Download on Sky Arts

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• RobDaviesRobDavies Frets: 3102
    DiscoStu said:
    I was a total metaller in my youth, especially thrash, and I went to a pile of gigs including Monsters of Rock.
    I felt disconnected last night watching this for sure. I guess I'm old! I was aware of Skindred back in the day but they weren't really my thing but on the tellybox they really stood out. Benji's the boy, eh?
    I'm a massive Biffy fan and they always deliver though. 
    I still consider myself to be a ‘metaller’ now - albeit a fifty one year old one.   But I don’t see much of Download being metal…. And I’ll be buggered if I’m standing in a field of piss for ten hours just to get a glimpse of Maiden from half a mile away.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • JonathangusJonathangus Frets: 5055
    You get both types of music at Download - rock and metal.  It's never been just about the latter.

And FWIW, I thought Maiden were as good as I've ever seen them.
    Trading feedback | How to embed images using Imgur

As for "when am I ready?"  You'll never be ready.  It works in reverse, you become ready by doing it.  - pmbomb

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    BGG said:
    Philly_Q said:
    BGG said:
    Laughing at KISS now, obvious autotune on the vocals.
    Hell of a show, though.
    Not a patch on Rammstein ;)
    KISS shows just don't seem as big as they used to, and they started it all.
    KISS were never big here. I remember them playing the Echo arena about decade ago and they'd sold less than a thousand tickets. The had a team all over the city giving tickets to anyone who looked vaguely interested to fill seats. It was embarrassing, but thats the KISS way. I assume thats what the KISS machine does every European show. 
     They did Dubai (last?) new year. Billed as biggest new year show in history, '1 billion people watching worldwide'. There was about 500 people there and probably a few thousand on PPV. They are Rocks Donald Trump.        
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 953
    Love early Iron Maiden, think they're a bit too polished now for me if that makes any sense ,nothing wrong with that though, they are first class musicians.
    my favourite so far was Black Label Society.
    Never been a fan of Kiss but the crowd seemed to enjoy it, suppose it was  better there than on tv.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Watched a bit of Kiss and Maiden on YouTube. Going on in daylight seemed to cut a lot of the impact. 
    Lot of hair dye in the Maiden camp. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    scrumhalf said:
    I caught a few minutes of I don't know who, but there was a female vocalist in her underwear and a guitarist growling vocals. I switched channels after about 60 seconds. 
    That would have been 'Wargasm'.

Wargasm UK. Wargasm were a much better band. 
  • ReverendReverend Frets: 5409
    I watched a bit of this. Maiden sounded great as ever. Steve is looking old but then Maiden played their first gig 46 years ago and not many bands of their age have anything like that much energy.#

Wargasm UK were pretty bad, and they are more backing tapes than live band. 
  • CaseOfAceCaseOfAce Frets: 1558
    At what point in Maiden's career did Bruce start doing that Peter Gabriel / Shakespeare in the park Bowie stuff... ? I'm surprised Steve Harris let's him get away with that!  =)

Interesting night's viewing last night - I was switching between Download and Wireless festival on the telly. 
    As someone who is no more than a casual observer / fan of metal - and virtually oblivious of American urban music it was fascinating to view the differences in the crowds, music and performances.
    ...she's got Dickie Davies eyes...
  • scrumhalfscrumhalf Frets: 11680
    Reverend said:
    scrumhalf said:
    I caught a few minutes of I don't know who, but there was a female vocalist in her underwear and a guitarist growling vocals. I switched channels after about 60 seconds. 

To be fair a bunch of sugared-up seven year-olds banging tin trays and screaming would have been a better band. But tastes differ. 
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    Watched a bit of Kiss and Maiden on YouTube. Going on in daylight seemed to cut a lot of the impact. 
    There was, wasn't there?  Fair enough, they've still got hair, but they're at that old-man stage where it goes all dry and straw-like... I call it "dead hair".
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16667
    Philly_Q said:
    There was, wasn't there?  Fair enough, they've still got hair, but they're at that old-man stage where it goes all dry and straw-like... I call it "dead hair".
    When your hair doesn’t match your skin tone and you just look cadaverous. Not much of an issue seen from the back of a field but Harris is slowly morphing into Eddie. You’d think he could afford a stylist by now. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • prowlaprowla Frets: 5119
    I thought Kiss were fun, though the drawn-out ends of the songs lasted longer than the songs proper. 
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 25567
    BGG said:
    Loved Maiden in the 80’s, the Dianno years and early Bruce years. 
    Find them a bit cringey now with Bruce, it’s like a big choreographed pantomime. And Janick Gers gets on me tripe , messy player and just runs about like a knacker. 
    One one hand I really like that Maiden didn't fire him just because Smith wanted to come back. That was classy.

On the other, it would be nice if they turned him down a bit!

I’m so bored I might as well be listening to Pink Floyd

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Reverend said:
    scrumhalf said:

I thought I remembered a band of that name from quite a long time ago.

• lustycourtierlustycourtier Frets: 3500
    Ive just found out Glen Matlocks son is in Wargasm. Suddenly makes sense. 
    Reverend said:
    scrumhalf said:

I thought I remembered a band of that name from quite a long time ago.
    ah-ha!

Went looking through my racks.

I have the "Ugly" CD. Not listened to that for years.

• Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 25109
    PhilW1 said:

They were alright, but why does Zakk keep jumping up on that little picnic table whenever he's not singing?  It took me a couple of minutes to notice, but once I had I couldn't get over how ridiculous it was.
  • PhilW1PhilW1 Frets: 953
    Philly_Q said:
    PhilW1 said:

They were alright, but why does Zakk keep jumping up on that little picnic table whenever he's not singing?  It took me a couple of minutes to notice, but once I had I couldn't get over how ridiculous it was.
    Haha! I thought that too, it was a bit disconcerting with the kilt an all.