Practice Amps - What's the state of play?

What's Hot
VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15487
I'm sure this gets asked a fair bit, but I did look and can't find anything (honest guvnor). I'm feeling urges to go over to the dark side and get an electric after about 6 years of not having one. Most likely one of them classic vibes as they look cool. But I have no idea about practice amps at all, so was wondering what's out there. I think I'd prefer a non headphone version if I could, but that's hardly a deal breaker. Doesn't need to have a million models and effects, but a few would be nice. Budget is flexible.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24272
    I use plugins and go through my PC at home.

A good set of monitor speakers is a must for that though.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I’ve been impressed by the Yamaha THR10 I tried recently. The mkii has Bluetooth so you can stream music to play along from your phone.

Alternatively for something more traditionally ampy, the Vox Cambridge 50 looks really good (I’ve not tried one, or any of its current competitors, but been impressed by previous generations of Valvetronix amps.)
  • Rowby1Rowby1 Frets: 1279
    I just use my gigging amps but turn them down.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15487
    Rowby1 said:
    I don't really have an interest in gigging, so getting a big amp would be a complete redundancy. 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17608
    tFB Trader
    Anything by Nux, Yamaha or Roland will sort you out.
  • GrampaGrampa Frets: 947
    I really like the Yamaha THR series. Had a 5, 10, 10C & 30. Strangely enough the 5 is the only one I've kept hold of, probably because it's simple, sounds absolutely awesome, and is small enough not to offend the eye of Grandma.
    My other passion is firearms! Does that make me a closet Redneck???
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7417
    THR are def worth trying. 

I think the Spark is nifty too. Have one in the front room. The accompanying app is handy. 
    Red ones are better. 
  • MentalSharpsMentalSharps Frets: 165
    VimFuego said:
    Rowby1 said:
    I don't really have an interest in gigging, so getting a big amp would be a complete redundancy. 
    What about for better sound/feel? Bigger amps can have better low end response at lower volumes.

And with a reactive attenuator or loadbox you can crank the power section for home practice too.
  • RickLucasRickLucas Frets: 401
    Super Champ X2 or XD, or plain old silverface Champ would get my vote..
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    VimFuego said:
    Rowby1 said:
    What about for better sound/feel? Bigger amps can have better low end response at lower volumes.

And with a reactive attenuator or loadbox you can crank the power section for home practice too.
    yeah, that's a good point.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • lovestrat74lovestrat74 Frets: 2526
    Buy my vox pathfinder perfect home amp with spring reverb and tremolo ;)
  • rlwrlw Frets: 4696
    Or my Blackstar Silverline Standard ….
    Save a cow.  Eat a vegetarian.
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7769
    edited June 2022
    Fender super champ is quite sweet as a base clean tone and to add pedals.

Line 6 Catalyst if you want something with amp models.
  • LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    Personally I think I would just get a nice wee simple amp  (probably, but not necessarily, valve) and a couple of pedals. 

I don't know what that would be right enough, I use an old WEM Westminster (and a Clubman) I got off ebay. 
    Personally I think I would just get a nice wee simple amp  (probably, but not necessarily, valve) and a couple of pedals. 

I don't know what that would be right enough, I use an old WEM Westminster (and a Clubman) I got off ebay. 
    it's not a bad idea. I've had modellers before, and I can be more than a little guilty of messing around with models and effects and not actually playing anything of any merit or benefit. The simplicity of a simple valve amp does appeal.

• LastMantraLastMantra Frets: 3822
    VimFuego said:

it's not a bad idea. I've had modellers before, and I can be more than a little guilty of messing around with models and effects and not actually playing anything of any merit or benefit. The simplicity of a simple valve amp does appeal.

They can certainly be lots of fun and might get you back into it better, but I do find you'll always get bored and end up just wanting a nice core sound. 
    If you buy second hand though I suppose you could just sell it on if you get bored. 

I don't know really  :3
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    rlw said:
    Or my Blackstar Silverline Standard ….
    I tried one recently and was surprised just how good it was.

Don’t, though, under any circumstances buy a Blackstar ID Core which is probably the worst-sounding amp I have ever heard.
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Pignose.
  • bertiebertie Frets: 13568
    Sassafras said:
    Pignose.
    noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo   fuckin horrid things

I had the little battery one that opens like a book,  fuck me makes a BJ sound like a marshal stack

THR vote from me,   old ones don't have b/tooth but you can connect via stereo 3.5mm jack  (or direct from laptop via usb)
    just because you don't, doesn't mean you can't
     just because you do, doesn't mean you should.
  • BlueingreenBlueingreen Frets: 2593
    I mainly use Fender-flavoured cleans or lightly overdriven sounds and really love the THR10C for that. Mine is 10 years old and when I compare the tones with similar ones on Helix they hold their own, in quality if not variety. I’ve money burning a hole in my pocket to upgrade it but I’m just never seeing anything that looks worth the extra spend.

Overdriven sounds are very good also but if you were a high gain player you’d want to look at other models.

“To a man with a hammer every problem looks like a nail.”