Album: Riding with the King

What's Hot
RockerRocker Frets: 4982
Simple question: is the BB King/Eric Clapton album ‘Riding with the King’ a good album? Thanks 
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. [Albert Einstein]

Nil Satis Nisi Optimum

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• vasselmeyervasselmeyer Frets: 3672
    No. Both have done much better work individually (try "Live at the Regal" for BB King and you can take you pick of Clapton eras). I think it was a nice thing for Clapton to do with a blues legend, but to be honest, they were both way past their best when they made this album and they're just phoning it in.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11448
    I like it.

It's on Youtube if you want to listen to it before deciding whether to buy it.
  • LewyLewy Frets: 4201
    edited June 2022
    The best that can be said of it is that it will have put a few quid in John Hiatt's pocket. Apart from that, it's pretty pedestrian imo. I bought when it came out and it's just one of those albums where you listen to it a couple of times and then conclude that there's little to be gained from listening to it again.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • EvanEvan Frets: 326
    Not a patch on John Hiatt’s version.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • DB1DB1 Frets: 5025
    It's subjective of course, but I'm a big BB King fan and have the record, but don't listen to it. It's not one of my favourites by any means.
    Call me Dave.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3072
    It's alright.. iirc Simon Climie of 80s popsters Climie Fisher produced with Doyle Bramhall II having some Jellycream era songs featured. 

It sounds v. Protoolsy to me for a blues album.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• DefaultMDefaultM Frets: 7326
    I got it from cash converters probably 15 years ago, thought it was a snooze fest and never listened again.
  • timmypixtimmypix Frets: 2394
    Very middle of the road - harmless, but not exciting either.
    Tim
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    Eric's collaboration with JJ Cale, Road to Escondido is far better IMHO
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • DrumBobDrumBob Frets: 198
    Meh. I bought it because it was B.B. and Eric, but it's nothing special, IMO. I played it twice and put it away. I should trade it in at the used record store, but they'd give me perhaps $1.00 for it. 
    USA Guitarist/Drummer, semi-pro working musician, music journalist, author, radio DJ. 
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11295
    I only listened to it a couple of times but what struck me was that Clapton's voice sounded great but BB's really didn't. 
  • Devil#20Devil#20 Frets: 1937
    I'm glad I'm not alone in thinking it's nothing special then. Played it a few times when I first got it years ago and it's never seen the light of day since. 

Ian

Lowering my expectations has succeeded beyond my wildest dreams.

• It’s alright - too relaxed, no tension, no excitement - haven’t revisited. 
  • LoobsLoobs Frets: 3832
    Good album for the bin 
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ArchtopDaveArchtopDave Frets: 1368
    edited June 2022
    Whilst I haven't played it for quite a while, I do have a soft spot for it. There was time when I played it a lot, and it was the album that solved my prior problem of "not getting" B B King.

I saw B B King play live in either 1967 or '68, and, whilst I appreciated his guitar playing as such, I just could not get my head around ( given the times then) with a fat man in a shiny suit fronting a band that included brass instruments. The support act was Sonny Terry and Brownie McGhee, who I preferred.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24274
    It's just a bit dull really.

I excited when it came out and did enjoy listening for the first time but it now lives unloved in a box somewhere.

• robertyroberty Frets: 10893
    I bought it for my dad at Christmas. I suppose in that sense it did its job
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24803
    I think EC played it very safe on this one - probably out of deference towards BB - but the resulting album isn’t what you’d probably hope for if you’re fans of either.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • YorkieYorkie Frets: 1499
    edited June 2022
    It’s a 3/5 album that gets a bit boring after Key to the Highway. But at least it’s a Blues album. 

My introduction to BB King was through his ‘Deuces Wild’ album, and that put me off for years… also amazing how badly these ‘celebrity duets’ albums age. Not an unrealistic find at your average charity shop. 

Then years later I found my late father’s vinyl copy of Live at the Regal. 

Jon
    Adopted northerner with Asperger syndrome. I sometimes struggle with empathy and sarcasm – please bear with me.   
    My trading feedback: https://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/210335/yorkie

• EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16294
    My memory of it is a couple of good tracks plus filler. 

For Clapton playing blues From the Cradle. 

For BB King probably a live album, Indianola Mississippi Seeds or for something a bit more left of centre Midnight Believer.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell.