Live drums.

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14474
    octatonic said:
    Electric kits fucking suck. (This point needs reiterating)
    They are also terrible for your technique.
    I am not a drummer but I understand what octatonic is saying. 

The physicality of beating on flexible heads is yet to be matched by electronic kits … including the expensive mesh headed ones. 

the kit is a TD-9 ... we have a PA
    Years ago, a drummer with whom I worked briefly, had a double Roland electronic kit and a monstorous Mackie self-powered P.A. devoted to amplifying it. 

Once, whilst troubleshooting, I was asked to look over the back of a cab to see whether an LED was lighting up. It was. The force of air from the loudspeakers was very similar to standing in front of an acoustic kick drum.

It makes economic sense to begin with the gear that you already own but, for proper impact, the band P.A. has to kick ass.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Bod said:
    EricTheWeary said:
    Would that also be an easier route to add delays/reverbs for dub style effects than a nest of cables and pedals? 
    Totally, plus it gives you more granularity over what pieces of the kit you put the effects on, all within the plugin.  I'm not sure about triggering effects within the plugin but if you use a DAW that's easily done.  Using a DAW also allows you to use individual software outputs from the plugin and add any VST/AU/AAX effect to them. 

Basically, if you can think it, you can usually do it somehow.
    Yes!!!!! @EricTheWeary - you KNOW thats where this is headed..... 
  • @octatonic I am not a great drummer - but Ive been playing 20 years so my technique is probably firmly established for better or worse - I've played acoustic kits for 10 years - got an ekit 10  years ago due to kids, home recording and becoming a guitar player as opposed to a drummer in band - I dont have an issue moving between. e and acoustic kits - but I think the take homes here are the PA is going to be really important - thats our bass players department so will consort with him - set up and levels are going to be quicker and easier and it will be exciting to have the additional versatility sounds available plus the prospect of using effects to dub it up 
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11460
    ICBM said:
    Nothing to add about electronic drums themselves - I'm not a drummer - but if you're going to put drums of any kind through the PA, it absolutely must have subs, and probably more power than you think you need even if the intention is to play more quietly than an acoustic kit. A 'vocal PA' with top cabs only will not cut it - the kick drum and transients will put a huge strain on both the power amp and speakers and could possibly cause damage even if you don't get distortion or limiting kicking in.

One reason a lot of people don't think electronic drums sound good is using inadequate amplification.

Very true.

Another thing to consider is monitoring.  You need something that can handle the kick drum without blowing up, unless you go for in ears.  I've seen a 1000W powered cab with a 12" speaker die after a few weeks of being used as a E drum monitor.  That may be coincidence, but in line with what ICBM said, the kick drum will put a lot of stress on it, and it probably wasn't coincidence.

There are purpose designed electric drum monitors, but they aren't cheap.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33803
    octatonic said:
    Electric kits fucking suck. (This point needs reiterating)
    They are also terrible for your technique.
    I am not a drummer but I understand what octatonic is saying. 

The physicality of beating on flexible heads is yet to be matched by electronic kits … including the expensive mesh headed ones. 
    Things like doubles and paradiddles, when learned for the first time on rubber pads and mesh heads, become difficult to translate when you do get to play an acoustic kit.
    This presupposes that on an acoustic kit 'it the right way to play', which if you are mostly going to be an e-kit player might not be true.

Plus, imho they are just not fun- there isn't the same subtlety on an e-kit- ghosts notes, hihat/cymbal to drum balance are completely unsubtle. 
  • sgosdensgosden Frets: 1994
    will you be sharing backline? 
    nothing throws off stage times like setting up and pulling down two kits in between bands. 
  • trolleytrolley Frets: 88
    My son has a Pearl Export kit which needs to go. PM me if you want more details
  • sgosden said:
    will you be sharing backline? 
    nothing throws off stage times like setting up and pulling down two kits in between bands. 
    thats a good point @sgosden I hadn't considered - setting up the e-kit takes minimal time - I can fold it into the back of the car, take it out, unfold it and. have it plugged in very quickly. I think the levels can be saved on the PA - then maybe slightly adjusted for the room..... 

Still leaves the issue of dealing with an acoustic kit on either side..... and I'd be entirely happy to use an acoustic kit if there is one there.....

• TimmyTimmy Frets: 23
    edited June 2022
    £300 on eBay for a secondhand kit if you are lucky. Mapex make good cheap drums but you can't go wrong with a pearl export.
  • DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    Musicwolf said:

Would I need an acoustic kit to gig with?
    You don't need an acoustic kit, I think that it's about what you want.

In one of my bands the drummer wouldn't touch an electric kit and he gets uptight at any mention of electronic drums.  His choice, the rest of us don't interfere (he doesn't choose which guitars we play).  He can control his volume, probably better than the singer / guitarist can control his amp volume.
    This. A good drummer knows what dynamics are. Electronic drums never have been, and never will be my choice for anything, although they have their place in certain situations. I can see if you want to make demos or practice at home, and volume is an issue, then e-drums are the right choice, but for live work, I'll quote carmine Appice, who said, "I like real drums, with real skins, that I can dig into and kick ass!" 

That sums it up for me as well. 
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ.