Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Neeeew Guitaaaar!

What's Hot

Comments

• RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12023
    It's a cosmetic thing, totally up to the user, the guitar doesn't sound any better.

My custom 24 with a 10-top.

0reaction image LOL 4reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20;354262" said:
    What do you guys think of "10 tops"? Are they really worth the extra? 
    Just marketing. The idea is it guarantees a good looking top, but it doesn't mean better than a regular line, and it doesn't mean a better guitar - it is purely a cosmetic guarantee.

Much more important to judge a guitar on comfort, resonance and plugged in sound imo.

I'd take it for a pro setup. If you've paid that much money for a guitar, frankly, I'd have expected the shop to do it. As they haven't you're still in a situation where you've got a very expensive guitar you're not totally happy with - I'd get it sorted, it'll be a much better experience for you.

You can put 9s on, some folk prefer lights. My chosen gauge is 10-54 for drop c, so the high strings are pretty low tension. However, again, it might need a set up.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Nice, Raymond, nice!! 

I must go back to a shop to check the difference between 10 top and non-10-top because I'm sure you can get non-10-tops that look pretty amazing (might be one "dead spot" somewhere). 
  • My Experience 59/09 with Private Stock one piece top & rosewood neck

http://i.imgur.com/t6hoUiD.jpg

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Loving these photos!!!
  • How far can you push the tremolo on these - I'm scared of taking the bar all the way to the body..!

I was playing my Torero earlier - still like it... said I'd sell it but not sure now :D
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17839
    tFB Trader
    I give mine plenty of welly and it seems to be fine.

A 10 top just means it's considered the top 10% of the wood in the PRS store. 

As Lee Anderton mentioned in one of his videos if you look around you can find an 11 top i.e. something that just squeaked outside of making the cut, but costs a big chunk less money.
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited September 2014
    Thanks! So... you've taken the bar all the way to the body... :o Braver than I!
    You guys gig these guitars considering how much they cost? Made to be played!
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23526
    edited September 2014
    thomasross20 said: You guys gig these guitars considering how much they cost? Made to be played!

I don't see why you shouldn't, but if you think you may move it on one day it does seem that a high percentage of PRS collectors like their guitars to be absolutely pristine.  I'm not saying they're all like that, but it's more noticeable than with, say, Gibson or Fender.

I know a guy who owns some very high end PRS guitars, Private Stock stuff, and gigs with them.  But he has found it hard to sell those guitars because they have a few scuffs and dings.

I can see both sides of it to some extent.  I personally love relic guitars and they're what I'm most likely to buy nowadays, but when I do have a new, mint guitar I'm very paranoid about getting that first scratch or dent on it.  I guess I'm a bit OCD but if I see a nearly mint guitar, with maybe a couple of chips on the edge of the body or the corner of the headstock, those details really prey on my mind.  Better to go for the full relic job!  But I don't think PRS guitars in general lend themselves to the relic look - maybe partly because we're used to seeing beaten up 50-year-old Gibsons and Fenders but no-one really owns a PRS like that.
  • Agreed on all of that. Probably means I'll never sell the thing. To be honest, selling a guitar is such a pain nowadays anyway!
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 12023
    Philly_Q said:
    You guys gig these guitars considering how much they cost? Made to be played!

I don't see why you shouldn't, but if you think you may move it on one day it does seem that a high percentage of PRS collectors like their guitars to be absolutely pristine.  I'm not saying they're all like that, but it's more noticeable than with, say, Gibson or Fender.

I know a guy who owns some very high end PRS guitars, Private Stock stuff, and gigs with them.  But he has found it hard to sell those guitars because they have a few scuffs and dings.

I can see both sides of it to some extent.  I personally love relic guitars and they're what I'm most likely to buy nowadays, but when I do have a new, mint guitar I'm very paranoid about getting that first scratch or dent on it.  I guess I'm a bit OCD but if I see a nearly mint guitar, with maybe a couple of chips on the edge of the body or the corner of the headstock, those details really prey on my mind.  Better to go for the full relic job!  But I don't think PRS guitars in general lend themselves to the relic look - maybe partly because we're used to seeing beaten up 50-year-old Gibsons and Fenders but no-one really owns a PRS like that.
    It's the entire image thing. Gibson and Fender has been round so long you get real relics of the thing before PRS himself made his first guitar in his garage.  Add to the fact that PRS made a point of making them more bling to begin with than anything else makes all the imperfection stands out more.  

It depends if you ever have plans to sell it or whether you are a player or collector.  I play both of mine, already ding one of them against a lamp shade :/ but it's just one of those things.  And if you ever need it looking brand new again, you can send it to PTC for a touch up.  Will cost a fortune, not something you do if you want to sell but an option to make it looking like new if you want to keep it.
  • :) I reckon I wont be selling this one. 
    I've got to admit... I'm still lusting for the Suhr Pro S4 as well :o
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4438
    edited September 2014
    Not that I'm going to, but....

Add on postage and it's just under £1.6k which is a  lot less than getting one from the UK. What's the catch other than not being able to play it directly?

I'm going to try some Squier classic vibes tomorrow (day off) - there must be something similar at a lower price point.
  • The catch? 25% vat & import duty, maybe?
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 23526
    Yep, you're getting close to £2,000 by the time it actually reaches you.  

I don't know how that compares with the UK price?  I've never taken much interest in Suhrs.

• £1.86k in UK. 
  • Gah - everything about this is still great BUT.... I noticed tonight that if I do a lot of bending or whammy use, some strings go sharp/flat by 1-3 notches on a Snark tuner. It's enough that I can notice it. The strings are the ones from the shop and in decent condition, I think.. Maybe I should change the strings and try some "nut sauce" but I didn't think that'd be needed with such an expensive instrument with the Phase III locking tuners! Other than that, it's still a joy - but this is a niggle!!
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17839
    edited September 2014 tFB Trader
    It's clearly not set up properly especially as you said it was buzzing. Take it back to the shop and get them to sort it out. A bad setup on a guitar that price is unforgivable.

I don't even bother to tune my PRS when I get it out of the case at practice because it's just always in tune and I use the trem a reasonable amount. It should be rock solid.

Also I love reliced looking PRS. I like to know they've had a life. The previous owner of my PRS gigged it so much he wore through the plating on the trem :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Right. I'll do it.
    I'm at a loss as to what it could be, though, to make the tuning go out (it's not major, but slightly noticeable)!
  • Made contact regarding a (proper) set-up of the PRS but it's a 1-2 week turnaround - is that normal? 
    I'm thinking about just getting the standard set-up kit off StewMac (radius gauges and everything) and doing it myself.