Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New U2 album

What's Hot
stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 27748
edited September 2014 in Music
Surprise from the Apple conf. I'm downloading now. Thoughts once I've listened a couple of times.

To quote Bono; "We've actually made several albums over the last 5 years, we just haven't released any of them..."

It's free to anyone with iTunes until October something-th. You have to look in your Library though, not the iTunes store. Bit weird. Trying to push people towards having music in iCloud I guess.
The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Major WTF?! moment!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I shan't be wasting the bandwidth.

Oh plus I don't have an iTunes account or software.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Just downloaded it, had a quick listen. Sounds quite accessible, more instant than the last one (not necessarily a good thing, mind)...Look forward to a proper listen during tomorrow's commute.

• Nope? I had to go on the iTunes Store to download. 

I don't really like U2 but y'know as I've said in other threads regarding strings and other things, you take what you can get for free ;) I'm willing to give it a chance. It's probably a heap better than some of the other rubbish that gets out there on the radio. ;) 
    Music the great communicator, use two sticks to make it in the nature - a music reviews blog: http://usetwosticks.wordpress.com/
  • Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    Sounds overpriced to me...
    5reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • I've searched iTunes but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
    18reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RoxRox Frets: 2147
    To quote Bono; "We've actually made several albums over the last 5 years, we just haven't released any of them..."
    Is that a threat?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    I've searched iTunes but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
    lol

If you're not just being funny, go to iTunes preferences, enable 'show iTunes in the Cloud purchases', then look in your music library - you should find a new U2 album called Songs Of Innocence. Click the download button on each song and wait for them to load, then (if you don't want to keep it on) disable the Cloud function again.

I haven't listened to it yet, but will tomorrow.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    I listened last night on headphones with some trepidation before I went to sleep. It's surprised me, quite a departure. Lots of vocal harmonies, processed drums, dirty mixes and some quite scutzy fuzz guitar in places. Wonder what amps/pedals were used...
  • Just the bits on Radio 2 this morning ( clips and one complete song). Sounds like U2, can't imagine it changing anybody's opinion on them.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • EricTheWeary;347827" said:
    Just the bits on Radio 2 this morning ( clips and one complete song). Sounds like U2, can't imagine it changing anybody's opinion on them.
    I don't suppose it's about changing the minds of those who don't like the band - it probably more about turning on their (very large) original fan-base.

Up to (and including) Achtung Baby - I was quite a fan. I've down-loaded the album this morning and will listen to it in the car today.

I'd love to be able to post that it's fantastic and the best thing they've done since The Joshua Tree.

We'll see....
  • Dave_Mc;347676" said:
    =))

So it's called Songs of Innocence eh? Does this mean they've set William Blake's poems to music? If they have then for once they'll have some decent lyrics.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    I heard the tracks on Chris Evans' show this morning.

Dull. Seriously, they are so samey its not funny - plus you can't help thinking "they've done *that* before and it was better first time around" for all of the tracks.
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• EricTheWeary;347827" said:
    Just the bits on Radio 2 this morning ( clips and one complete song). Sounds like U2, can't imagine it changing anybody's opinion on them.
    I don't suppose it's about changing the minds of those who don't like the band - it probably more about turning on their (very large) original fan-base.

Up to (and including) Achtung Baby - I was quite a fan. I've down-loaded the album this morning and will listen to it in the car today.

I'd love to be able to post that it's fantastic and the best thing they've done since The Joshua Tree.

We'll see....
    yes, sort of instant addition to the back catalogue rather than some kind of new direction. I'm not a particular fan nor do I particularly dislike them  but after a five year gap perhaps something other than ' won't alienate the fan base' might have been expected. 

Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    I'll give it a go later.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• I've searched iTunes but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
    Have you tried looking Where The Tracks Have No Name?
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • The first 6 or so songs are seriously trite. Bono's voice and poor lyrics don't help, nor does Autopilot-Edge.

Then it gets a bit more interesting, with Raised By Wolves sounding like something that could almost have been on Boy. Didn't quite make it to the end of the album before I got to work, so it may tail off again, but so far it sounds like tracks 7 onwards are where it's at.

Early days, I hated No Line..when I first heard it, but we'll see...

Sounds like a stop-gap album as if there's a 'proper' new album waiting in the wings somewhere.

• imaloneimalone Frets: 748
    Might give it a listen if they can see their way to releasing it on a non-hipster format. Looking at the release announcement itunes only at the minute and then vinyl on 13th.
  • LevLev Frets: 228
    Just finished listening, it's all rather dreary really. I've been a big fan of U2 over the years but the last few albums have been a bit lackluster. All that You Can't Leave Behind was their last great album IMHO.

There is no Guitar Riff driven song on this record either which had become a regular fixture on recent records (Beautiful Day, Vertigo, Get on Your Boots).
  • LixartoLixarto Frets: 1618
    Skarloey said:
    Dave_Mc;347676" said:
    =))

So it's called Songs of Innocence eh? Does this mean they've set William Blake's poems to music? If they have then for once they'll have some decent lyrics.
    If that is the case, I think we know what they next album will be called.
    "I can see you for what you are; an idiot barely in control of your own life. And smoking weed doesn't make you cool; it just makes you more of an idiot."