Listening Party #12 - The War on Drugs - Live Drugs - start playing at 8pm on 8th June

What's Hot

Comments

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23533
    Speaking from a position of never having heard the band before, it's a lot more guitar-heavy than I expected.  That's not a complaint.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 4057
    markv said:
    "Red Eyes" is what got me into TWOD, I can't remember why I came across it - might even have been a random Spotify suggestion. They don't always hit the mark with their suggestions but they came up trumps on this one
    Same here, I think I had listened to The National while working then Red Eyes came on after it really caught my attention.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27623
    What I love most from Granduciel isn’t even the big solo moments but the big tremolo+delay washes he does. Just such a spectacular noise.

That said, my favourite WoD member is Charlie Hall the drummer. He barely ever plays anything flashy but he’s the absolute beast at driving a simple song forward. Just wait for Under The Pressure….
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1995
    05 Thinking of a Place

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• FuengiFuengi Frets: 2850
    Such a great groove. 
    @stickyfiddle I depped for you up to here seeing as you weren't about. I don't know when you wnat to take the break so over to you now as MC. :-)

Ian

• markvmarkv Frets: 460
    That said, my favourite WoD member is Charlie Hall the drummer. He barely ever plays anything flashy but he’s the absolute beast at driving a simple song forward. Just wait for Under The Pressure….
    When I first listened to them I assumed it was a drum machine! He's so consistent.
    Gorgeous... is it chorus, is it flanger? 
    markv said:
    When I first listened to them I assumed it was a drum machine! He's so consistent.
    That's what I thought on the very first track. Like a metronome.

Ian

• JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6155
    What I love most from Granduciel isn’t even the big solo moments but the big tremolo+delay washes he does. Just such a spectacular noise.

I've been thinking him and the bass player are the band leaders in terms of steering each song. The bass esp seems to call the changes.
    Fuengi said:
    Such a great groove. 
    See! Charlie Hall!! 

He's also the coolest MF. I'm slightly in love

A little bit of string bending on this track which is unusual for AG. 
    edited June 2022
    Devil#20 said:
    @stickyfiddle I depped for you up to here seeing as you weren't about. I don't know when you want to take the break so over to you now as MC. :-)

Much appreciated! Let's break after this track (Thinking of a Place). Back at 20:40
  • JezWyndJezWynd Frets: 6155
    JezWynd said:

I've been thinking him and the bass player are the band leaders in terms of steering each song. The bass esp seems to call the changes.
    Having said that, this song, Thinking... is def steered by the guitar.
    JezWynd said:

Yeah, he and AG write most of it but then it's all very heavily workshopped. Often the albums have different guys from their muso friends playing various parts (Hall hardly played on the last album) but the live arrangements is where they really come alive, and that's almost always the 6 guys playing on this - hence tonight's choice
    Great track this one. They all have been so far to be fair. 

Ian

edited June 2022
    Right, that song was longer than I thought, so let's have 10 mins and start back at 20:45

Next up is a couple of lighter ones before the big finish. You're gonna love it
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Get ready.... 
    edited June 2022
    6 - Buenos Aires Beach - GOOOOOO

The "most Dylan" on this record far (just imagine it sung an octave down and, well, worse). It's also the only song from their first 2 albums that got on here
    Now this is very Springsteen and E Street

Ian