Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Wah wah what?

What's Hot
Duppy03Duppy03 Frets: 105
My old faithful Crybaby has been on my pedal board for over 20 years now and I think it's on it's last legs. I could be time to replace it, I think it's messing with my tone by thinning it out or making it quite scratchy and trebly (when it's not on).

What would people recommend as a high quality Wah to replace it? Something similar sound wise would be great.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 31252
    edited September 2014
    Vertex.

I mean BBE.

(seriously, the CAE MXR wah and if yu PM me I may have one for sale)

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I might be alone here but I would say the sound quality of the crybaby wasn't very good. 
    I personally wouldn't look for a higher quality version of the same thing, I would go for a different pedal. 

My personal favourites are the Ibanez Weeping Demon and Tech 21 Killer wail. 
    Both can be had for under £50 and they are panzer tank tough. 

If you are flush check out the CAE MXR, BBE, (possibly the bad horise?) RMC
    The Bigsby was the first successful design of what is now called a whammy bar or tremolo arm, although vibrato is the technically correct term for the musical effect it produces. In standard usage, tremolo is a rapid fluctuation of the volume of a note, while vibrato is a fluctuation in pitch. The origin of this nonstandard usage of the term by electric guitarists is attributed to Leo Fender, who also used the term “vibrato” to refer to what is really a tremolo effect.
  • GassageGassage Frets: 31252
    If you want it I have a CAE/MXR for £100 shipped.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

• Weeping Demon FTW. If you don't have enough space on your board and don't need to do the cocked-wah thing (ie you're happy to use the wah when it's sprung and switchless), go for the Weeping Demon Jr.

Best wah ever, IMO.
    <space for hire>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Why not just get your crybaby repaired/modded if you still basically like it?
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Gonna echo the weeping demon suggestions. Much better than crybabies imo, more control over the sound and the wider sweep range makes it alot more articulate (unless all you wanna do is waka waka). But I've never had CAE.
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    CAE wah does it all

but go into a store and try a new crybaby you might like it!

Don't buy new with them though, really overpriced compared with the SH market
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17942
    tFB Trader
    I love the CAE Wah. 

The Weeping Demon Jr is very good, but better suited to metal so it depends what you want.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73156
    Duppy03 said:
    My old faithful Crybaby has been on my pedal board for over 20 years now and I think it's on it's last legs. I could be time to replace it, I think it's messing with my tone by thinning it out or making it quite scratchy and trebly (when it's not on).

What would people recommend as a high quality Wah to replace it? Something similar sound wise would be great.

True bypass mod and possibly a new pot if it's scratchy when it's on as well.

Less expensive than a new wah, and keeps the sound you like when it's on. There's nothing wrong with the standard Cry Baby circuit at all.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I've owned a BBE wah for years, even before Vertex started helping with the marketing for them! Tonally my nicest wah...
  • I went through a bunch of wah's...the CAE was the best...I sold it...I regretted it...and recently bought one again!
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700

Another Crybaby?

Or for a change, without a change, both the EVH and Kirk Hammett crybabys are very good, but different flavours to standard.

Vox wahs are also good for an alternative to a crybaby.

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17942
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    True bypass mod and possibly a new pot if it's scratchy when it's on as well.

Less expensive than a new wah, and keeps the sound you like when it's on. There's nothing wrong with the standard Cry Baby circuit at all.
    Completely agree with this. 

The CAE doesn't really sound any different to a standard Crybaby it just has some useful extra features and a different sound in addition to the standard one.

• The CAE doesn't really sound any different to a standard Crybaby it just has some useful extra features and a different sound as well.
    Not to be nit-picky, but...huh? Do you mean it has an option to switch to a different voicing?
    <space for hire>
  • FelineGuitarsFelineGuitars Frets: 11773
    tFB Trader
    I have the CAE which is awesome 
    I have the Vox handwired which is fab

I'm keen on the BBE and would like to try the RMC8 with the EQ

I made the BYOC and it was good but never got the sound nailed I had in my head
    The standard Crybaby is ok - very functional but a bit dull
    The 535Q was better but I didn't end up keeping it..

Many guitars have a re-sale value. Some you'll never want to sell.
    Stockist of: Earvana & Graphtech nuts, Faber Tonepros & Gotoh hardware, Fatcat bridges. Highwood Saddles.

Pickups from BKP, Oil City & Monty's pickups.

Expert guitar repairs and upgrades - fretwork our speciality! www.felineguitars.com.  Facebook too!

• AlnicoAlnico Frets: 4616
    Weeping Demon FTW. If you don't have enough space on your board and don't need to do the cocked-wah thing (ie you're happy to use the wah when it's sprung and switchless), go for the Weeping Demon Jr.

Best wah ever, IMO.

I had one I used to use on stage, unbelievably brilliant in every way.

Buying another one soon - only place left that stocks them is Thomann. £88 !!!

The Junior is in at GAK and is still very good but the big one is so adjustable and expressive, it really is just amazing.

• DeijavooDeijavoo Frets: 3299
    No love for the AMT? 

• I made the BYOC and it was good but never got the sound nailed I had in my head

I'm a BYOC user. I love mine, but obviously it'll depend on what the sound in your head is. For me it was extra-throaty, Q-heavy Vox wah, which it does very nicely. 
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • I love the weeping demon - best wah ever.

I use a Bad Horsie at the moment, which is great but doesn't sound anything like a traditional wah.  It's really bloody good, though, and doesn't get nasty at the top of the sweep like classic voiced stuff.  

If you like yours though, get it fixed.  Anything else will probably be a bit different.

If you want to buy another vintagey wah, look into the BBE - folk who bought the vertex thought it was amazing, some thought it was the best vintage voiced wah ever.  
  • Deijavoo;345214" said:
    No love for the AMT? 
    I had one for along time between selling my CAE and re-buying the CAE...it was ok but just didnt do it for me. Not sure if it was the tone or just the feel, but i found myself not using wah at all.