Squier CV Bass Tuners size .

musicalstashmusicalstash Frets: 53

Any ideas where to source a  replacement tuner for a Squier CV bass ?

I picked up a Squier jaguar bass but one the machineheads has snapped off at the head  , I ordered a set for a standard Squier but the holes do no align and it sits too low in the hole .

thanks

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24498
    email fender UK for the part number. Then you can make sure you are ordering the right thing.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24498
    Or stick a wanted ad on Basschat.

Someone will have one in a drawer somewhere.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14534
    edited June 2022
    It is a generic Korean or Chinese part. Even then, they come in varying quality. The Squier ones work well enough. I have a set on an old Höhner Professional that are stiffer. I have some removed from a broken Gear4Music bass that are terribly waggly. 

How much of the original Squier 'head survives? It might be possible to tap out the flat key plate and replace just that. 

It is probably easier to replace the key plate and shaft as one.

I need to check whether a G4M key and shaft fits a Squier backplate and gear wheel.

UPDATE:
    The Squier and G4M 'heads appear to be different in every critical respect. frown

Same gear ratio, different wheel sizes. Different baseplate outlines with the mounting screw holes spaced ever so slightly differently. The key plates look the same but the flanges on the shafts that locate them in the baseplates are spaced differently.

i.e. Somebody who has installed a Hipshot Xtender/D-Tuner device.

Alternatively, invest in a Hipshot BT7 detuner yourself. Use the original E 'head to replace your damaged one.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • It is a generic Korean or Chinese part. Even then, they come in varying quality. The Squier ones work well enough. I have a set on an old Höhner Professional that are stiffer. I have some removed from a broken Gear4Music bass that are terribly waggly. 

How much of the original Squier 'head survives? It might be possible to tap out the flat key plate and replace just that. 

It is probably easier to replace the key plate and shaft as one.

I need to check whether a G4M key and shaft fits a Squier backplate and gear wheel.

UPDATE:
    The Squier and G4M 'heads appear to be different in every critical respect. frown

Same gear ratio, different wheel sizes. Different baseplate outlines with the mounting screw holes spaced ever so slightly differently. The key plates look the same but the flanges on the shafts that locate them in the baseplates are spaced differently.

i.e. Somebody who has installed a Hipshot Xtender/D-Tuner device.

Alternatively, invest in a Hipshot BT7 detuner yourself. Use the original E 'head to replace your damaged one.
    Tried swapping over the key section  but sadly doesn't fit  .

The back of the tuners are stamped with what looks like fjn but cannot find any reference online, any one know the manufacturer?  

Sent Fender an email requesting a part number but still waiting for a reply. 

https://ibb.co/LJTLL4f
    FWIIW, I read the stamped logo as FJB. 

The Höhner and G4M 'heads mentioned in my earlier post have the same baseplate outline as your FJB one.

Squier VM ones do not. 

Disregard my suggestion of the Hipshot BT7. It would only fit after filling and redrilling of the mounting screw holes.
  • FWIIW, I read the stamped logo as FJB. 

The Höhner and G4M 'heads mentioned in my earlier post have the same baseplate outline as your FJB one.

Squier VM ones do not. 

Disregard my suggestion of the Hipshot BT7. It would only fit after filling and redrilling of the mounting screw holes.
    My mistake it's Squier classic Vibe Jaguar, I always get the models  mixed  up
    No need to apologise. You got the series right all along.

I referred to Squier CV basses because that is what I have in front of me for comparison and/or reference purposes.