Which film(s) do you think have the best/most satisfying stories?

What's Hot
axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
I just thought of this question as my daughter is watching one such film. Stardust, adapted from the Neil Gaiman book. It's a fairy tale, and it's such a superb plot, with so many parts to make up it's whole. An all star cast, and so many twists and turns. Quite brilliant.

The other one that really stick in my mind is the original Back to the future. Such a wonderfully thought out time travel venture. Without wanting to give anything away (I'm sure everyone has seen it!), the scene with Biff towards the end gives me a lump in the throat/slightly teary eye every time I see it. It's a great story, and Michael J Fox, Christopher Lloyd and Crispin Glover all excel.

In my mind two perfect and totally satisfying stories.

Got any faves?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• munckeemunckee Frets: 12354
    LA Confidential is a great story and an all time great film. Shawshank redemption also springs to mind. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    The Notebook
    Dirty Rotten Scoundrels
    Love Actually 

my 3 favourite films
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • BillDLBillDL Frets: 7217
    Whenever I'm feeling really down and need a good laugh to perk me up I put on The Green Mile  ;)

My all time favourite for "best/most satisfying stories" is Forrest Gump.  The way the movie weaves his character into real life events that some of us remember and most of us recall seeing in newsreels is absolutely brilliant story writing.  Tom Hanks is a fantastic actor.  One minute he has you gulping and shedding tears and the next minute he has you smiling and laughing.  The way the movie goes full circle and ends on a happy (perhaps a better word would be contented) note, gives it a feeling of completeness.  I don't like movies that leave you hanging.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22798
    edited June 2022
    It's difficult to avoid simply listing favourite films, or what we think are the "best" films, and we've done all that before.

But the question made me think of films which are really well-paced, and just tell their story very well without wasting a lot of time on irrelevant sub-plots or arty photography.  Here's a few of mine.  A bit of a random selection:

The Untouchables
    The Frighteners
    Hot Fuzz
    Black Book
    The Magnificent Seven
    The Boys From Brazil
    The Day of the Jackal
    Munich
    Lawrence of Arabia
    Zodiac
    Galaxy Quest

• RockerRocker Frets: 4981
    Out of Africa 

The Muppet Christmas Carol

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 4reaction image Wisdom
  • skunkwerxskunkwerx Frets: 6881
    Theres a film called ‘Nick & Norah’s infinite playlist’. 

My sister left it here when she moved out and one night I just put it on. 

It’s not gonna win awards but I liked the story. 
    Two people (Michael Cera and Kat Dennings) who both have/had shitty partners meet through music/ search for a band that plays secret gigs who is playing somewhere in the city that night. 

It makes me feel good lol.
    The only easy day, was yesterday...
  • sev112sev112 Frets: 2764
    +1 Forrest Gump
    Catch Me if You Can
    Little Miss Sunshine
    Silver Linings Playbook

• DesVegasDesVegas Frets: 4530
    I've never seen Forrest Gump..
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Bungle1Bungle1 Frets: 133
    The Departed
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    edited June 2022
    Amelie.
    Mic-Macs.
    Night of the Hunter.
    Fifth Element.
  • equalsqlequalsql Frets: 6110
    Angel -A
    Eternal Sunshine Of The Spotless Mind
    A Matter Of Life And Death
    Lost In Translation
    Before Sunrise
    A Canterbury Tale
    Amelie
    (pronounced: equal-sequel)   "I suffered for my art.. now it's your turn"
  • vizviz Frets: 10693
    Fargo and Inception
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    Two films stand out for me. Tombstone for its rugged acting, storyline that rarely veers from the plot and immense quotability.
    The other being Stand By Me for sheer immersiveness in that bygone era of the American mid-West, whether it existed or not. Stories of chilhood friends and growing up. And a song that I cant quite place....
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    Peanut Butter Falcon
    The Lives of Others
    The Man Who Would be King
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • OffsetOffset Frets: 11664
    Shawshank

No Country For Old Men

A Matter Of Life And Death
  • DominicDominic Frets: 16095
    BillDL said:
    Whenever I'm feeling really down and need a good laugh to perk me up I put on The Green Mile  ;)

My all time favourite for "best/most satisfying stories" is Forrest Gump.  The way the movie weaves his character into real life events that some of us remember and most of us recall seeing in newsreels is absolutely brilliant story writing.  Tom Hanks is a fantastic actor.  One minute he has you gulping and shedding tears and the next minute he has you smiling and laughing.  The way the movie goes full circle and ends on a happy (perhaps a better word would be contented) note, gives it a feeling of completeness.  I don't like movies that leave you hanging.
    I must agree
    Forrest Gump is a wonderful film .I forgot to add that as an all time favourite.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3201
    What Dreams May Come. Loved Robin Williams even more than ever when he took the serious/non-comedic roles. Just a beautiful, but sad story. 
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    Good call on Forrest Gump, a fascinating film. I get a tear in my eye every time I watch it and he saves all those guys in the vietnam war. Tom Hanks is an amazing actor, and one of the nicest guys ever.
  • The Prestige
  • Fishboy7Fishboy7 Frets: 2198
    Human centipede 
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom