Live drums.

What's Hot
Maybe I am in the wrong place here - 

My band has just imploded after ten years - something new. is emerging -  but may involve me moving from guitar to drums....... I can play - drums are my first instrument - and I gigged as a. drummer from 16 till 22ish - I haven't had an acoustic set since that time - I have an electric set at home - which is great for practicing and home recording - but I am guessing wouldn't necessarily cut it live? 

Would I need an acoustic kit to gig with?  How much is a gig standard acoustic kit?

any help appreciated 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3683
    edited May 2022
    We do around half our gigs with an eKit..  easier on the ears and a good, consistent sound, esp. with subs on the PA.  Maybe start with that, if portable.

What type of music/venues?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • We do around half our gigs with an eKit..  easier on the ears and a good, consistent sound, esp. with subs on the PA.  Maybe start with that, if portable.

What type of music/venues?
    thanks @Stratavarious - the kit is a TD-9 - its for Ska and reggae (I think using an ekit would make it possible/easier to include some live dub elements/effects).....

we have a PA (tough I dont know a lot about how that works - I understand that the ekit would effectively DI?). I am guessing an ekit might sit well in the mix?

Venue's would be pubs, clubs and small festivals......
  • I hope dont mind me asking @Stratavarious - but why do you do half your gigs with an ekit? in your experience do the in house sound men (And women) you come across have experience/confidence dealing with an ekit? what short of stuff do you?
  • StratavariousStratavarious Frets: 3683
    I hope dont mind me asking @Stratavarious - but why do you do half your gigs with an ekit? in your experience do the in house sound men (And women) you come across have experience/confidence dealing with an ekit? what short of stuff do you?
    We play small and large venues as well as festivals of all sizes. We have a digital desk with saved settings for both mic’d live kit or the edrums. Most of us have IEMs, so its all pretty easy to switch.  Places with sound people usually are fine with anything or big enough to have a kit and we just bring breakables.

The mix sounds very good with eKit IMO and it is less fatiguing on ears.   

Obviously monitoring for bandmates is part of the necessary thinking. 
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    Electric kits fucking suck.
    Get a Yamaha stage custom, some nice heads and some decent cymbals.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BodBod Frets: 1315
    I'm a drummer and it's really a balance between the convenience of an eKit, and authenticity in the sense of performance, dynamics and visual appearance.  I use a Roland TD11 with mesh heads at home that triggers Superior Drummer 3 for recording and practice and while it's OK and good for songwriting etc it's just not as nice to play.  Neighbours and space mean that this is my only option at home, and I'll often just not bother to practice at home because the experience is so underwhelming.

In a live scenario, having an eKit means you can better control the levels and if everybody's going direct from modellers etc it makes things a lot easier to set up a consistent mix between venues, especially with a digital mixer.  It also helps to appease venues that are stupid enough to book bands and then complain about the volume levels, as you can get it much lower than an acoustic kit.

If you're happy with playing an eKit, then I'd say 99% of the punters wouldn't care.  If I were to gig with one I'd definitely want to use SD3 rather than the rubbish stock sounds though, which adds another point of failure and you'd ideally have to have a dedicated laptop configured with always-on power settings, and notifications etc turned off.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8494
    For my first 18 months of learning to drum I exclusively played an electronic kit. Then I did a gig and there was a real drum kit as backline. It was like sitting at an instrument I'd never played before, that's how different they are in practice.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16297
    Having done pub gigs with a drummer with an E kit there were some real practical advantages. Set up time was couple of minutes as opposed to forever and band volume wasn't reliant on matching the drums. 
    The PA is a big issue. Can it cope with providing all the drum volume? Have you got adequate monitoring? 
    You can buy dedicated E kit amps/ monitors although from a quick look anything worth having in a band is in the £hundreds. Which alternatively could go toward an acoustic kit. Although then mics,etc...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
    Cirrus said:
    For my first 18 months of learning to drum I exclusively played an electronic kit. Then I did a gig and there was a real drum kit as backline. It was like sitting at an instrument I'd never played before, that's how different they are in practice.
    That was one of the arguments our drummer had for using an E kit. Practice at home was on one so having to manage a different feel and dynamics at a gig wasn’t useful. I guess the comparison would be practicing at home on an electric guitar then being given an acoustic for a gig. 

• MusicwolfMusicwolf Frets: 3661

Would I need an acoustic kit to gig with?
    You don't need an acoustic kit, I think that it's about what you want.

I've worked with one drummer who moved over to an electronic kit and he loved it as it allowed him to practice at home and also use it to trigger some sounds that he couldn't get from an acoustic kit, he sounded great.  As others have said, you need a PA that's up to the job.

In one of my bands the drummer wouldn't touch an electric kit and he gets uptight at any mention of electronic drums.  His choice, the rest of us don't interfere (he doesn't choose which guitars we play).  He can control his volume, probably better than the singer / guitarist can control his amp volume.
  • thank you @EricTheWeary and @Bod ;

I have an ekit at home and have played it for years - I am entirely comfortable playing that or an acoustic kit - I am. fortunate in that I'll get a chance to try out the ekit through our PA in practice and. can decide from there whether. to gig with it or get an accostic kit - I can see there would be a lot of advantages to an ekit (in terms of set up, consistency etc) - its just a question of how. an ekit sounds in the. mix of the band and how. it goes over with an auidence...... thank you for the advice. 

(your use your ekit as a sort of midi controller with a daw then @Bod? That sounds interesting) 

(your use your ekit as a sort of midi controller with a daw then @Bod? That sounds interesting) 

Yeah, it works well and adds so much more realism over the stock Roland sounds - even the higher range modules I've tried.

Both Superior Drummer and EZ Drummer, which has just been updated to v3, provides tools for triggering from an eKit, including config presets for most of the popular units out there.  You don't technically need a DAW as both provide standalone .exe versions.  I haven't used it live, but have helped a friend configure a laptop and small audio interface for live use and he gigs it most weekends.

SD3 might be overkill for what you need, but EZ Drummer 3 looks amazing and will cover everything you need and more.
  • RocknRollDaveRocknRollDave Frets: 6502
    +1 to all of those saying that the big advantage of e-drums is the turn-up-and-downability. Makes getting a good balance much easier. You’re also a bit less prone to the issues of reflection you get in big, cavernous rooms - You don’t eradicate it completely, but you now have drums firing one way (i.e. out of the PA), reducing those unpleasant reverberations significantly.

No, they don’t sound quite as good, no, they’re not as enjoyable to play….but your audience won’t care for either of those considerations.

Bod said:

Yeah, it works well and adds so much more realism over the stock Roland sounds - even the higher range modules I've tried.

Both Superior Drummer and EZ Drummer, which has just been updated to v3, provides tools for triggering from an eKit, including config presets for most of the popular units out there.  You don't technically need a DAW as both provide standalone .exe versions.  I haven't used it live, but have helped a friend configure a laptop and small audio interface for live use and he gigs it most weekends.

SD3 might be overkill for what you need, but EZ Drummer 3 looks amazing and will cover everything you need and more.
    Would that also be an easier route to add delays/reverbs for dub style effects than a nest of cables and pedals? 

EricTheWeary said:
    Would that also be an easier route to add delays/reverbs for dub style effects than a nest of cables and pedals? 
    Totally, plus it gives you more granularity over what pieces of the kit you put the effects on, all within the plugin.  I'm not sure about triggering effects within the plugin but if you use a DAW that's easily done.  Using a DAW also allows you to use individual software outputs from the plugin and add any VST/AU/AAX effect to them. 

Basically, if you can think it, you can usually do it somehow.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72442
    Nothing to add about electronic drums themselves - I'm not a drummer - but if you're going to put drums of any kind through the PA, it absolutely must have subs, and probably more power than you think you need even if the intention is to play more quietly than an acoustic kit. A 'vocal PA' with top cabs only will not cut it - the kick drum and transients will put a huge strain on both the power amp and speakers and could possibly cause damage even if you don't get distortion or limiting kicking in.

One reason a lot of people don't think electronic drums sound good is using inadequate amplification.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    octatonic said:
    Electric kits fucking suck.
    Get a Yamaha stage custom, some nice heads and some decent cymbals.
    To go into a bit more detail... I've been through this myself.

Electric kits fucking suck. (This point needs reiterating)
    They are also terrible for your technique.
    Playing on rubber hats in particular is a nightmare.
    If you are already a good drummer then you can adjust but it is always a compromise.

A traditional kit is a better proposition- if you need them to be low volume then use low volume cymbals and mesh heads.
    Like this:

With an e-kit you will learn how to play with tight arm positioning- you wont easily get translation from an e-kit to a regular kit.
    When you eventually move to a proper kit you will have loads of muscle memory that will work against you.

The problem with the kit above is obviously that you won't be able to record anything useful from it.
    You can get around that by using triggers and a drum module.

I do most of my playing on a kit of this type- it is fine.
    It stays set up in the studio.
    If i needed to a head swap would be about 30 mins if I needed to gig it- but I have a second kit I use for that.
    When I've had (high end) e-kits they simply went unused- they are so uninspiring to play.
    Never again.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2976
    One of the things I've been meaning to do but haven't done yet (we all have those, right?) is to convert my acoustic kit to an e-kit. Mesh heads + triggers.
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7807
    I have no issues swapping between real kits and Ekits - I have always practiced on EKits at home and used real ones in practice rooms or bands.

However, 

I am not a great drummer - firmly average - so I'm not doing anything fancy.
    Ensuring you have the right PA and monitoring for an EKit is a must if you do it within the band, otherwise, it will sound shit.
    If you get a real kit - learn how to tune it properly, if you don't already know.
    Unless high end kits have improved a lot, doing any kind of nice dynamic cymbal work on an ekit is a tricky

The very heavy Jamaican accent may make this difficult to follow…

https://youtu.be/pBhTpxvA3IE

…just following on from some of the things Bod was saying. This is adding a greater level of complexity than just plugging an E kit into a socket on a PA mixer but you can start to see the possibilities. 
    Right, how do I explain to MrsTheWeary that I want to take up the drums now…