Hardwire chorus INTERMITTENT PROBLEMS NOW oh bawls

What's Hot
ThePrettyDamnedThePrettyDamned Frets: 7512
edited September 2014 in FX
Knew it was too good to be true!

Been messing with it all day and it sounds really great, dialled it in for great funk sounds.

However, it has a volume drop when engaged - click it off, and I have a louder signal. It's running after a visual sound son of Hyde, which is buffered.

Any thoughts? It could ruin a brilliant pedal.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

how is it powered?

Is it in an FX loop, or in front of the amp?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Isolated 9v supply from harley benton power plant junior.

Sits in front of the amp, but after my drive. So it's still before the preamp.

Does it when the son of hyde is on, too. So if I am playing, then click the chorus off, it goes pretty loud!
  • I've never noticed it.  When I get a moment this eve I'll try it and let you know whether yours is just a massive freak.
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Cheers mate, much appreciated.

It's not a headroom issue either - no clipping. And if I raise the volume of comp or distortion (before chorus in chain) they happily get louder - just not as loud as the chorus disengaged.
  • Maybe it's broken?
    :-/

(Not very helpful, I know)
  • Haha maybe!

I'm wondering if there is an internal trim pot that sets the output level. I'll have a gander later.
  • Just a thought - is it a stereo chorus? Does the level drop happen on both outputs?
  • It is stereo, but I only have one amp. I'll try the other output in a little while and let you know, but I'm using the labelled mono out.
  • Paul_CPaul_C Frets: 7926
    have you tried a battery in it, in case it's the power supply?
    "I'll probably be in the bins at Newport Pagnell services."  fretmeister
  • Paul_C;343068" said:
    have you tried a battery in it, in case it's the power supply?
    Good idea! I'd be surprised if it is the supply but best check. I've got a spare somewhere, I'm sure.
    If not batteries are £1-50 in the pound shop.....

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2411
    Batteries are £1.50 in the pound shop?!?!?!?!?!?!

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nah, £1 at mine ;)
    Really, I get them for 50p

• Right, didn't get around to doing this last night so just done it.  On my board (with buffers before) there was absolutely no volume drop. I then took it of my board and tried it in isolation and still no drop.  You one just sounds like it might be a cretin, dude. 
    My muse is not a horse and art is not a race.
  • Okay, cheers mate, that's useful info.  

I'll play with power supplies (I have a plug, and probably a battery handy) and open it up if that doesn't fix it to see if there is an internal trimmer.  I'll also knock together a recording and take a picture of my pedal chain. Expect updates later :)
  • How much signal drop? Quite often you hear effects like chorus ( tremolo is notorious for this) as slightly quieter than the non affected sound, just in the nature of it. Some kind of level adjust would be a great thing on all such pedals. Is it only the two pedals running off the Harley? The total load on that is 600mA which isn't that high.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • How much signal drop? Quite often you hear effects like chorus ( tremolo is notorious for this) as slightly quieter than the non affected sound, just in the nature of it. Some kind of level adjust would be a great thing on all such pedals. Is it only the two pedals running off the Harley? The total load on that is 600mA which isn't that high.
    Hmm, actually that's true - each output puts out 120ma IIRC.  Maybe not enough to get the killer headroom. 
  • Okay, apparently current draw is 80ma and I'm not sharing with anything else so it won't be that.  It powers up fine, so I supply enough for it to work. 

*sigh*
  • It gets worse.

Okay, so here is a very rough, quick recorded sound demo.  NO VOLUME DROP.

I was pleased, but also concerned - intermittent problems are hard to cure...

However, after the first distorted riff, the chorus wouldn't work - the LED lit but there was no signal at all from the pedal (fine bypassed).  SO...

Power issue still?  Unplugging it and replugging it in fixed it, and it's workin again (hence the second riff with chorus on). 

Excuse poor playing. 

SHIT SON.  I'm worried :(