example demonstrates in excruciating detail why that is such a bad idea.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • fastonebazfastonebaz Frets: 4179
    I heard that when he reaches the vinegar stroke he shouts "GRRRRRREATINGS" and does a salute. Whether it's true or not I don't know.
    I lolled so hard I dropped my butter knife and almost knocked over my salami pack.