Introduce Yourself

What's Hot
TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
edited August 2013 in New Members

Q1:  Where did you username come from?

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one?

[edit]
ChristophEar has created a Spotify playlist of all the #1 tracks
Everyone's #1 tracks.

And I just "stickied" this for as long as we've got lots of new rejoiners arriving!

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Emp_FabEmp_Fab Frets: 24209
    edited July 2013

Hi, I'm Emperor Fabulous, I'm 49 and from South Wales.  I'm married and have a small pug and a large goldfish.  My real name is Kev.  My dream is to travel the world and promote world peace (but only in a Learjet with a minibar).

(This editor is on the blink - weird fonts and spacing going on !)

Q1:  My username is from an Eddie Izzard routine from his 'Dress to Kill' tour where he refers to a flamboyant Roman emperor and said 'There should have been an Emperor Fabulous shouldn't there !'.  It is not, as I believe some may have misinterpreted in the past, a hint at being gay or some conceited opinion of myself as being a) in charge of anything <'Emperor'> or b) Fabulous <er... 'Fabulous'> !

Q2:  I am in South Wales, on the Gower peninsula to be precise.

Q3:  I don't really have any musical ambition anymore -- having spent decades in various bands that lasted a short while before imploding, I've kind of given up.  It would be nice to be in a regular gigging band though.
    When I was younger, I had this dream of playing a huge stadium gig, doing the solo to Whitesnake's "Is this love" with the hot breeze blowing through my hair-metal locks.

Q4:  My best bit of gear is my PRS Soapbar - lovely guitar.

Q5:  My #1 track ? - How can anyone pick just one ?!  I can't think of one right now, so I'm just going to pick the aforementioned Whitesnake track.  Probably because it reminds me of a particularly good time in my life.
    Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.
    Also chips are "Plant-based" no matter how you cook them.
  • Allo,

I'm Christopher, not quite 30, a Londoner born and raised - started South of the river but defected to North London a few years back...! I'm a techy at heart but music has always been my passion. A few years ago I quit my job to try to make a business of it, with a company called Easy Ear Training, focusing on using tech to make it fun and easy to develop your ear for music. I reckon it's a vital part which is missing from most music education these days, and certainly for me, music became a hell of a lot more fun once I started trying to hear how things worked rather than just read the music as written...

Questions:

Q1, username: My name is Christopher and I'm really into ear training. And also, I like puns.

Q2, location: London, UK

Q3, musical ambition: Right now I'm focused on learning slap bass. Not actually that into funk music, but love the slap style and want to get that tight fast rhythmic expression that slap allows.

Q4, best gear: It's not super-snazzy but I love my Yamaha 270 fretless bass.

Q5, #1 track: Can't answer that, but This Is My Jam can.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17485
    tFB Trader

Hello all I'm Nick and I'm one of the admins/developers on The Fretboard.

Q1, username:  It came from a conversation about staging Don Quixote with monkeys while watching an episode of Quantum Leap. I used to use it as a pseudonym for writing electronic music, but now it's just a word of my own invention and thus always available as a user name.

Q2, location: Bury St Edmunds, Suffolk - It's a great place to live. 

Q3, musical ambition: In my youth I did all the Camden scene trying to get signed stuff. Now I just want to be in a kick ass band and play a few shows. In terms of my playing I'd like to be able to get "outside" more in my playing.

Q4, best gear: Hmm that's a tough one my Tennessee Rose is the prettiest, and my battered strat means the most to me, but at the moment my ASAT Special gets the most play. 

Q5, Track: Bachelorette by Bjork - It doesn't even have any guitars on it!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27344
    edited August 2013

Q1, username:  When I originally registered on the other place, I'd just bought a new car ...

Q2, location:  Suffolk.  Nowhere near anywhere.  No even in the middle of nowhere.  It's great.

Q3, musical ambition:  To feel that I'm a good enough player that I'm happy playing in public again (it's been a long, long time).  Nothing hardcore, just for-fun gigs now and then.

Q4, best gear:  The guitar that I play most often, that's the easiest and most rewarding to play I guess.  My custom build from Mark Bailey.

Q5, #1 track:  Caroline, by Quo, live.  Simple no pretences, and you know that the next 90mins are going to be great fun.

Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27580
    Q1:  Where did you username come from? I can't remember. I think I might have stolen it from Lady BmH.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Surrey.

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?
    To not have to listen to anyone else's music on public transport.

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?
    My K2 CNC machine.

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Too Much Kissing by the Senseless Things. Possibly the best pop song ever recorded.

"[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • ddloopingddlooping Frets: 325
    edited August 2013
    Q1:  Where did you username come from? "dd" are my initials, "looping" was the name in France of the nutter in the A-Team.
    Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Chelmsford/Essex.
    Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? It was to have fun but it has changed slightly.
    Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? Don't have one yet.
    Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? "Kashmir" - Led Zeppelin.

• Have started a Spotify playlist for everyone's #1 tracks: 

It's collaborative so feel free to add/edit. Apologies for the Led Zep tribute :-S

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26453
    edited August 2013
    Q1:  Where did you username come from? A Queensryche song - Screaming in Digital (which was already taken on their original bulletin board, so I had to think of something else)
    Q2:  Where in the world/country are you? Stamford (a very nice place to live), near Peterborough (not).
    Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To get myself (preferably with a band) on a long tour. A pre-requisite of that is being rich, which wouldn't be so bad either.
    Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one? My main gigging guitar - Jaden Rose Series 2. There isn't a finer rock guitar around, as far as I'm concerned.
    Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? I'd still be picking one at the heat death of the universe, so I can't answer this. I'm pretty sure it'd be something from Operation:Mindcrime (Queensryche), though.
    <space for hire>
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33725

Q1:  octatonic is a name I've used on forums for years. It is another name for the diminished scale.

Q2:  Australian born Londoner.

Q3:  To keep working.

Q4:  Forshage Orion ergonomic electric guitar.

Q5:  "Anaesthetise" by Porcupine Tree.

• WezVWezV Frets: 16543
    Woo hoo - I'm in!!!

Q1:  Where did you username come from?  My name is Wesley Venables, eveyone either calls me Wez or Mr V

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?  I am in Burton on Trent

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition?to be able to play guitar one day

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?  My rebuilt John Birch les paul... still not quite there cosmetically, but now it has original pickups and is getting closer

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? difficult question, will need to revert to my 16 year old self for this.  Smashing Pumpkins - Bullet with butterfly wings

• RedRabbitRedRabbit Frets: 483

Q1:  It's the title of a book I was reading when I signed up to the old intermusic forums years ago.  Can't remember who the book was by now but the name stuck.

Q2:  Deep in Derbyshire's wonderful countryside

Q3:  To get the band gigging

Q4:  Nothing fancy - PRS SE singlecut

Q5:  Not really sure but I'll go with Layla as it's the song that made me pick up the guitar

Great effort you've put in here guys.  I'm looking forward to watching this place grow!

• VimFuegoVimFuego Frets: 15476

Q1. There was a chap on the old intermusic forum who had a sig from Comic Strips Bad News, which made me think of Vim Fuego, so that's how.

2, NW devon, not quite the middle of nowhere, but pretty much next door to it. We love the peace and quiet here.

3. To play one note (not fussed which one) all the way through without cocking it up.

4. Larrivee OM05. Came to me 2nd hand and I heart is in all sorts of wrong ways.

5. Beeswing by Richard Thompson I guess.

I'm not locked in here with you, you are locked in here with me.

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9983
    tFB Trader

Q1: I'm Ash ... been using 'The Guitar Weasel' for years ... and it has nothing at all to do with me once having been bitten by a radioactive WereWeasel!

Q2:  I'm in the good old East End of London ... but was born and raised on the Isle of Wight.

Q3:  To keep rocking as long as the hands hold out :) Then to make a pickup for God's Telecaster.

Q4:  Probably my Squire Modified Tele Custom ... I just keep going back to it.

Q5:  Any good old R&R ... She Does It Right by Dr Feelgood  does it for me.
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message  

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3062

Q1:  Erm.....

Q2:  Chandlers Ford, Hampshire.  Halfway between Southampton and WInchester.

Q3:  To eventually play a few more half decent gigs - if only I had the time.

Q4:  My 25 year old Charvel Model 4

Q5:  The Who's Magic Bus from Live At Leeds.   3:20 onwards is sonic heaven.

• siremoonsiremoon Frets: 1524

Q1:  I'm Simon.  The "sire" bit is the first two letters of my first and last name.  The "moon" part has nothing to do with exposing my generously proportioned backside rather it comes from someone at work who used to make loads of spelling mistakes in emails and referred to me as Simoon in one.  Mr Moon then became my nickname.

Q2:  Sutton, Surrey

Q3:  Just to get as good as I can at guitar.  I've only been playing 2 years

Q4:  Sunset metallic American Deluxe strat with MN

Q5:  Don't Look Back in Anger by Oasis

“He is like a man with a fork in a world of soup.” - Noel Gallagher
  • I'm ZenOvertone, daft name explained below, aged 47 juggling a busy career (was a "job" 20+ years before that mutated into a career like a lot of us I expect) with family & music plus working out my escape strategy by 55 (hopefully).

Q1:  Where did you username come from?  Silliness whilst suffering from a passing Dumble obsession Zen(drive)+Overtone(Special), fortunately this has passed and I no longer look at TGP or fret over fragile harmonics, G12-65's and oval shape ports.

Q2:  Where in the world/country are you?  North Kent

Q3:  What's your main musical ambition? To record a few fantasy albums of my favourite tracks to leave behind (working on this for a few months) and to get the power trio thing gigging (close now) and keep enjoying playing live with the other band. 

Q4:  Your "best" bit of gear - just the one?  A Deluxe Reverb from the 70's, all the amp you ever need. 

Q5:  Your #1 ever track - again, just the one? Changes week by week, this week it's "You're no good" (the Linda Ronstadt version) because I love playing the song live at the moment.

• vizviz Frets: 10644
    edited February 2014
    Q1 - been called Viz ever since the 80s, absolutely no idea how exactly it happened!

Q2 - live in Cambridge.

Q3 - I'd love to record an album of Rachmaninov songs in the style of Steve Vai. Alternatively an album of songs in each of the modes of the Persian scale. I have written the riff for the 4th mode here:

Q4 - best gear: my Callaghan guitars.

Q5 - Fave song: Probably For the love of God by Vai just because it opened up a whole new world for me when I first heard it.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

I'm Mike, my surname starts with an L, hence............

I'm in Cambridgeshire, St Ives to be accurate.

Musical ambition?, To play to an audience with no jazz notes......

Best bit of gear? Hard to say, all my gear is awesomes.....

No1 track? hard to say, but without Iron Maidens Hallowed be thy name, I doubt I'd have picked up a guitar........

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Q1. Due to a chronic lack of imagination, my username is my name... Q2. Manchester Q3. My main musical ambition is to record an album's worth of material that I happy with Q4. My 1964 Gibson ES335 Q5. 'Hurt in Your Heart' by John Martyn (though the answer to this would probably be different tomorrow....)
  • horsehorse Frets: 1563
    1) Same username from MR - I just needed to think of something when I originally joined. Didn't post often, but visited most days.
    2) Nottingham
    3) Less GAS / more actual playing
    4) Best bit of gear changes depending on mood, but I'm rather keen on guitars :-)
    5) Impossible to answer - my 'music acquisition syndrome' is worse than my GAS