Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

New U2 album

What's Hot

Comments

• Dave_McDave_Mc Frets: 2390
    I've searched iTunes but I still haven't found what I'm looking for.
    hahahahahaha
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Lixarto said:
    Skarloey said:
    Dave_Mc;347676" said:
    Sounds overpriced to me...
    =))

So it's called Songs of Innocence eh? Does this mean they've set William Blake's poems to music? If they have then for once they'll have some decent lyrics.
    If that is the case, I think we know what they next album will be called.
    Yup. They're going to buck a trend and have a go next at Blake's late work "Jerusalem: The Emanation of the Giant Albion". 

In fact in true Bono fashion I've heard rumours that it will be a concept album, merging the works of William Blake with a tour diary of West Bromwich Albion's pre-season tour to Isreal. 

1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Skarloey said:

Yup. They're going to buck a trend and have a go next at Blake's late work "Jerusalem: The Emanation of the Giant Albion". 

In fact in true Bono fashion I've heard rumours that it will be a concept album, merging the works of William Blake with a tour diary of West Bromwich Albion's pre-season tour to Isreal. 

See, that I'd buy...
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • And just to show they've got a sense of humour, they're going to subtitle this Israeli-Black Country concept album "Oy Vey Babby". 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    I've listened to it twice so far and it's… OK. I think.

I agree that there don't seem to be any really new ideas, or great standout songs. I like some of the newer sounds, and it's not positively bad… but as yet I think it's a place holder rather than the big new album everyone's been waiting for since All That You Can't Leave Behind. That said, the last two grew on me despite similar first impressions.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• impmannimpmann Frets: 12723
    ICBM said:
    I think it's a place holder rather than the big new album everyone's been waiting for since All That You Can't Leave Behind. 
    So what you are saying is they are treading water...
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• paulkpaulk Frets: 318
    It was there stinking up my cloud in iTunes this morning. Straight to the bin. If I want your shite Apple Boner I'll get it myself.
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    I can describe it in one word .. shite. Pretentious lyrics and too many safe pedestrian songs. Songs like Bono's been spending too much time with Chris Martin ....

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • frankusfrankus Frets: 4719

To quote Bono; "We've actually made several albums over the last 5 years, we just haven't released any of them..."
    I know people accuse Bono of mythomania and that his charity organisation is corrupt and that he was asked to stop making charity fund raising events as they cost too much and meant no other charities got backing or publicity...

But if that man has stopped U2 albums being released he's alright in my books.
    A sig-nat-eur? What am I meant to use this for ffs?! Is this thing recording?
  • Fretwired said:
    I can describe it in one word .. shite. Pretentious lyrics and too many safe pedestrian songs. Songs like Bono's been spending too much time with Chris Martin ....
    Bono, pretentious lyrics? Surely not?
  • MDKVMDKV Frets: 56
    Rather dull radio friendly rock music for people that don't like rock music. Production is quite flat but I guess that's what people expect these days....
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24602
    Ha ha .. the biggest album launch in history has backfired .. millions of people have taken to Twitter to complain about finding the album on their iPhone .. I can see Apple having to take it down ..

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!

• Fretwired said:
    Ha ha .. the biggest album launch in history has backfired .. millions of people have taken to Twitter to complain about finding the album on their iPhone .. I can see Apple having to take it down ..

..and having now listened to it I am firmly of the opinion that it's even less listenable than an automated cold call informing me that I may have a claim for PPI. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Ive been listening today while at work (its busy here and Ive been writing reports so headphones are a good way of isolating myself from the office).  Its not a radical departure from the last couple of albums. Im a U2 fan so would probably have bought it therefore getting it as a freeby is a bonus.  

Its OK if you like U2 and Ill probably listen to it a few times.  Nothing leaping out though.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 73055
    Fretwired said:
    I did think it was a particularly stupid way of releasing it. Simply putting it on the iTunes Store as a free download would have been much more sensible.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• OK missed this discussion here. Should be moved to Music rather than Guitar.
  • Lol, not sure why it was ever in guitar! My bad..!!
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • As for the album, first couple of listens peg it as dull for me. I love most of their stuff but this one is further into no-hook-land than the last one, which while not great at least had some good ideas on it. This just feels like they've lost that spark :(
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8502
    Never really get the criticism that they're rehashing old material - I don't know many bands that have had a more varied sound over their career. I don't often hear people complaining that tool or incubus or brmc are always rehashing old stuff. Bands just have a sound, based on their influences and talents and the things that inspire them. And vocalists are always going to sound like themselves. There are a couple of really good tracks on this album too. Every breaking wave is brilliant, and some of the stuff near the end is dead raw sounding. I'd say tracks one and three are the ones that sound a bit shallow to me.
  • beed84beed84 Frets: 2449
    I thought Bono would've preferred to sell the album and give all the money to charity instead...